Printing Manual

Chiefsosa

Recently got dcs A-10c warthog dlc but want to get the manual printed for easier reading. Haven't found any recent ones for sale and when trying to upload PDF to printing sites I get errors with fonts and size. If any knows a better way please let me know.:helpsmilie:

Lulu.com have a very nice printed manual in paperback or hardcover.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Yes I looked at lulu.com but when I upload the PDF it says "fonts not embedded" and size is not right.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Yes I looked at lulu.com but when I upload the PDF it says "fonts not embedded" and size is not right.

Lulu used to sell it but it seems they don't anymore.

It looked like this.

2016-12-31%2009.55.05_zpsvnvykauf.jpg

Yes, you need a modified version of the file shipped with the sim to have it printed by Lulu.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I use an old iPad 1 to hold all the manuals & docs of my DCS modules, and read them (and highlight significant parts) using the App "GoodReader"

... it works perfectly fine and has no fonts problems, can have several manuals open at the same time, and the App allows the trimming of the page margins in order to increase the effective size of the printed area.

The current version of Goodreader is not compatible with the iPad1, to solve that I'm using an older version of the App (Goodreader v3.2)

I keep the iPad close to the Computer, and open the manual whenever I need them. It also allows access to YouTube, to play tutorials alongside the PC :)

Edit:

Here are some images, so you can see how well such an old and cheap tablet works ... this is the main screen of the App, where you can have your books & documents organized in Folders, in this case I'm looking at the folder Ka-50 which is inside the folder DCS:

f01s.jpg

On the right hand side are the different servers from where I can download the books via wifi ... no need to use iTunes :D

Here I've opened one of the books, and I'm in the process of trimming the margins, to maximize the visible content:

f02s.jpeg

Now, when I read the book, it looks like this:

f03s.jpeg

This also works for book in landscape orientation, like Chuck's Guides:

f04s.jpeg

On the next picture, you can see the user interface of the App, which uses the screen perimeter ... there are commands for annotating, highlighting (like the sample in yellow), etc ... and on the top bar you can see that I have actually two books open at once (the Flight Manual and the Guide).

f05s.jpeg

Finally, even tough its a very old iPad, there is a YouTube App that allows you to watch tutorials while you are using the simulator :)

f06s.jpeg

Anyway, I know there are some people who prefer the tactile feel of a book ... but the Tablet approach is very flexible and allows you to have not just one book and if there appears an updated version of the book, you can download it over the old one ... it never gets obsolete like so often happens with technical books.

Edited by Rudel_chw
Added more info

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

It looked like this.

2016-12-31%2009.55.05_zpsvnvykauf.jpg

Yes, you need a modified version of the file shipped with the sim to have it printed by Lulu.

Nice book, I looked around locally and found a company willing to print b & w $70 and $125 color spiral bound.

That's weird. I got the A-10C and the Ka-50 manuals from them only a couple of weeks ago.

Although, I guess we shouldn't be surprised. They were charging around £15 for a very weighty 650 page manual. Probably cost them more than that to post it!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I use an old iPad 1 to hold all the manuals & docs of my DCS modules, and read them (and highlight significant parts) using the App "GoodReader"

Anyway, I know there are some people who prefer the tactile feel of a book ... but the Tablet approach is very flexible and allows you to have not just one book and if there appears an updated version of the book, you can download it over the old one ... it never gets obsolete like so often happens with technical books.

Don't k now why you need Goodreader, the default pdf reader works perfectly well on the iPad with these manuals.

I use iPad a lot for this kind of thing, but sometimes a paper book is definitely better. For example, in the 650+ page A-10C manual, try finding a specific page or reference on the iPad. It is so much easier going to the contents, and flicking straight to the page you are looking for in a large book.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

It looked like this.

I have the same from Lulu. I just checked my lulu account, it lists I bought the book, but when I click on the link to book, it says it can't find it. I seem to recall that the original member here who had posted the PDF to Lulu had some issues uploaded, then they (at Lulu) helped him work it out. Perhaps the member deleted his account? Or it expires after awhile? I bought it back in November 2012...for $33 USD. Here is the original thread that most of us bought from.....links no longer work, but perhaps contact the original poster? https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1587752

Edited by Marmusman

I have the same from Lulu. I just checked my lulu account, it lists I bought the book, but when I click on the link to book, it says it can't find it. I seem to recall that the original member here who had posted the PDF to Lulu had some issues uploaded, then they (at Lulu) helped him work it out. Perhaps the member deleted his account? Or it expires after awhile? I bought it back in November 2012...for $33 USD.

