VR Users with stutters - Make sure V-Sync is OFF!!!

SW0RDF15H

Another FYI

Have been suffering from terrible micro-stutters since last update - turns out 'V-Sync' was set to 'ON' - something that I'm pretty sure had no effect on VR HMDs before, but certainly does now!

Note: Oculus debug tool reports 45hz cap when v-sync is enabled, but it doesn't look like 45 - more like 90 with consistent micro-stutters (which is why it took me so long to figure out!)

Was about to give in until I realised the V-Sync thing. Now it's a perfect 90 again (Alpha 2.0, obviously...)

Hope this helps some of you - certainly those of you who run a solid 90fps normally.

:thumbup:

Check out my F15C BFM & ACM Training Missions:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2167735/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...

I believe it toggles ASW (Asynchronous Warp) which to my understanding injects interpolated frames at low FPS to artificially 'increase' low FPS.

Achieving World Peace - One 2000lb JDAM at a time.

Intel i7 9700K, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz , ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 TI OC, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S.

~

Proud Member of the 62nd Fighting Falcons

~

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...

That's very useful. I only got my Rift as of yesterday, and still learn the ins and outs. Along these lines, what the DCS pixel density you're running with?

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I don't have the shimmering buildings effect with ASW off. Every thing looks normal. Dials on WWII planes are clear but the best is the FW190.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I7-7700k Water Cooled , 32gb Ram, GTX1080Ti, Oculus Rift CV1, 1 TB SSD, 4TB HDD, TM Warthog w 10cm extension, Saitek rudders, All VR settings on HIGH, 2.5 Pixels

Edited by fiddlinjim
More Info

That's very useful. I only got my Rift as of yesterday, and still learn the ins and outs. Along these lines, what the DCS pixel density you're running with?

I ran 1.5PD when I was flying in DCS2.0 to keep the frames up. But since the issues with the HUD and lighting etc. I am solely flying in 1.5.7 at the moment and am running 1.8PD. Needed to boost it a little to help see the tiny text in the M2K cockpit!

I found that 1.5PD was the lowest to go without looking too bad. 2.0+PD looks great but is pretty hard on framerate. Need to remember 1.5PD is the equiv of 4K res.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 8 months later...

I know I don't have the fastest GPU (RX 480 8GB) but I was stuck at 45fps since 1.5.8 regardless of changing settings/turning off ASW/V-Sync off. Last night/this morning I got the 2.5 release version. After a little messing with settings, discovered V-Sync was limiting me to 60fps with ASW off (CTRL+1 works for me now) and in a short run just now am at 80-90fps for the first time.

EDIT: Didn't realise that was a necro bump till after I had posted, sorry.

Edited by Failed Creation

Yep, should be mandatory to disable ASW in DCS, it's sooooo much smoother without it, somebody sticky this!

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Need to remember 1.5PD is the equiv of 4K res.

It far more than equal. With 4K all maxed out one can get 180-240 FPS (like with average 140) but drop to <30 FPS in VR with the VR profile settings (and yes, V-sync off etc).

The VR is not just about resolution but about really loading all twice. Two cameras, two different viewpoints, all rendering to be done twice for different perspective.

One can increase resolution but one camera is just one camera, while two different perspective changes things.

The VR should be considered 4-6 times more requiring as what a 4K is.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 3 weeks later...
Yep, should be mandatory to disable ASW in DCS, it's sooooo much smoother without it, somebody sticky this!

So I dont understand if I dont use reprojection on the vive and fall bellow 90fps the experience is horrible. You're saying that the rift no longer needs to reach 90fps for a good experience? Are they using some sort of new technology or something? How come rift users dont need ASW any more?

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

It's not smoother, it's different. ASW (Ctrl-4) and the older ATW (Ctrl-1) are different algorithms that try to make the experience better when your PC can't generate 90 fps.

ASW makes better job at smoothing stuff that moves sideways. For example if you look at the ground moving below you, or if you move your head sideways while looking at the cockpit instruments, without ASW it will blur or stutter, with ASW it will remain sharp.

However, ASW introduces visual artifacts if contrasting objects move quickly in the view. For example helicopter's rotor shadow, spitfire propeller, etc.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro