microhelis.de simulation controllers review and discussion

Thanks for the fast and very helpful answer trip.

Yeah, I thought about the warthog mod but flying without any tension or resistance whatsoever seems challenging. If the stick would have just enough resistance to stay in place where you move it, that would be perfect.

Maybe putting the warthog in jello would work, haha.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the fast and very helpful answer trip.

Yeah, I thought about the warthog mod but flying without any tension or resistance whatsoever seems challenging. If the stick would have just enough resistance to stay in place where you move it, that would be perfect.

Maybe putting the warthog in jello would work, haha.

I have about a 4" extension on my Warthog, big spring removed, all four small springs moved to above the plate and myself and all my guest pilots have found it to be quite good. I think it's a lot more challenging to fly fighting that spring than like this.

Give it a try, it only takes a few minutes to "undo" it also =).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim:

Regarding the centering of the cyclic debate there is one potential issue that is being overlooked. Calibration. Windows software along with many 3rd party flight sims (x-plane for example) require you to centre the controls during the calibration process. Getting this step wrong can throw off the calibration. For this reason alone I think adding an ability to electronically/mechanically centre the stick would be beneficial especially on a force trim setup where the ability to move the stick already exists. I know from my own cyclic that does not have any centering forces that calibration can be a headache as a result of this. You can eyeball it during this step but it's not ideal.

Edited by Frusheen

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Good point, removing the spring doesn't take long. I'll give t a try soon.

So I am getting it right, that there currently is not a cyclic with working force trim available, correct?

Incorrect. There is one I know of but the price is prohibitive. I can't recall off hand how much but I remember I couldn't afford it lol

http://www.ryanaerospace.com.au/Products.html

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Hi,

I was more thinking in the hobby price range, lol.

but how high is hobby range?

In the current state, the FTR cyclic mechanics (roll and pitch) would be complete with 2 axles drives, the EC-135 Cyclic handle and the Powerbox with integrated BU and BBI board from Bodnar in the range of approx. 1300,-€ to 1400,-€ :huh:

BTW: I try to make some hints for my controls direct in the shop.

For this I made a new product group "Tutorial" in the " the "home cockpit" group.

regards / gruesse yogi

Sorry to flood this thread. I just thought I'd add one quick thing regarding the centering and the MicroHeli cyclic. You can adjust the spring force on the MicroHeli cyclic. The centering force is there, but it's extremely gentle. For my purposes (until that FTR module comes out), I'll gladly put up with it.

My pit is torn apart right now, but I'll post what his controls look like in my set up when I get a chance.

Hi,

for those who do not want to make a real heli floor:music_whistling:, I made some research for a stable aluminum box for mounting the collective on what ever they want.

IMG_0585.thumb.JPG.b591a1dcb28b9752fc371013d034695a.JPG

next days this part will be able to order in the shop.

This stable powder-coated box, with 4mm walls, can be mount with 4 screws through its bottom, and should remain some crashes.

regards / gruesse yogi

@yogi149 My cyclic came on Friday but since my tracking never updated after leaving Germany I didn't know! I thought it was a package for my wife and she didn't tell me it wasn't. :cry:

So I found out it was here yesterday. Recorded an unboxing video but it's a terrible vid so will probably record a new video showing the box and parts to post instead.

Mini-review here as it will be a few days until I do the proper review which I will put in the OP:

I had some reservations about a 3D printed joystick grip but the parts are very sturdy and the grip feels very good in my hand. The grip feels very solid, with no flexing and NO NOISE when you squeeze it like most every retail plastic joystick. That drives me crazy. The grip looks pretty good. You can see it's 3D printed from the texture in reasonably bright light but I don't feel like it's very noticeable due to the good quality of the print and the coating Microhelis applies. It has a textured almost slightly gritty feel to it, like the Rustoleum Bedliner spray cans I like to use on my stuff. So far it's the best thing I've found to put on plastic stuff to make it feel like it's robust instead of feeling like a toy. Some people might not be partial to this finish but I think it's great.

The buttons are good quality, with a nice springy feel. HAT switches have good feel, much better than others I bought online.

