Is TILS working?

Dave317

I watched Bunyaps video about TILS approaches and pretty sure I know how to do it. The runway heading shows up fine on the radar screen but the HUD tries to steer me to the right of the runway at a slight angle and I don't get any glide path indication on the ADI.

The TILS will steer you three degrees off, by design (from memory, it might be some other small angle). And I think you need to make sure that SI SLAV is set to FRÅN to get the steering bars on the ADI, could that be the problem?

Edited by Corrigan

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

I watched Bunyaps video about TILS approaches and pretty sure I know how to do it. The runway heading shows up fine on the radar screen but the HUD tries to steer me to the right of the runway at a slight angle and I don't get any glide path indication on the ADI.

The sight angle is intended, it is well covered in the manual, you should read it if you haven't :)

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

The si slav is set to Fran. I don't mean the slight angle of the tils where it is placed slightly over to one side of the runway. I'm taking about a 5 to 10 degree angle that is trying to steer me onto the ground a few hundred meters away from the real runway. I'm wondering if it's the 6 degree magnetic difference that I'm unable to set in the aircraft.

That magnetic course knob should already be set correctly by default, you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Which runway is this? Maybe it's a local bug and you should try another field?

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

I had the same issue. But don´t know at the moment if my SI Slav was set to Från.

Took off från airport nr12 in the kneeboard list and set L1 to nr13.

When I used the TILS aproach the adi showed the right hight but wanted me to be way off to the right. Same with HUD.

Win10Prox64, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro, Intel i7-9900K@5,1GHz, 32Gb DDR4 GSkill TridentZ@3900GHz, Gigabyte RTX 2080ti Xtreme 11Gb, Game on Samsung M2 960 Pro, TM WH HOTAS, TM TPR , HP Reverb Pro G1, TM MFD

I've had no trouble. The TILS glideslope is 3 degrees right of the runway. If you're to the left of the TILS slope (lined up on the runway centerline, for instance, if you follow the LB circle all the way around), the aircraft will generate steering commands to take you to the glideslope. The HUD symbology will therefore be to the right of the runway, and your flight path will be to the right of the extended centerline on the central indicator. Follow the HUD symbology, and eventually, it'll steer you back toward the runway centerline. The descent point is fairly close to the runway, only about 12km out, too.

You can see that process in my video here, at about 44:31.

If you're following the same procedure, then I'm not sure what's going on for you. I haven't had any TILS issues at Senaki, Kobuleti, or Sochi—maybe try one of those to be sure?

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

I've had another little play with tils today and it seems to be working. I assume it was something I was doing wrong or maybe there was a drift error in the nav system by I didn't think there was. I noticed today that you can't select radar altitude on the hud whilst in landing mode. Is this intentional?

I've had another little play with tils today and it seems to be working. I assume it was something I was doing wrong or maybe there was a drift error in the nav system by I didn't think there was. I noticed today that you can't select radar altitude on the hud whilst in landing mode. Is this intentional?

I believe so—the commanded descent is based on barometric altitude, so presumably the Swedes didn't want to let you mistakenly watch the wrong altitude.

As for drift error, that may have been it—if you're at the edge of the TILS signal, where it only tells you what side of the runway you're on, and additionally, if the nav system thinks you're on the other side of the runway, the commanded flight path is 45 degrees off the centerline toward the center of the TILS signal, to ensure that you get to correct guidance quickly.

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission