GTX1080 SLI vs Single Titan

Read several debates on 1080 vs Titan...

Most come down to this... if game supports SLI the 2 x 1080 is preferred. If game does not support SLI, better off with Titan...

So.... DOES ANYONE KNOW FOR SURE IF DCS SUPPORTS SLI ????

Anyone using either setup with DCS 5 or NTTR ??? What is your feeling on Performance.

building a Intel Boxed Core i7-6850K Processor on MSI Computer X99A GAMING PRO CARBON (Motherboard)

Question is which way to go with display processor

I would buy 1 card.

Not too far from now NV will release 2080 series along with Ti and new Titan.

You might wanna wait

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Don't waste your money. SLI is not supported.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Thanks to all for the feedback...!!!!

Looks like best vote is a single card... most likely a Titan. I'm running 4 displays on a MSI G-force GTX 960 w/4Gb (this is a pci-3 card in a pci-2 buss) and I'm still getting reasonable (not great) response from 1.5. I've noticed Nevada NTTR is a lot more demanding. New system plans are for 3x27 inch 4k's and a 24 inch below for MCFD exports. Gotta believe I'll need all the GPU I can find.

I'm hoping to have a new system ready when they release the new merged version. Any guesses on that one?

The only problem I can see going with a Titan over a 1080 is that I'm not sure DCS will use it.

Now, a guy probably uses his system for more than DCS, I know I do, but for this sim specifically, I think the bigger issues are software (no specific VR coding) and CPU based (no multicore). I'm willing to bet that even with a new version of Rift (higher resolution), it wouldn't be an issue given most of us are running a DP of 1.6 or higher and a new Rift wouldn't require that.

I dunno, I've thought about buying a Titan myself, but I just can't see where the GPU is the bottleneck.

Either way, I hope you enjoy it, it'll be a killer card.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Gladman

Thanks for the thoughts...!!!

I was considering SLI and that is why I also looked at the TITAN since 2 1080's are about the same as a single TITAN.

From what I've noticed on my current humble system is that updating to SSD's for OS and the games was the biggest help... esp for NTTR. I had 1.5 on a SSD and NTTR still on the old hard drive and performance really sucked on the NTTR where 1.5 was butter smooth...? When I went to the PCI SSD for NTTR (my bus is only PCI-2 and the SSD wants a PCI-3 but I figure I can always use it later) the performance of NTTR got better but still not as smooth as 1.5.

So from what I can see:

Must have SSD (fastest you can find, 250 for OS and 512 for games) rest who cares???

CPU is important but don't need to spend really big bucks here, buss speeds on MB are more critical and graphics pipeline.

Sys Memory anything above 16 Gig is more than enough

Graphics GPU for single or dual screens HD most anything above my humble MSI G-force GTX 960 will do. (again My 860 is a PCI-3 card running on a MSI x-58 Platinum motherboard and 14Gb Corsair 1333 DDR3, uses PCI-2 bus) and 1.5 runs quite well.

BUT.... right now I'm running 3 24" displays for main view and 20" for gages.

New plans include 3 - 27" 4k displays and one of the 24's I have now for gages.

SOooooooooo... How will the new combined version (1.5 + NTTR) run on these displays under full 4K, and when (does anyone know) will the promised merged version be out??

I can wait a month or so for the new cards to be released, but if any longer than that then I'll just go with what's on the market at the time.

^ Aaaaaaand that's how it'll end most likely for You. From various posts by the devs, It seems that now on ED's priority list, "all hands on deck" are for Normandy map, with 2.5 merge coming close second. But since we haven't even got to standard one month pre-purchase phase yet for the former, I wouldn't expect the latter before early summer.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.