The hydraulic dampers are metal not plastic, and have a quality feel. I'll have to report back on the actual damping feel after I get to try them with a stick installed. Spring tension as mentioned is very low which is good. I was thinking I'd remove them but now I don't think I will feel the need.

Packaging was excellent, it arrived safely and the way it was boxed up it would have been very difficult to damage it.

Assembly looks like it will be straighforward, I'll record and post a video. It will require some basic tools but most people buying these items should have what they need.

I'm very pleased, I'd buy a bunch more stuff from Microhelis if I had the money but I've got to save up for Yogi's FTR module and pedal mechanical bases! :thumbup:

I'm dying to get it assembled and installed but there are some other tasks I should complete first so it might be a few days or a week until I get the assembly video and proper review posted.

Edited by TripRodriguez

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is there any chance you will be adding an enclosure box to your EC pedals and your collective? Also, will you be updating the current cyclic enclosure box when your release the FTR module? What I am most worried about is not having everything spaced properly with respect to each component. I want to ensure the cyclic is the exact distance from the seat and the collective height is correct, etc.

Edited by Mr.Fenestron

Hi,

Will the board fit into the enclosure?

I do not think that space is any problem.:music_whistling:

IMG_0589.thumb.JPG.3abbb57b968fae0c299ed1f5de9dbef4.JPG

But I have to add some mounting holes for the board and the USB.

Some hints where to make them? Top or side?

regards / gruesse yogi

Hi,

But I have to add some mounting holes for the board and the USB.

Some hints where to make them? Top or side?

IMO, if the box will be surfaced mounted, the USB connection should be on the Aft panel of the box.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

Yogi, as we discussed via PM (jgia@comcast), I am interested in a more horizontal position of the collective stick when it is in full down position.

Instead of you customizing a box with an angled base for me, I think I can take the box as shown and build my own wedged shaped base to achieve the desired angle of inclination.

Since I am not mounting the box on the floor, I need a shorter collective shaft. If the shaft does not carry any wires and the connection with the collective base is a simple slide on, then I can take the entire unit as is and shorten the stick myself. What do you think?

BTW, I think that you offering this surface mounting box will greatly increase demand for this collective to those with pits without "floors".

I've followed Sim Collective offerings closely for some time now and yours is the most promising in all respects that I have seen. Nice job Yogi.

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

Hi Chic,

[ATTACH]159069[/ATTACH]

this could be your version, 22° and 150mm shorter tube.

The UH stick has no interior cable on the mounting end, so the tube can be adjusted to the seat height.

Yogi, that is a beautiful thing!

I don't want to tie up this thread so I will PM you to finalize specs and get an order in.

JUST CHOPPERS

Hey folks, just a quick update here.

I've got my Cyclic mostly mounted in the cockpit now, and let me tell you having hydraulically damped cyclic, hydraulically damped pedals, and hydraulically damped collective feels like the sim is on a whole new level. :surprise:

Due to my specific needs with the motion sim I had to build a raised false floor to be fairly confident that my cyclic base wouldn't get damaged in the event of a malfunction with the motion sim so I ended up building a new false raised floor to mount the stick to so it's farther from the motion actuators. Due to these things I needed to shorten the tube of the stick a couple inches and I was really worried about getting the wires rerouted and the mounting holes re-drilled but it went pretty well and only thing I goofed on was the centering of the holes so my stick is now a few degrees twisted right from where it should have been (my fault just to be clear). Not a big deal in this case as the EC grip is twisted much to the left to begin with so it's still very comfortable and I probably won't bother fixing it.

I have a lot more to say in the review, which I'll post as soon as I do the wiring and my false floor glue dries so I can use the stick for flight testing! Very likely will be able to get this done tomorrow!

Trip

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@nrgized Nice! How does it feel?

I feel like the 3D printed texture is more visible on the Huey collective than my EC cyclic. Are the pictures exaggerating that?

Pretty sweet, I was wanting the Huey cyclic until I found out about Gazelle multi crew and went that direction instead.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]