When is the Tomcat expected to be released?

escaner

The Tomcat uses Automatic sweep for the wings - ie it adjusts to speed to maintain the best flight profile. The wings can also be manually swept by the pilot - they can even be asymmetrically swept - and tests were carried out with asymmetrical wing sweep. :joystick:

True, though building on your post it's worth mentioning that the asymmetric sweep tests required disconnecting the sweep interlock (that ensures symmetry) and the actuator to one wing. The disconnected wing is kept at 20 degrees while the other swing is swept back with it's actuator for testing. There have been rare instances of an actuator and the interlock failing in the fleet and leading to a small asymmetry (few degrees), but the dramatic pictures of one wing at 20 deg and the other at 68 deg was just for testing....including LNS:

10338417_1683605345195470_8052905242436747503_o.jpg?oh=8b415e6afce500c7d18c15c7de89f72d&oe=593E7A69

Otherwise, pilots kept the system in "automatic" ~90% of the time and only selected manual mode for a few specific reasons (generally to improve precision): aerial refueling, aerial gunnery practice, parade formations, and the SHB.

https://fightersweep.com/837/the-ultimate-carrier-break/

Most pilots manually swept their wings for the break, ostensibly since the delta effect allowed them to bleed speed better since most F-14s entered the break around 400 knots (sometimes higher as the above article mentions :D). Keeping the wings swept till around 280 knots allowed more rapid bleeding of airspeed, though they had to watch their AOA carefully since it could really build up at low speeds and lead to some yaw instability with the wings swept.

Probably the more accurate reason is that an F-14 in the break without swept wings doesn't look cool....but they found some justifications nonetheless. :music_whistling:

-Nick

Thanks for the update. :thumbup: 2017 will be a good year. :pilotfly:

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

True, though building on your post it's worth mentioning that the asymmetric sweep tests required disconnecting the sweep interlock (that ensures symmetry) and the actuator to one wing. The disconnected wing is kept at 20 degrees while the other swing is swept back with it's actuator for testing. There have been rare instances of an actuator and the interlock failing in the fleet and leading to a small asymmetry (few degrees), but the dramatic pictures of one wing at 20 deg and the other at 68 deg was just for testing....including LNS:

Otherwise, pilots kept the system in "automatic" ~90% of the time and only selected manual mode for a few specific reasons (generally to improve precision): aerial refueling, aerial gunnery practice, parade formations, and the SHB.

https://fightersweep.com/837/the-ultimate-carrier-break/

Most pilots manually swept their wings for the break, ostensibly since the delta effect allowed them to bleed speed better since most F-14s entered the break around 400 knots (sometimes higher as the above article mentions :D). Keeping the wings swept till around 280 knots allowed more rapid bleeding of airspeed, though they had to watch their AOA carefully since it could really build up at low speeds and lead to some yaw instability with the wings swept.

Probably the more accurate reason is that an F-14 in the break without swept wings doesn't look cool....but they found some justifications nonetheless. :music_whistling:

-Nick

Beat me to it..... :thumbup:

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

So gentlemen lets place out bets. Which one will be out first.? F14A/B or the F/A18C ( which has been in development for nearly an eternity)

Seriously LN, if you guys release this before ED's hornet my mind will seriously be blown. I was thinking it would be the latter, but with all this progress being shown, Its starting to look like the Tomcat will the first to pop out.

giphy.gif

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

So gentlemen lets place out bets. Which one will be out first.? F14A/B or the F/A18C ( which has been in development for nearly an eternity)

Seriously LN, if you guys release this before ED's hornet my mind will seriously be blown. I was thinking it would be the latter, but with all this progress being shown, Its starting to look like the Tomcat will the first to pop out.

giphy.gif

I know.... it's really weird, I hope the hornet comes first.

But man, Leatherneck is doing really well.

I bet their carrier will come before EDs

GeForce GTX 970, i5 4690K 3.5 GHz, 8 GB ram, Win 10, 1080p

2017. No exceptions. Unless some cataclysmic event occurs, or serious bodily harm/illness to integral F-14 team members.

Wow I was not expecting this :pilotfly:

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Not yet. In depth weapon systems are pending.

It just gets better and better.......God I love the Tomcat PGMs will make it such a multirole weapon in DCS World.

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

Ls not too mutch work on the cat.A have fun on the work :)

Edited by Mking

System

Hydro H115i with 8700k @ 4,9 ghz all cores, Asus strix Z370 f, 32gb ddr4 3600Mhz, Asusrog swift 34 gsync ,Vr hp Reverb .Palit gaming pro 2080 ti Thrustmaster Warthog f18grip and th pedal

Steamvr ss 100% and dcs world ss 180%

tomcat eats the viper for breakfast :P

Lange lebe die Tomcat": Long live the Cat!

it was a distinctly noncommittal response regarding pgms, why are you trying to spin it

I'm not trying to spin anything it means there's a chance.

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

There is a huge amount of work that has to be done so late 2017 or early 2018.

There are 2 categories of fighter pilots: those who have performed, and those who someday will perform, a magnificent defensive break turn toward a bug on the canopy. Robert Shaw

There is a huge amount of work that has to be done so late 2017 or early 2018.

You're guessing at it being "huge". Cobra has now said 2017 and they've been showing bits of it off during 2016 (images+gifs), so you could also say there's only a few features left to do along with polishing... We just don't know.

Keen eyed people however will have spotted not all of LN are listed in the manual for the Viggen as working on it, yet we know they're still part of LN. Parallel teams are a thing you know :)

To celebrate the news that Cobra gave us about the Tomcat being deployed to the fleet in 2017... Since you guys can't see me jumping for joy when I read that...

I made a Fan made teaser video to get you ready to kick the tires and light the fires, I must apologize for my camera-work I don't understand yet how to use cameras in DCS.

Hope all of you enjoy, and Cobra I can't wait to scare the hell out of some Soviet Bear bomber crews

I'm still way too excited about the upcoming release. The earlier the better, but just knowing it will be sometime in 2017 is fantastic. The news about the LNS F-14 is what started me on DCS years ago. I have been waiting impatiently for it with each passing month. Fortunately, that has let me sink my teeth into a number of aircraft and really learn how to go about playing with each new module.

If it's earlier in the year, great! If it's later this year, then I'll have moved into my new place and put together a nice setup with new Dora pedals from Slaw. So, either way, it's a HUGE win! The pit building will follow soon thereafter :D

This must stop now, first the Viggen and now you are telling me the f-14.... *Throws more money at LS* i'll blame this on you cobra.

P.S Had no idea the f-14 was even in development, what a great way to end the day!

http://www.leatherneck-sim.com/f14/

Man, Warhawk, I wish I had that surprise for the first time again! The link above will tell you some more info about the module.

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]