Rift, Vive, or wait?

Boris

Well. Sadly my rift is defective and needs to be swapped out. If there is tesion on the cable, everything is alright. Pushing the cable a bit into the direction of the rift, I get an Error "Hardware Issues Detected" and the screen shuts down.

But I really enjoyed the touch demo, eben if its a bit childish :-p very intuitive.

Cant wait for the replacement.

Sorry to hear, has to be disappointing after the excitement of getting it.

Hopefully they will get you squared away ASAP.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just adjusting the head strap would turn it off.

That was the confusing part. The setup told me to put on the rift. I put on the rift -> The Rift disabled itself. When I took off the rift... the "Hardware issue detected" popup went away... :doh: Took a couple of "Put Headset on, beeing confused and take it off again"- Runs until I noticed the hardware issue detected popup. :lol:

Anyway, the retailer I purchased it from will change it out for another brand new Rift this evening. Just have to drive 2h in rushhour into the biggest city of switzerland... but better than not having the Rift ;-).

Best regards

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Anyway, the retailer I purchased it from will change it out for another brand new Rift this evening. Just have to drive 2h in rushhour into the biggest city of switzerland... but better than not having the Rift ;-).

Sounds like Oculus may have a little QC issue with that strap, glad you are able to get a replacement by driving there though - good not to be without for too long!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Just an update. Received my replacement device yesterday and was already flying and played Robo Recall. Awesome.

Just have to get used to those unreadable instruments. ^^

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR

Just an update. Received my replacement device yesterday and was already flying and played Robo Recall. Awesome.

Just have to get used to those unreadable instruments. ^^

You can read Instruments , just set pd least 1.3-.1.4 , i dont have any problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, I had issues yesterday in the M-2000c. But I'm still adjusting my settings. (PD was at 1.5).

Biggest issue were the radio frequency knobs (Not an Instrument, I agree). Freaking small letters. At least there is a big readable LCD to confirm it :)

If I'm running the Rift, I don't have to adjust the resolution, right? Cause that still states 3440x1440 in the settings... But the 2nd view on the monitor is looking about rift size.

No need to adjust resolution in the settings. Only Pixel density in the VR tab.

You can read Instruments , just set pd least 1.3-.1.4 , i dont have any problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can tell the position of the needles, that does not mean you can read all labels, esp. on the smaller gauges and switches.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Is there a Lua File to increase the VR Zoom just a tiny bit? :)

Thanks guys.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3069730&postcount=163

I don't want to spoil you a fun but think twice before order CV1.

So, those technologies look to be a year (or more) away. And about the only thing they potentially provide over current one is resolution ... and that seems like a maybe-iffy-think-about-it thing. All the other fluff is pointless fluff from a simming perspective.

Am I reading that correctly?

P.S./Edit watching the above just helped two people decide to definitely get the CV1 in a couple of weeks instead of waiting!

So, those technologies look to be a year (or more) away. And about the only thing they potentially provide over current one is resolution ... and that seems like a maybe-iffy-think-about-it thing. All the other fluff is pointless fluff from a simming perspective.

P.S./Edit watching the above just helped two people decide to definitely get the CV1 in a couple of weeks instead of waiting!

Maybe with LG but as experience with Vive teach us some stuf could be done in less than year. This is LG and prototype is good as final product maybe just some minor changes so I believe will be out in end of 3rd quarter.

3glasses blubur S1 will start delivering products in next month or two depend on sources. There is already announcement on amazon about it so this is here around the corner. And this one is real gamechanger. Display port 1.2 1280x1440 per eye on 120Hz 704PPI practically no SDE without using filters.

Today even GearVR clone + NOLO VR provide more than CV1 for half of the price and if you want invest little bit more, around 350$ you can have wireless solution. My friend both this cheep 1200 WiFi and works flawlessly only problem is LG G3 battery work little bit more than 2 hours.

Maybe with LG but as experience with Vive teach us some stuf could be done in less than year. This is LG and prototype is good as final product maybe just some minor changes so I believe will be out in end of 3rd quarter.

Dude, I watched the same source as you did, and, with no hat in the ring, definitely do not get "3rd quarter". That information was definitely not given, and is open to speculation. Not sure where you get your beliefs from, but you may want to check with realiy, virtual or not before cross the street! (And if you are speculating, then your speculations are faulty: given the way engineers talk vs marketeers, that tech is a year away, i.e. this time next year).

In any case, I don't see anything the LG is offering over the Vive/OR that is remotely interesting/useful/relevant from a simming perspective. Maybe if you want to run around a room shooting zombies or playing tennis or doing geometric puzzles or something. But not for simming.

3glasses blubur S1 will start delivering products in next month or two depend on sources. There is already announcement on amazon about it so this is here around the corner. And this one is real gamechanger. Display port 1.2 1280x1440 per eye on 120Hz 704PPI practically no SDE without using filters.

I'm no expert, but people in the know tell me that the OLED in OR/Vive over the TFT-LEF makes up all the difference and more in practice.

