Since update DCS seems to be having massive FPS drops!

Wolf8312

DCS 1.5.6

Guys everything was great but then there was an update, now no matter what I'm flying (I even put pixel density to 1) I am getting massive fps drops again whereby the game will flash me out and back in again so I can momentarily see the steam VR background. I was having this about a week ago but solved it with a driver update but what could be going on now? Anyone else having problems or know a solution. These are not just flashes either but more like masssive loading sequences! Will try to restart and verify game cache but otherwise I aint got alot of ideas. The loading times have also become much longer almost as if it crashes. I'll try DCS 2 to check its not my computer.

Edited by Wolf8312
Solved- 1.5.6 unstable rolled back to 1.5.5

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

No guys DCS 2 has no problems whatsoever! DCS 1.5.6 is unplayable at the moment for me in VR hopefully if I opt out of beta I can get back to learning my mig 21. Very frustrating!

Edited by Wolf8312

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

There is a few things being looked at, Devs will post more information when they have it.

It is however not limited to VR or Viggen for that matter.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Yeah I opted out of beta and problem solved. Phew I really did start to think God what now! If I spent as much time in VR DCS as I do messing about trying to get it working properly I'd be an ace by now! Still its worth it. The Mig 21 in VR is incredible!

While I got you guys. When I lock onto a target with the radar, is there some other requirement that I must meet before firing the missile? Is it a certain range I have to be within or do I need to be facing my crosshairs towards the target?

It seems that I can get one off after a long wait but then I'm not sure why exactly it fired when it did and I wasnt able to repeat it!

------------

The issue also appears to be with a recent update of SteamVR. It looks like DCS may be periodically starving the vrcompositor of data and this is triggering an aggessive "unresponsive tracking" condition which is causing the "loading stage" screen to appear and then disappear when the feed resumes.

Yes it does seem to be something new even when FPS rates where bad I never used to get these flashes I still get them very occasionally with DCS 2 (though hardely ever with 1.5.5) does seem to be performace related but like I said this never used to happen at all.

------------

• 2 weeks later...

My DCS just updated to 5.5.6 again, seems more stable but just got a big worrying crash and I'm not sure if this time we can roll back changes?

------------

Yeah its defo worse because I'm getting that damned grey flash much more when the level loads up right at the beggining! But it isnt unplayable for me as I just finished testing it, it works about as well as it did!

I wish we had the option to go back but alas now we are stuck! VR is so frustrating! What settings are you using? Recently I've found its best to turn almost everything off except for MSSA x2 with a PD of 1.3. Why do you say its unplayable what symptoms?

Its this grey flash thats driving me insane but I have to say I'm not sure its a VR problem or a DCS problem?

I guess maybe the later because in some versions its a huge problem in others not much, and in others basically not at all.

Could the devs leave us 1.5.5 until these things stabalize? I'm loving the cockpit labels though, and I'm sure in the end everything will be worked out! VR is really frustrating though!

------------

Wolf,I feel your pain.. I do like you everything off ..no MSSA and PD at 1.3. Vive will flash at times but only for a second or two. Its laggy if you turn your head at all. I can fly it as is but its not good. 2.05 is better.

I was hoping it would improve a little more with the update.

My rig.. AMD 8320 8 core,16 gig ram,XFX R480 8gig 250 SSD I guess I could try more ram but I don't think it will help a lot with the jitters.

BSD Discord , BSD Website

If it doesn't hover, it just sucks and blows

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

I can honestly say that I have not seen any difference in frame rates in 1.5.6 I am using the CV1 headset and its performing really well on medium settings with pixel density at 2.1

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i9-9900K - Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master Motherboard - Nvidia RTX 3090 - 64gb Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200MHz - Win 10 64bit - Reverb G2

On all missions? Just I've been practicing on the Su25T command post strike mission recently. On the steam version and come the update yesterday frames dropped to ~22fps. But then noticed not on the other missions I tried and say open conflict server. Read someone mention cloud density and opened command post strike mission in the editor and lowered from 7 to 1 and hey presto frames back to 45-90

• Like 1

Agree that something has changed with the 1.5.6 update. I'm not seeing the "grey flashes", but the framerates have taken a bad hit and it seems to correlate with the density of clouds in the sky.

The problem in VR is that once framerates drop sufficiently, it becomes actively nauseating and unpleasant to fly :<. I'm trying to roll back multiple settings to restore framerates I had under 1.5.5, but it's frustrating. Still, I understand this is a very new technology and ED is feeling their way through it. Appreciate the efforts to get the tooltips and highlights working in VR.

Does it work with the steam version I cant see to get it to work or detect DCS. I copied the DCS updater into the main DCS folder can load it up and all but when I click on things nothing seems to happen!

------------

My framerate has taken quite a hit with 1.5.6. I've just downgraded to 1.5.5 to confirm and as soon as I'm in the cockpit on the briefing screen my FPS has dropped from 90 to 45 (Instant Action - UH1H - Free Flight).

It feels like it's taking longer to load, too.

Modules: UH-1H, Mi8, SA-342, Nevada

Controls: Pro Flight Trainer Puma, Saitek X52 Pro, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Razer Tartarus

PC: i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz, MSI Gaming X 1080, 32GB RAM, Samsung 950 Pro M2 NVMe

HMD: Oculus Rift CV1

20fps on the instant action Harbor Tour mission for the Huey on minimum settings. In fact changing settings makes no difference. Something has broken for vr support in the latest build.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Yes I tried clear sky's by adjusting the mission in the editor. It made no difference.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

are you guys putting in clear skies to rule out the Cloud Bug?

Can you explain how to do that?

Compare 1.5.6 to 2.04 is like night and day and really shows me how poorly 1.5.6 is performing. In the weather tab in mission editor cant find anything about clear skies.

------------