Rift, Vive, or wait?

Boris

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a side effect for long use like dizziness, headaches or something ?

That entirely depends on the user. I have never had an issue at all. Others it takes some acclimation time. But for most, even the rocky starts eventually smooth out and you get used to it. In fact a friend of mine says it helped him in other areas like when he travels and car sickness kind of stuff. You get conditioned usually after a bit if not out the gate fine.

Some people experience motion sickness, some do not. (I do not, thankfully)

Seems to be more prevalent with the helicopters than the fixed wing aircraft, based on conversations I've had with the others I know that use the Rift with DCS and experience motion sickness with it.

I guess I'll repeat what most every vr user, (vive or rift) has said regularly here and on other flight sim forums. The feeling of flight in vr and the enhancement it gives to the experience outweighs any loss of graphic fidelity. Its hard to go back to regular monitor and trackIR after vr flying for any period of time.

Speak for yourself please.

I have a Rift, but while it is fun to fly a helo or another aircraft in a short stint in VR, or just look around the cockpit and feel the size of it, I don't think I will become a VR-only flightsimmer in the foreseeable future. Definitely not with this generation of VR devices.

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Anything new has growing pains..then it matures as it ages..:thumbup:

Or just lands in a waste bin, replaced by new, better devices. Remember the first smartphones?

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Or just lands in a waste bin, replaced by new, better devices. Remember the first smartphones?

Yes, I do and I waited years before I got my first..like maybe 4 years I waited until I got my first..I don't jump into the wagon just because everyone else does..I mean look at the fools that buy a new IPhone every year..why? you only have one set of hands/ears..:doh:

[/Table]

Recruiting for Aerobatic Team/Fighter Group...

You pay now and enjoy what is available at this time, or you choose to wait and keep your money. But, when Gen 2 arrives with all the awesomeness it promises, Gen 3 will already be on the drawing board (or further along in development).. should you wait for that too?

Personally I wish I had jumped in on the VR bandwagon when DK2 became available. There was about 2 years there where I was hyped up about VR but chose to wait because "it was not ready for prime time".

At the end of the day, there is no good time to buy tech. It will always become obsolete and in a relatively short time. That is the nature of the beast.

I am greatly anticipating Gen 2, but I don't regret the money spent on my CV1 for one second. It is a huge step forward in immersion. What do you want to get out of this hobby/pastime/addiction/obsession? That is a question that only the individual can answer as there are many motivations.

I want to feel what it is like to fly a F15, Viggen, UH1, Mig15, Mig21, F5E, Mi8, etc, or at least get a taste of that feeling. Current gen VR, even with it's limitations, is the closest you can get without strapping on a real airplane. It beats a flat screen and Track-IR by a huge margin. I can't wait for Gen 2 though and I will no doubt be one of the first in line when the time comes. :) .

Edited by Astronut
  • Like 1

You pay now and enjoy what is available at this time, or you choose to wait and keep your money. But, when Gen 2 arrives with all the awesomeness it promises, Gen 3 will already be on the drawing board (or further along in development).. should you wait for that too?

Personally I wish I had jumped in on the VR bandwagon when DK2 became available. There was about 2 years there where I was hyped up about VR but chose to wait because "it was not ready for prime time".

At the end of the day, there is no good time to buy tech. It will always become obsolete and in a relatively short time. That is the nature of the beast.

I am greatly anticipating Gen 2, but I don't regret the money spent on my CV1 for one second. It is a huge step forward in immersion. That is a question that only the individual can answer.

I want to feel what it is like to fly a F15, Viggen, UH1, Mig15, Mig21, F5E, Mi8, etc, or at least get a taste of that feeling. Current gen VR, even with it's limitations, is the closest you can get without strapping on a real airplane. It beats a flat screen and Track-IR by a huge margin. I can't wait for Gen 2 though and I will no doubt be one of the first in line when the time comes. :) .

To the point...well said:thumbup:

I agree with Astronut. I did not pay for my CV1, as it was a kickstarter bonus for backing the DK1, but I would certainly have spent the money even knowing that it would make my DK1 into a museum piece.

Sometimes it is wise to wait but sometimes you just have to jump in and ride the wave.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

These depend on a person, some react to VR better, other people have issues.

You'll definitely get imprints on your face and a funny hair though ;)

http://www.popsci.com/oculus-face-is-sign-our-virtual-times

These depend on a person, some react to VR better, other people have issues.

