DelanClip IR Clutter with TrackIR Camera

I purchased a DelanClip after my TrackIR Pro Clip finally disintegrated. I'm very impressed with the build quality of it and it seems great on the outside however I'm getting a lot of accuracy problems.

What I see on the camera are the IR points with a lot of clutter around them. I've confirmed the TrackClip Pro is not showing this. I've also reached out to DelanClip support but crickets for a week.

Below you can see what the camera sees.

RqmTTU1.png

UUaaYZI.png

This is a normal TrackClip Pro

3CREInY.png

I'll reach out to DelanClip again but curious if the community has any input.

My guess is that it's reflecting off the shiny metal. Spray paint it flat black if that's the case.

That's good advice. After I got new glasses, I couldn't figure out why my TrackIR would go crazy occasionally. It turned out to be reflections off my shiny new eyeglass' frames!

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

Yeah, I had this, too. I took a black marksalot to it to fix it. Also my glasses cause problems sometimes, particularly when I turn my head just right, the lense gets between the light and the camera. Doesn't freeze it up, just makes it spaz out.

Delan really needs to just wrap or coat it. I'm surprised he never foresaw the issues of shiny reflective surfaces with an item that is light sensitive @@

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I never had this issue with my DelanClip, even when using it in a room with much background light.

Did you try to increase filtering in the camera tab?

With the powerful LEDs on this clip you can increase the filtering quite a lot.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Some TIR units years ago, 6, 7? were shipped with apparently micro scratched covers that lead to similar looking issues. (mine was one). It sounds dumb but a good fix was some black nylons stretched taught over the lens. It serves as a filter, has no effect on accuracy/resolution, and can also help with IR saturated situations/setups.

(I cut out a toe, stretched it over and zip tied it in the back around the USB. The magnet holds well enough through the nylons.)

I never had this issue with my DelanClip, even when using it in a room with much background light.

Did you try to increase filtering in the camera tab?

With the powerful LEDs on this clip you can increase the filtering quite a lot.

Did you look at the OP's pics? It is all the way up, or nearly so (can't remember if it goes to 255 or not).

Some TIR units years ago, 6, 7? were shipped with apparently micro scratched covers that lead to similar looking issues.

If that were the case, he would have seen issues with his ProClip as well.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Hey y'all,

Big thanks to everyone jumping in to offer some wisdom.

In the end the solution was indeed reflections of the VERY strong IR LEDs on the Delanclip. The reflections were happening both on the clip itself but also a large part due to the silver color of the headphone cans.

I put masking tape on the side of headphones with the clip and colored the tape with an industrial strength black permanent marker. I also applied marker to the Delanclip itself which worked for the most part. I think I need to put some colored tape on it because the marker tip is too thick to get full detailed coverage.

Again - thanks to the community and thanks to Delan for making an awesome device.

• Like 1

Did you look at the OP's pics? It is all the way up, or nearly so (can't remember if it goes to 255 or not).

You're right, my bad, didn't notice that.

But have a very clean picture here, even with lower filter threshold (240).

Hey y'all,

Big thanks to everyone jumping in to offer some wisdom.

In the end the solution was indeed reflections of the VERY strong IR LEDs on the Delanclip. The reflections were happening both on the clip itself but also a large part due to the silver color of the headphone cans.

I put masking tape on the side of headphones with the clip and colored the tape with an industrial strength black permanent marker. I also applied marker to the Delanclip itself which worked for the most part. I think I need to put some colored tape on it because the marker tip is too thick to get full detailed coverage.

Again - thanks to the community and thanks to Delan for making an awesome device.

Interesting.

And thanks to you also for coming back with explanation and solution to the issue. :)

I wonder why I never got that issue with mine, I never modified anything on it.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

• 1 year later...

Thx Guys I have the same problem with delan clip, and tonight will definitevely try to mask the delan clip, Im going nuts playing dcs with view warping now and then.

I also use some backlights led behind the moniotor, Im 99% sure this is the problem,I never thought about that. Will post if works or not!!!