Radio beacon types for ARK-9

am trying to increase use of the ARK-9 system but was wondering what the various radio beacon are on the mission map for like AP, AN, N, P, AH....dont get it

regards Ian

Those letters are the morse code identifiers of beacons. When tuning them in, you need to listen to the morse code to ensure you've tuned the correct beacon.

Two letter codes are for "outer" beacons (somewhere 3-5km from the end of the runway) and single-letter codes are for inner beacons (around 1km from the end of the runway).

For Anapa, only the active runway NDBs will be transmitting, based on the wind. So if RWY 04 at Anapa is active (e.g. Wind calm or from the Northeast) then you can tune in AN/N. If RWY 22 is active (wind from the Southwest in excess of 5 m/s) then you'll only be able to hear "AP" and "P." Since they're on the same frequencies, you can actually use the morse code identifier to determine the active runway.

Obviously for a helicopter, there's little use for outer beacons unless you're trying to fly a fixed-wing-sized pattern.

--gos

Extra note: If you tune inner or outer marker beacons, beware that they will only transmit if the wind-direction and speed is adequate to activate that direction as an ILS option.

So if a runway 09/27 only has ILS for the 27 runway, and the wind blows from 270 for 15kts, then the ILS beacons will not be active because the active runway would be 09..

ASUS Z170-P w/ Intel i7-7700, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSDs out the wazoo and a GTX 1080Ti,

Oculus Rift CV1, TM Warthog stick and throttle, TM Cougar MFDs, MFG Crosswind pedals and WheelStandPro Warthog (w/ the custom small Warthog plate)

Former F-16 Ground Crew @ RNoAF

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I use the inner and outer beacons during IFR approaches. The benefit of being able to tune 2 different freqs and flipping between the 2 allows this and should with practice get you lined up on approach by switching too the pretuned inner marker as soon as the outer marker is in visual range. I have always enjoyed the intricacies of navigation in DCS and now with the rift it feels so much more natural to use the navigation suite especially the doppler system

Edited by Cibit

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]