You'll definitely get imprints on your face and a funny hair though ;)

http://www.popsci.com/oculus-face-is-sign-our-virtual-times

I get vertigo especially when going vertical and looking out sideways, also after levelling out at med-high altitude, BUT I guess I would get that in RL, that's showing how effectively my brain is being fooled,

Unfortunately the simming community is mostly communicating through the PC, and unless you know someone local the only way I to know to see if you have problems is to buy it,

also found out that my simming hours that were high before have now gone through the roof and all my other interests have now seemed some what dull :)

VR is Simming Crack

Quick question. I had my rift, but sold it to a friend because I didnt use it enough to justify having it. Lately I've been flying a lot more in DCS and I really like to get back into the rift.

I just googled Rift CV2 and I got a lot of answers for release date in the year 2019. . Apparently Q1, 2019 is officially announced somewhere. Are those informations still valid or was something moved to an earlier date? Because if it takes them another 2 years for CV2, I feel enough need to get the CV1 again... :P

Thanks guys.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Quick question. I had my rift, but sold it to a friend because I didnt use it enough to justify having it. Lately I've been flying a lot more in DCS and I really like to get back into the rift.

I just googled Rift CV2 and I got a lot of answers for release date in the year 2019. . Apparently Q1, 2019 is officially announced somewhere. Are those informations still valid or was something moved to an earlier date? Because if it takes them another 2 years for CV2, I feel enough need to get the CV1 again... :P

Thanks guys.

You really need to make that call based on your expectations vs outlay, :thumbup:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Thanks guys.

I really don't think an official date has been announced by Oculus - I have never seen any talk of it over on the Oculus forums...

I myself had originally planned on just waiting for the next generation, however I decided to go ahead and take the plunge and got the CV1 - and am very glad I did. Now I will only game in the Rift. Shortly after I added the Touch controllers.

I also now find myself using it a lot for things even other than DCS as well.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Thanks guys.

When I started this thread, this was my main consideration. Is there something new on the horizon? After doing a bit of research, it seems that in all likelihood we're not going to see a new Rift or Vive in 2017.

I don't know... maybe we'll be surprised by another manufacturer?

The main issue though is a matter of computer hardware. The current generation headsets are already very demanding. Even with a very good system you still have to turn down settings in DCS World in order to run VR smoothly.

An 8k headset won't do us much good right now.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

I'm hoping seeing that I already have controllers and basestations that when Gen 2 comes out it wont be that expensive for me and I will be able to just buy the new headset! Thats another reason I feel safer with the VIVE because I'm pretty sure for gen 2 Occulus will discard constellation tracking whereas the vive tracking is so flawless I cant imagine why they would replace their current tech.

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Hello to everybody, after reading this threads and many other about VR, I'm thinking seriously in taking one VR, which most probably will be the VIVE as I plan to use it for other games and VR experiences. My problem is that my budget is so limited that I can only afford for the VR but not any hardware upgrade I know I need if want to enjoy really stunning experiences with DCS World.

My question is, given my actual hardware specs (given in the signature) and that I can't afford any upgrade till another year once I get the VIVE, will I be able to have any reasonable VR experience with DCS World even with lowest quality settings?

Thank you very much.

My system: i7 9700K @ 3,6 GHz, 32 Gb RAM 2400 MHz, Gigabyte GTX 1080, 240 Gb SSD, Windows 10 64 bits, HOTAS Cougar, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek Combat rudder pedals, Cougar MFDs, TrackIr 5.0, Wheel Stand Pro v2, Gametrix JetSeat KW-908, Oculus Rift S

Hello to everybody, after reading this threads and many other about VR, I'm thinking seriously in taking one VR, which most probably will be the VIVE as I plan to use it for other games and VR experiences. My problem is that my budget is so limited that I can only afford for the VR but not any hardware upgrade I know I need if want to enjoy really stunning experiences with DCS World.

My question is, given my actual hardware specs (given in the signature) and that I can't afford any upgrade till another year once I get the VIVE, will I be able to have any reasonable VR experience with DCS World even with lowest quality settings?

Thank you very much.

Your specs look fine. That's actually good rig, not that much less than mine.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Should get my Rift/Touch today or tomorrow. Looking forward. Last time I wasnt familiar with the uh1 or m2000... But Now this should be great

:)

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR

Should get my Rift/Touch today or tomorrow. Looking forward. Last time I wasnt familiar with the uh1 or m2000... But Now this should be great

:)

:thumbup:

You are in for a treat!

Touch is pretty cool as well.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Well. Sadly my rift is defective and needs to be swapped out. If there is tesion on the cable, everything is alright. Pushing the cable a bit into the direction of the rift, I get an Error "Hardware Issues Detected" and the screen shuts down.

But I really enjoyed the touch demo, eben if its a bit childish :-p very intuitive.

Cant wait for the replacement.