MiG-21bis skins not showing up in-game!

Spades_Neil

I have my MiG skins installed under Mods\aircraft\MiG-21BIS\Liveries\MiG-21Bis

A similar file path works just dandy for the MiG-15bis, why not the MiG-21?

Here is what that folder looks like exactly: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d7rdhv2yzx3edzq/AAAeHs7P8xktIqpseSLaPQ-ba?dl=0

None of those skins are appearing in-game.

Edit: I junked the old NVA MiG skins and got a new set from https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=172937 that aren't scripted poorly. They work now, but they only work if placed into CoreMods\ instead of Mods\, which is still incorrect. It works, but it's not working in the right spot. I also removed the countries out of the PLAAF and North Korea skins' .lua files so the skin appears for all nations. I also removed all traces of id=0 which seemed useless. Dropbox now reflects these changes.

Edited by Spades_Neil

try to put them under /saved game/dcs/liveries/mig-21bis/

That's kind of an odd place to put them... Are you sure? That is completely inconsistent with every other skin I have successfully installed.

My Mig 21 skins work in the DCS/ CoreMods/ aircraft/ Mig21/ Liveries folder.

But that's CoreMods, as in, mods that come with DCS World. The MiG-21 its self is a CoreMod. I do not want to meddle with that folder or it makes mods harder to delete or troubleshoot later on. It might work, but it's not the correct way of doing things.

I suspect something is wrong with my .lua files.

Edit: Just to troubleshoot, I followed cthulhu68 and now there's a new problem. My NVA skins appear in the dropdown menu, but they don't actually change the skin. They appear to be very much broken. The other skins still do not appear even when under CoreMods.

Edit 2: Well I found one of the problems. Those NVA skins have bad lua. name variable is a string, and the author of the mod failed to use the correct syntax, which broke it completely. I corrected this by just putting the name variable in quotation marks. Example:

name = "NVA MiG-21 4128"

Edit 3: I junked the old NVA MiG skins and got a new set from https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=172937 that aren't scripted poorly. They work now, but they only work if placed into CoreMods, which is still incorrect. It works, but it's not working in the right spot. I also removed the countries out of the PLAAF and North Korea skins' .lua files so the skin appears for all nations. I also removed all traces of id=0 which seemed useless.

Edited by Spades_Neil

Typically I put them in bazaar/liveries folder but sometimes, like with Mig21, there is no folder there. That's when I put them in CoreMods. F5E and M2000 skins work there too.

Actually just realized all M2000 mod skins are ruined because of dynamic numbering being added.

Edited by cthulhu68

a) There are three locations where one can put custom skins depending on personal preferences (Saved Games, Bazar or Coremods one);

b) Keep in mind that the external model of the MiG went through a few revisions throughout its post-release development (it still does, as changelog for 1.5.6 indicates!), so there WILL be issues when trying to use most of the old skins the authors didn't update;

c) Remember that some skins show up only if flown for some specific countries, unless You edit description.lua and add "missing" countries Yourself.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.