VR rear mirror is «state of the art»

J-1775

I don't know if anyone ever mentioned it, but I feel like making the devs a BIG compliment for their implementation of the rear mirror in the P-51 and the Spitfire. clap_2.gif

It really is an ingenious piece of (software) engineering. Every time I stretch myself and stick my head up until I see part of it reflected in the mirror I'm amazed to see MY head: I can turn it left and right, up and down or move it sidewards until I hit the perspex, the mirror «knows» exactly what I'm doing.

Sure, I know it's the Rift's/Vive's trackers that know the position and attitude of my head. But it needs a dev's obsession with details to translate that into the mirror's view! :notworthy:

Unfortunately the mirror is a framerate killer and therefore probably most pilots have turned it off. But if you're looking for some eye candy and love such details, it's certainly worth to turn it on for certain occasions.

The mirror makes me quite confident, too, that ED's devs will bring us VR pilots a hand/fingers interface based on Leap Motion or alike. Especially WWII aircraft were not meant for flying with HOTAS gear...

The mirror makes me quite confident, too, that ED's devs will bring us VR pilots a hand/fingers interface based on Leap Motion or alike.

While I am sure your compliments are appreciated, makng the mirror work has nothing to do with accurately tracking the tip of your finger in 3d space.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

While I am sure your compliments are appreciated, makng the mirror work has nothing to do with accurately tracking the tip of your finger in 3d space.

I think he means to say that the effort the devs have put into the mirror, the same effort will go into developing other neat capabilities like hand tracking etc.:)

I think he means to say that the effort the devs have put into the mirror, the same effort will go into developing other neat capabilities like hand tracking etc.:)
Got it! It's the attention to detail that often makes the difference between "good" and "excellent" work. Even when the Z-axis is, indeed, the wrong way round.:smilewink:

So why not give an early close look at hand tracking ─ that would be really neat. And, btw, even of much more practical value than a moving head in the mirror (which is just VERY COOL!).

Except that its backward ;) Move closer, your head gets smaller, move farther away and your head gets bigger.
You're right, the Z-axis should indeed be reversed! We need to open a ticket!!!:smilewink:

BTW, reminds me of one of my favorite child books (by Michael Ende) that featured a "fake giant". He looked very big from far away and got smaller and smaller the more you approached him. His appropriate job was ─ serving as a lighthouse.

The mirrors are awesome!

On 1.2 version they were great to observe the horizon when rocketing up and look if you got the ground targets blowing up.

Now with improved resolution we can see it far better.

And now latest head tracking feature puts mirror to very great use as in dogfight you can look rear via mirrors and see enemy missiles etc so avoiding them is more immersive.

Just hope that mirrors would get a improved resolution than 1024.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

There's more benefit from head tracking information.

Imagine, in MP mode you could see where your wingman (or enemy) is looking at. «Hey Red Two, watch out for bogeys and don't stare at that picture of your girlfriend!» ;)

I'm really wishing I could see other VR users true head movements in multiplayer, and others to see mine. That would feel like there is a real human right at that aircraft.

I'm really wishing I could see other VR users true head movements in multiplayer, and others to see mine. That would feel like there is a real human right at that aircraft.
I'm sure we will get that sooner or later. After all, the position and attitude of the pilot's head does in principal not differ from the position of ailerons, rudder, flaps or gear and the bandwith necessary will be marginal.

Mirrors in VR have a big problem however, at least in my experience...when they are shadowed, the image reflected on them gets dimed, just like if the image coming from them is not a reflection but a direct image from a "dispaly" so to speak...IRL, no matter if a mirror gets in shadow if its reflecting an image full of light, the only thing that would happen then is that only mirror mass would be shadowed but NOT the image its reflecting. The problem with this is that when the mirros are in shadow, you cant see the image reflected in them, even when for example they are reflecting a well iluminated scene. I will consider this as a bug in fact.

You can. This already works...

Well, only rotating head in the horizontal plane is actually working in MP or SP...no vertical rotation is captured nor translations which would be a GREAT ADDITION as average_pilot said.

Edited by watermanpc

Take a look at my MODS here