My suspicion is that the manuals have been removed by ED. As I posted above, I got mine only a couple of weeks ago from Lulu.

I also asked them if they could print it spiral bound, but they said that the publishers wouldn't allow it.

Don't k now why you need Goodreader, the default pdf reader works perfectly well on the iPad with these manuals.

I prefer Goodreader because it allows to crop the page margins, which allows a slightly larger text size on the screen; and also because it can reach the manuals that I have stored on the Cloud (I use OneDrive, but the App also works with DropBox and Google Chrome) without needing to use iTunes.

I use iPad a lot for this kind of thing, but sometimes a paper book is definitely better. For example, in the 650+ page A-10C manual, try finding a specific page or reference on the iPad.

The App has a search function, you just type the search term and it shows the next page that contains it.

It is so much easier going to the contents, and flicking straight to the page you are looking for in a large book.

If the PDF has an Outline, the App can show you the Index (though not all of DCS manuals have this feature, for example the A-10A has an outline, but the Ka-50 does not).

:)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

That's weird. I got the A-10C and the Ka-50 manuals from them only a couple of weeks ago.

Although, I guess we shouldn't be surprised. They were charging around £15 for a very weighty 650 page manual. Probably cost them more than that to post it!

Yeah I got mine last year at the same price, wish I'd grabbed the Blackshark one at the same time.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

My suspicion is that the manuals have been removed by ED. As I posted above, I got mine only a couple of weeks ago from Lulu.

I also asked them if they could print it spiral bound, but they said that the publishers wouldn't allow it.

Perhaps Eagle Dynamics is making the move to provide their own printed manuals? I seem to recall ED encouraging us to print our own through sites like Lulu. (or the original post-er to Lulu had to get ED permissions in writing, I forget)

The App has a search function, you just type the search term and it shows the next page that contains it.

If the PDF has an Outline, the App can show you the Index (though not all of DCS manuals have this feature, for example the A-10A has an outline, but the Ka-50 does not).

:)

I know it's all possible on the iPad, but, personally, I feel it is a lot more time consuming and awkward in this particular case. But, each to his own!

My suspicion is that the manuals have been removed by ED.

The only way that would make sense, not saying it has to make sense, would be if ED were going to publish printed manuals themselves. Especially since ED granted chaotikchiken permission to publish them with Lulu.com.

Yes, I was fortunate enough to be granted all necessary permissions to be allowed to publish them on the above links.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

But, each to his own!

Agree ... just wanted to show an alternative that can be less costly than having a printed manual, but I do understand that to some people the paper book may be better :)

• 1 year later...
I gave it as a birthday gift to a friend on June 2015. $33.98 with shipping from Lulu. Good quality, very nice for a sim or library. Now its no longer available for myself :(

You can try to create it for yourself, there or at other similar print services.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

Ironically, I have 2 x A-10C printed Lulu manuals that I am going to put on eBay. (Not sure if I'm allowed to accept offers by PM here or not.)

One is still in its original packaging, unopened, and the other has just been thumbed through. Effectively in mint condition.

I also have the same for the Ka-50 Black Shark. 2 copies, one unopened, and the other just flicked through.

I am in the UK though.

Ironically, I have 2 x A-10C printed Lulu manuals that I am going to put on eBay. (Not sure if I'm allowed to accept offers by PM here or not.)

One is still in its original packaging, unopened, and the other has just been thumbed through. Effectively in mint condition.

I also have the same for the Ka-50 Black Shark. 2 copies, one unopened, and the other just flicked through.

I am in the UK though.

How much for the A-10C?

Buzz

You can try to create it for yourself, there or at other similar print services.

If I had the skills and cash, perhaps I would. However, adjusting fonts and formatting a pdf to print correctly does not seem easy, and theres a risk it will come out bad. Plus its very expensive, at $40 or more if Im not mistaken.

Formatting is not critical. The existing PDF will work well enough. The most cost effective solution is to purchase a laser printer and print it yourself. Binding is relatively cheap for a spiral bind.

Keep in mind that the printer will last you for many years and, unlike an inkjet, will always work without significant maintenance.