But hey, you spend your money how you like and i will how will :)

About only resolution, what was the different between DK2 and CV1 than only resolution and SDE. 1280x1440 vs 1080x1200 is 1,843,200px vs 1,296,000px it is more than 42% pixels per eye. Just for comparison DK2 is 960x1080 per eye with 1.036.800px what is just 25% more pixels per eye for CV1 and we know how major better picture is on CV1 comparing to DK2.

Just resolution? What about major issue SDE? DK2 have cca 360PPI comparing to DK1 280PPI or CV1 460PPI and 540PPI on LG G5 or 704PPI on 3Glasses S1 and 90Hz vs 120Hz on S1.

What that means in practice? better picture quality, easyer and clear reading of instruments, Better spotting and recognized enemies in distance and on the ground. So forom real simmers perspective this is game changer major issue not pointless. Same as it was difference between DK2 and CV1.

And with all this coming segnificant cost saving which you can invest in better GPU for even better results. So see for your self how pointles is give less mony for more results and rush to buy CV1.

I really have hope for the 3Glasses. They are a Microsoft AR partner, so has to be seen as a serious contender. As you say it, you have trouble making out targets in the distance with the current offering. Less critical if you fly a helicopter, but in a fast jet it is just to confusing. Really hoping we can get a good VR-set on the market by the time 2,5 and F-18 are out.

Edited by pegon
grammar

Intel Core i7­6700K, 32GB DDR4, 512GB PCIe SSD + 2TB HDD, GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Pimax 5k+

About only resolution, what was the different between DK2 and CV1 than only resolution and SDE. 1280x1440 vs 1080x1200 is 1,843,200px vs 1,296,000px it is more than 42% pixels per eye. Just for comparison DK2 is 960x1080 per eye with 1.036.800px what is just 25% more pixels per eye for CV1 and we know how major better picture is on CV1 comparing to DK2.

Just resolution? What about major issue SDE? DK2 have cca 360PPI comparing to DK1 280PPI or CV1 460PPI and 540PPI on LG G5 or 704PPI on 3Glasses S1 and 90Hz vs 120Hz on S1.

What that means in practice? better picture quality, easyer and clear reading of instruments, Better spotting and recognized enemies in distance and on the ground. So forom real simmers perspective this is game changer major issue not pointless. Same as it was difference between DK2 and CV1.

And with all this coming segnificant cost saving which you can invest in better GPU for even better results. So see for your self how pointles is give less mony for more results and rush to buy CV1.

Mate, everybody wants better vr with no doubt. But there are people who wants to enjoy the vr now and not to wait for something that nobody knows for sure when it will come out.

I am hearing "wait for next gen" from times even before cv1 came out which is about a year ago now, if you have the patience to wait that long - fine. For me life is too short to wait for years for a device that may come out or may not so I prefer to enjoy what is available now and obviously I am not alone.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mate, everybody wants better vr with no doubt. But there are people who wants to enjoy the vr now and not to wait for something that nobody knows for sure when it will come out.

I am hearing "wait for next gen" from times even before cv1 came out which is about a year ago now, if you have the patience to wait that long - fine. For me life is too short to wait for years for a device that may come out or may not so I prefer to enjoy what is available now and obviously I am not alone.

No mate there are at least 2 of us. I have only had the rift since Christmas but the updates to Oculus and DCS software has been fantastic. Its so smooth now even when FPS is below 45. If you can afford it then buy it. :thumbup:

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What everyone needs to understand is that VR is in its infancy. People have an unrealistic vision of how fast the technology will progress. The "Dev Kits" you see at GDC now probably wont be available for a few years. Right now I look at Oculus as the benchmark for development time as far as VR is concerned. The rift was debuted in 2012 and did not hit the market until 2016 and that was with Facebook money. Realistically I dont see a real upgrade coming for 3 to 4 years. Buy now and enjoy!!!

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

Sorry, but you are wrong, the 3Glasses will be out this year. The reason you see so many current gen VR sets on ebay, is that they are not what i call threshold systems. Myself, i had the DK2, lived trough the novelty period of 3d. I have tried the CV1, but is just doesn't have the resolution i will spend money on.

Intel Core i7­6700K, 32GB DDR4, 512GB PCIe SSD + 2TB HDD, GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Pimax 5k+

Its the same as every technology, you would never buy a car or a phone or a tv or a PC if you waited. The technology is advancing so you need to bite the bullet at some point.

Most people on here should be experts in tech investments being as though you need to keep your eye on PC hardware to run this sim and that gets updated 3 times a year!

I am in the process of selling a house whilst building a new one and renting one, similar to 3 mortgages so a new PC and Rift are just out of the question, but when the house sells, if there is no change in the market I will be going in for a Occulus as I only play FPS and Sims (and strategy games which still need a monitor).

Whilst a full room setup will be a future buy for the 'movie room' I still need to have my own for my time.

This thread doesnt need to get into a 'what the future holds' argument, it just informs people of the status of VR to make their own minds up.

What could be interesting to know is what plans ED has for the Microsoft software VR platform. It will be a major player in the future of VR, and to know what plans ED has for software implementation is something i look forward to. (are they working with pre-release software, do they intend to get developer kits ?)