Mig 21 ground attack (cluster bombs seem impossible use)

Wolf8312

Guys dont know what I am doing wrong. I am playing the instant action 'ground attack' mission with mig 21 and cluster bombs but no matter what I do I cant seem to hit anything! Has become frustrating as I have to fly to the target and die again and again like its fricking groundhog day or something!

I have tried coming down from a steep angle, and tried level flight but nothing seems to work, havent so much as scratched a tanks paint, but the bombs do indeed release they just miss( though I cant ever really see them)! I have of course made sure to arm the bombs before dropping them.

Are there any pointers you can give me or ways to change load out? It says check mission planner but maybe because I'm playing in VR there is no mission planner unless they mean that they want me to go to the mission editor?

Any pointers?

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

• ED Team

moved it to mig-21 forum, if it is the hawk, pm me i will move it back

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Watch Trackrod's clips on the subject (memorizing speed, altitude and aiming point parameters)...

... or watch Your wingman in F2 cam view doing the level attack in that particular mission, memorizing parameters again.

Edit - OK, the vid above is a bit useless, because it doesn't include cockpit camera shot, which would show the gunsight pipper depression angle. However, the same guy posted a couple of other, longer MiG-21 vids, with various cluster bombs deployment, so You'll find what You need.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Yeah mig 21 sorry about that.

I've tried various release altitudes but the lowest was about 1000 meters, the highest to be honest perhaps 3-5, not really sure about that or how steep exactly the angle (20-5 degrees?). It kinda varies and I tend to be so fixated on lining up the pipper!

What is the optimum altitude, angle and speed I should be aiming for? Another guy on another forum told me to land at the airport and change my loadout lol! Must say its getting tempting!

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Am I right in thinking that this kind of bombing run dosent really rely on the pipper or gunsight? Because I use it but nothing seems to happen!

------------

Am I right in thinking that this kind of bombing run dosent really rely on the pipper or gunsight? Because I use it but nothing seems to happen!

Yes it does use the sight.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Here is a collection of videos that might give you some inspiration, but there have been many updates since these were made, but the basics should be the same.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=144681

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Some more stuff that might help.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=143738

are you using bl755 ? i saw ur topic in steam forum

Think so! Wasnt able to check the mission planner as I couldnt find it unless they mean in the mission editor. Anyhoo I managed to hit a tank or too so thats it for tonight. The thing I worry about now is whether being forced to update to 1.5.6 hasnt locked me into a more unstable version of the game for VR. Doesent seem to be a way to roll back the changes!

------------

The video clearly shows about 320 m altitude and 1200 km/h speed.

I've tried many times, but it seems to be quite random. Once I could hit two armoured vehicles by dropping the cluster bombs from 400 m, at about 1200 km/h, they have dispersed at 50 m AGL, but way ahead of what the piper showed, so as for most bombing deliveries, it's actually a bit longer than what the piper indicates.

Still, nothing comparable to CBU-87/97, don't expect such a wide dispersion. And I find it quite hard to be exactly aligned and keep the MiG stable enough for the required precision, so some amount of practice is necessary.

The settings were the same as what is required for dumb bombs:

- ASP master mode: GND

- ASP piper mode: MSL/FIXED

- ASP bomb/firing: B

- ASP auto/manual: here auto, so without any pre-computed angle correction

- MSL RKT LNCH and relevant pylon breakers: ON

- weapon select on B position of relevant pylons

- tactical release: ON

- ASP gun/rockets and target size: don't care in this mode

(- radar beam ON, though I haven't checked the launch/break off lights, not sure it helps here)

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

You might find a shallow dive is easier to get hits. This vid shows dive and S/L approaches, both using the sight with pop up attacks.

The ability to fly consistently is required and some practice.