BK90's on high ground targets

exnihilodub

Hi. I was wondering what should I do to be able to hit ground targets on elevated positions (hills etc.) especially if you're over the release altitude limit of bk90's - e.g you're engaging a group of tanks on top of a hill which is 2000m above AGL-.

Is there a way to input the altitude of waypoints? Or should I somehow fool the system by changing my barometric altimeter(if so, is there a conversation table of converting altitude to QFE)?

thank you for your answers and I wish you a great evening

The BK-90 uses barometric altitude if radar altimeter is turned off.

Set the QFE for the target position and you're all set. The target waypoint QFE can be found in the kneeboard.

You just have to make sure theres no higher peaks between you and the target on your ingress.

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

The BK-90 uses barometric altitude if radar altimeter is turned off.

Set the QFE for the target position and you're all set. The target waypoint QFE can be found in the kneeboard.

You just have to make sure theres no higher peaks between you and the target on your ingress.

I think you missed my question. What if the target is on top of a hill which is let's say 2000m. above sea level? As far as I know, BK90 can't be launched above 500m. above ground level. (which means 500m. above sea level since launch inhibition checks barometric altimeter)

So to put it easily, let's have a hypothetical scenario like this. We have a flat hill, which is 2000m above sea level. Both me and the target is on that hill. I'm flying 50 m. above target, which the altimeter shows as "2050m above sea level" and inhibits bk90 launch. I hope this makes it clear :(

I think you missed my question. What if the target is on top of a hill which is let's say 2000m. above sea level? As far as I know, BK90 can't be launched above 500m. above ground level. (which means 500m. above sea level since launch inhibition checks barometric altimeter)

So to put it easily, let's have a hypothetical scenario like this. We have a flat hill, which is 2000m above sea level. Both me and the target is on that hill. I'm flying 50 m. above target, which the altimeter shows as "2050m above sea level" and inhibits bk90 launch. I hope this makes it clear :(

It can be launched between 50-500m AGL not ASL.

yeah it states that in the manual but correct me if i'm wrong: It uses barometric altitude to check for the launch permission right? and as far as I know, barometric altitudes report ASL, not AGL.

Barometric altitude shows the altitude above whatever pressure you put in the altimeter, for example QFE shows AGL at a certain spot, QNH (sea level pressure) shows ASL.

• Like 1

Regarding this subject, I assess that the question is "Given the facts that the max range for a 0.9mach BK90 launch doesn' t exceed the distance of 5km and that the max launch altittude is 450m AGL, how you can launch a BK90 against a target that is higher than the max launch altittude? eg. There is a Radar on the top of a hill in the middle of a valley (800m ASL). The average altittude in a 5km range from the target is 30-60m ASL. In this context even if you launch from the highest 450m AGL the missile will have to climb arround 300m to reach the target.

So, any advice or tip.

My Hardware: ROG Strix X570-F Gaming - AMD 5600X @ 4.7 ghz - G.SKILL TRIDENT 32GB DDR4 3200 (14-14-14-34 CL) - GigaByte 3080ti OC 12gb - Corsair MP600 Force 1TB - 2 x EVO Nvme 500GB - Virpil Warbird Base T-50CM2 and TM Throttle + Trackhat + G25 + AOC AG271QG 27"

My Modules: JF-17, F-16C, AV-8N/A, F-18C, ASJ37, MiG-15Bis, MiG-21Bis, Fw-190D, Bf-109K, P-51D, F-86F, Ka-50 III, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, NS430, FC3, A-10C, Mirage 2000C, L-39, F-5E-3, SA342, Spitfire, AH-64, Mirage F-1CE.

My Maps: Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria, South Atlantic.

Regarding this subject, I assess that the question is "Given the facts that the max range for a 0.9mach BK90 launch doesn' t exceed the distance of 5km and that the max launch altittude is 450m AGL, how you can launch a BK90 against a target that is higher than the max launch altittude? eg. There is a Radar on the top of a hill in the middle of a valley (800m ASL). The average altittude in a 5km range from the target is 30-60m ASL. In this context even if you launch from the highest 450m AGL the missile will have to climb arround 300m to reach the target.

So, any advice or tip.

I dont really understand the question but the BK90 uses its own radar altimeter to measure altitude. It doesnt care what so ever how high above the ocean it is, only how high above the ground. If there is a hill infront of the bk90 it will simply pitch up and climb the hill.

The fact that the missile uses a carrying radio altimeter, specifically when the missile is flying 50m above the ground, IMO can not guarrantie that the missile could pitch up, climb, enough either to overfly or just climb to a hill to hit a target. This missile, I am confident, that it doesn't use, like the latest missiles, any ground digital data with gps to perform a terrain masking. What is more, even if the bank of a hill is not high enough and it can be performancewised done, then we don't know if the missile could finally have enough energy to reach the target.

I will make an experimental launch and i will iform you about the results.

My Hardware: ROG Strix X570-F Gaming - AMD 5600X @ 4.7 ghz - G.SKILL TRIDENT 32GB DDR4 3200 (14-14-14-34 CL) - GigaByte 3080ti OC 12gb - Corsair MP600 Force 1TB - 2 x EVO Nvme 500GB - Virpil Warbird Base T-50CM2 and TM Throttle + Trackhat + G25 + AOC AG271QG 27"

My Modules: JF-17, F-16C, AV-8N/A, F-18C, ASJ37, MiG-15Bis, MiG-21Bis, Fw-190D, Bf-109K, P-51D, F-86F, Ka-50 III, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, NS430, FC3, A-10C, Mirage 2000C, L-39, F-5E-3, SA342, Spitfire, AH-64, Mirage F-1CE.

The fact that the missile uses a carrying radio altimeter, specifically when the missile is flying 50m above the ground, IMO can not guarrantie that the missile could pitch up, climb, enough either to overfly or just climb to a hill to hit a target. This missile, I am confident, that it doesn't use, like the latest missiles, any ground digital data with gps to perform a terrain masking. What is more, even if the bank of a hill is not high enough and it can be performancewised done, then we don't know if the missile could finally have enough energy to reach the target.

I will make an experimental launch and i will iform you about the results.

Already tried, if the hill is steep it kinda hits the ground but keeps going, and when terrain evens out it climbs back to 50 m ^^

In this context, if we have to deal with such an issue (steep hills) that the required climb rate outperforms BK90, then the only solution is to find a way to bypass the 450m AGL max launching altittude. I will try to launch from the same ASL altittude, as target is, by adjusting QFE to show 450m :-)

In this context, if we have to deal with such an issue (steep hills) that the required climb rate outperforms BK90, then the only solution is to find a way to bypass the 450m AGL max launching altittude. I will try to launch from the same ASL altittude, as target is, by adjusting QFE to show 450m :-)

I presume that's why the BK 90 checklist says to set target QFE, so that you can launch even against targets up or down a slope. You can also launch from along a ridgeline, or along the equal-altitude contour. There aren't a lot of tall, isolated elevations in Georgia, or, for that matter, Sweden.

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission