vJaBoG32 Tutorial A-A CAP Holding

vJaBoG32

It's interesting even if I don't understand German.

I think you should use your auto pilot to ease workload.

I understand the video is about cap pattern flying and radio coms', but you should spend the hot leg head down on the radar screen to look for contact. Then your tool will will be head down instruments (HSI, altimeter and anemometer) rather than the HUD. But you can still read speed and altitude on radar screen and display some useful waypoint on radar screen (holding point, bullseye...what you want).

So the auto pilot is very handy in this situation. You can even use it to do the turn for you or put it in stand by during the manual turn and engage it during hot/ cold leg.

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Good idea, jojo :thumbup:

You can see the waypoint "Folding fix" in the radarscreen, set by INS.

"You want me to fly in the back of a tiny little jet with a crazy fighter pilot who thinks he´s invincible,

home in on a SAM site in North Vietnam and shoot it before it shoots me?

You´ve gotta be shittin´me!"

Captain Jack Donovan

It's interesting even if I don't understand German.

I think you should use your auto pilot to ease workload.

I understand the video is about cap pattern flying and radio coms', but you should spend the hot leg head down on the radar screen to look for contact. Then your tool will will be head down instruments (HSI, altimeter and anemometer) rather than the HUD. But you can still read speed and altitude on radar screen and display some useful waypoint on radar screen (holding point, bullseye...what you want).

So the auto pilot is very handy in this situation. You can even use it to do the turn for you or put it in stand by during the manual turn and engage it during hot/ cold leg.

What you describe is how it should be, jojo. This video was actually made for internal use to demonstrate the built up of a holding, how to entry the holding and how to separate the flight into two sections and how to proceed. The hot CAP leg should indeed be used for scanning, what is not demontrated in this video as you pointed out. I made this video quick and dirty to have something at hand for training.

If the M-2000C autopilot could handle 60° Bank turns, we could fly the complete holding on AP, which would be best. Unfortunately it can only handle 45° bank. Anyhow, the AP can of course be used for the hot or cold leg and should be, if you have an OST of an hour or something.

Edited by SNAFU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Unsere Facebook-Seite

If the M-2000C autopilot could handle 60° Bank turns, we could fly the complete holding on AP, which would be best. Unfortunately it can only handle 45° bank. Anyhow, the AP can of course be used for the hot or cold leg and should be, if you have an OST of an hour or something.

That's because you're flying the CAP pattern a little bit slow.

350kt is the best endurance speed, but a bit slow to face a threat.

From 450kt the AP should be able able to hold 60° bank angle.

But this is why I suggested to use AP stand by during the turn (hold the button then release during the hot/ cold leg).

Anyway for a "quick and dirty" video it's actually rather pretty :thumbup:

1539505572_AutoPilot.jpg.215c1fd6fff7cb5ab5ef441fcc64d8f8.jpg

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Thanks, didn´t know the AP max angle depends on IAS.

In our missions we usually go for max endurance, but for high threat level /ALRs in combination with AP usage at 60° we will also test 450KIAS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Unsere Facebook-Seite

That's because you're flying the CAP pattern a little bit slow.

350kt is the best endurance speed, but a bit slow to face a threat.

You don't need a high speed while flying a CAP ... for 30 minutes or more. If you detect a threat or got a threat warning by AWACS/ GCI, you can still accelerate to a higher engagement speed.

If you fly the CAP in a 4 ship, the lower speed doesn't matter, too. Because you have always 2 pilots on the hot leg. Endurance counts here.

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]