Level Release bombing- for RagnarDa

AvroLanc

I've been experimenting with the bomb release modes and they all seem to make sense except the PLAN ANF - level release.

What exactly is the symbology telling you? Is the pre-trigger unsafe a CCIP indication? I don't think so. What about after trigger unsafe? The aiming reticle drops out of sight... Is the reticle now indicating a CCIP solution - again I'm not sure.

What is the correct moment to UNSAFE? What is the correct moment to fire? At the moment I'm thinking just before you intend to fire - otherwise you loose the reticle......

I've learnt that it can be used for both high-drag and low-drag weapons. Obviously the low-drags are really impractical in this mode since you have to be very fast (1000 km/h +) and low to get a solution, but there seems to be a safety that inhibits release at this height anyway.

The high drags are a little difficult as well.........

RagnarDa, one of the devs gave a really good description of the AKAK rocket modes and thinking behind it. Can he chip in here to provide a little background thinking and explanation of what's going on in this mode too......

Thanks.

I think the goal of the sight is to smoothly guide the pilot to the safety altitude (200, 400 or 600m iirc depending on your setting in the mission editor) while simultaneously aiming the bombs. xxJohnnyxx had a good video explaining how to use it. Before you unsafe, the sight is displayed in a way that if you try to aim it at something on the ground the plane will at the same time reach the safety height (if you are too low, the sight will be low so you have to raise the nose and vice versa if you are too high). You put the aiming-dot on the target and then you unsafe which will mark it for the weapon system. Now the sight will either be on, over or under your target. If it is below the target you need to raise your nose to maintain the safety altitude. Now just fly towards the target and wait for the firing-cue. If you have the high safety altitude set or if you are flying slow, the sight will eventually go below your hud so you won't see the timer. You can just pull the trigger at any point before the fire-cue and the bombs will hit anyway.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

Wow, thanks that's a real revelation... without sounding too dramatic of course.

I had no idea the weapon safety altitude setting in the mission editor applied to bombs - I thought it was just for the Rb04 for some reason. Trigger unsafe with the marker on the target works really well - you're marking the target and the bombing reticle then follows the marked point.....got it. You can fire at any point after the distance line flashes right? You don't need to wait for the two 'wings' to appear? If you do it seems to drop long.

The safety altitude setting doesn't seem to affect the high drag bombs though? I can kinda see the logic behind this, if correct.

Does the safety alt apply to apply all bomb modes - Dive, CCIP, Toss, Nav, Radar? Thanks RagnarDa.

If you use the medium safety altitude (default now) it's 400m IIRC, low = 200m and high 600m. In the video the default was 600m and it was giving him indication to fly higher.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

When it comes for the level bombing after a short practice (and reading the manual chapter for 100 times) I think there are a number of things that make a difference.

1. Being in a shallow dive helps a lot. Get to 300-400 m AGL at 7km to the target, start a shallow dive to arrive at 200m over the target area.

2. Trigger UNSAFE - marks the target! May be obvious for many of people out there. It's even described in manual but took me a number of failed passes to realize it.

In other words - go UNSAFE only when target reticle is placed on the target.

3. This one I'm not certain but going trigger UNSAFE should be also done when the radar is ranging - fin is displayed in HUD. This is why a shallow dive helps a lot. When flying perfectly leveled at 200 m most of the time's the radar was not ranging at all.

4. The release indication will not disappear below HUD if approached in shallow dive.

5. Use the low drag bombs. While the manual says that level bombing is meant to be done with LD bombs I had some success also with HD variant.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

• 2 weeks later...

2. Trigger UNSAFE - marks the target! May be obvious for many of people out there. It's even described in manual but took me a number of failed passes to realize it.

This is a really good point. I didn't realize that until I read your post. Thanks.

In PLAN and CCIP with HD bombs (master mode NAV), trigger up doesn't mark the target. In fact the waypoint doesn't have to be a target waypoint. Assuming 0 navigation drift, just go low and fast and make sure you're HUD is set low. When the target is between the dot and the circle: pickle!

In PLAN + ANF I haven't had much success though. I mark the target as required, but my bombs always seem to fall long.

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index