Rift, Vive, or wait?

Boris

Sorry, but you are wrong, the 3Glasses will be out this year. The reason you see so many current gen VR sets on ebay, is that they are not what i call threshold systems. Myself, i had the DK2, lived trough the novelty period of 3d. I have tried the CV1, but is just doesn't have the resolution i will spend money on.

It might come or not, there is no official release so it is just guesing and speculation. And even if its out, noone knows how it will work and what issues it will have and etc...

It is like DCS 2.5, just 2 more weeks :smilewink:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its the same as every technology, you would never buy a car or a phone or a tv or a PC if you waited. The technology is advancing so you need to bite the bullet at some point.

Most people on here should be experts in tech investments being as though you need to keep your eye on PC hardware to run this sim and that gets updated 3 times a year!

I am in the process of selling a house whilst building a new one and renting one, similar to 3 mortgages so a new PC and Rift are just out of the question, but when the house sells, if there is no change in the market I will be going in for a Occulus as I only play FPS and Sims (and strategy games which still need a monitor).

Whilst a full room setup will be a future buy for the 'movie room' I still need to have my own for my time.

This thread doesnt need to get into a 'what the future holds' argument, it just informs people of the status of VR to make their own minds up.

So true

OT Mr Burns my wife and I are looking at a self build would it be ok to pick your brains via PM

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The reason you see so many current gen VR sets on ebay, is that they are not what i call threshold systems.

Actually, the more likely reason is that far too many people spend beyond their means and then have to sell their purchases to pay the bills.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Actually, the more likely reason is that far too many people spend beyond their means and then have to sell their purchases to pay the bills.

And many people bought vr without considering their systems capabilities and buying a proper graphic card cost more than the rift.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No mate there are at least 2 of us. I have only had the rift since Christmas but the updates to Oculus and DCS software has been fantastic. Its so smooth now even when FPS is below 45. If you can afford it then buy it. :thumbup:

This updates are more developed outside of Oculus and affecting on my GearVR even more.

What everyone needs to understand is that VR is in its infancy. People have an unrealistic vision of how fast the technology will progress. The "Dev Kits" you see at GDC now probably wont be available for a few years. Right now I look at Oculus as the benchmark for development time as far as VR is concerned. The rift was debuted in 2012 and did not hit the market until 2016 and that was with Facebook money. Realistically I dont see a real upgrade coming for 3 to 4 years. Buy now and enjoy!!!

Vive was create in year and was release before CV1 in the end.

Sorry, but you are wrong, the 3Glasses will be out this year. The reason you see so many current gen VR sets on ebay, is that they are not what i call threshold systems. Myself, i had the DK2, lived trough the novelty period of 3d. I have tried the CV1, but is just doesn't have the resolution i will spend money on.

Exactly.

It might come or not, there is no official release so it is just guesing and speculation. And even if its out, noone knows how it will work and what issues it will have and etc...

It is like DCS 2.5, just 2 more weeks :smilewink:

Again you spreading false and wrong information based on your own opinion. We already discus about it and pleas check the links in other post where I show you how wrong you are.

And many people bought vr without considering their systems capabilities and buying a proper graphic card cost more than the rift.

Yes most because people like you who claiming there is no other VR then CV1.

My point is not to convince people to not buy CV1 just to check alternative too. I see my friend CV1 and I can tell you my LG G3 based Gear VR give me better results for half of the price. So it is at least something to take in consideration before you heedlessly jump into it.

About the price compare it, in difference in price you will get dissent GPU which will significantly improve your performance.

I already enjoy in VR same as you or even better for more than half money you pay for your good but overpriced OR CV1. That's the point. I show you alternative not convincing anyone not to buy CV1. So future VR fan are smart enough to made their own decision based on facts not persuade him to do what I want.

Edited by wormeaten

This updates are more developed outside of Oculus and affecting on my GearVR even more.

Vive was create in year and was release before CV1 in the end.

Exactly.

Again you spreading false and wrong information based on your own opinion. We already discus about it and pleas check the links in other post where I show you how wrong you are.

Yes most because people like you who claiming there is no other VR then CV1.

My point is not to convince people to not buy CV1 just to check alternative too. I see my friend CV1 and I can tell you my LG G3 based Gear VR give me better results for half of the price. So it is at least something to take in consideration before you heedlessly jump into it.

About the price compare it, in difference in price you will get dissent GPU which will significantly improve your performance.

I already enjoy in VR same as you or even better for more than half money you pay for your good but overpriced OR CV1. That's the point. I show you alternative not convincing anyone not to buy CV1. So future VR fan are smart enough to made their own decision based on facts not persuade him to do what I want.

I dont really care who will buy what. And What exactly false information am I spreading ? I never claimed that it is not just my opinion.

If you know the officially release date of any future headset which you would recommend please feel free to share.

I have tested gear vr with Samsung Galaxy s6 which is full hd phone and let alone the worst res, I felt some annoying lag in the tracking and some blurring while I turn my head probably due to the refresh rate. It gets very hot which makez your face suffer :) The battery is dying for 1 hour and the charging cable keeps getting unplugged when I move my head and I believe the usb in of the phone will break as it is not designed for this moving.

You obviously cant use it as phone because you don't want someone to call you while you are trying to shoot at some targets :)

And it sort of dangerous, have you seen exploded overcharged battery? I dont want this in front of my face.

So comparing gear vr with OC I definitely have better experience with the rift. Not to mention I expect touch in couple of days.

And btw afaik gear vr is only for Samsung phones how do you use it with LG (dont quote me on that) ?

In the end I dont feel not smart by buying the rift as I own it for almost an year now had dk2 before and have countless of hours great fun in many racing sims and dcs and some other vr stuff. It might be better options for cheaper price but I don't know them.

I will definitely buy the next gen headset when it comes out and I dont need to save from headset to buy hardware.

I spent thousands of euros for race sim hardware, 2dof rig, fly sim hardware and dont regred every cent :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And btw afaik gear vr is only for Samsung phones how do you use it with LG (dont quote me on that) ?

You don't. You need an LG 360 VR headset. From what I have read (on LGs website), it requires an LG G5 (the only phone it works with) not a G3 and it costs twice what Gear VR sells for (probably because it doesn't use the phone's display).

http://www.lg.com/us/mobile-accessories/lg-LGR100.AVRZTS-360-vr

EDIT: I stand corrected, slightly, about the G3.

The VR for G3 can't be bought. It's a gift given away to new G3 owners, to help keep sales going as the phone passes its six-month mark. It won't be given away in the U.S., but spokesman Ken Hong said LG is happy to work with any carrier that wants to include it.

The device is made of three pieces of plastic. The G3 snaps into the outer shell, which has a hole for the G3's volume buttons and headphone jack. Then there's an insert, which splits the screen into two halves, and finally some lenses to go over your eyes. It worked fine with glasses. There's no strap; you have to hold it up to your head.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2477550,00.asp

EDIT2:

Actually, it does seem to be purchasable but it is still Google Cardboard made out of plastic.

Review from Amazon:

Appears to be a resale of demo equipment.cm. Actually marked as not for resale. Instructions were for Goolge cardboard and some other device

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

The Vive was not created in a year, Steam had been working on it for years, look back around 2012-2013 when they were giving demos of VR. Vive was not created from "scratch" in one year.

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog