Mig 21 ground attack (cluster bombs seem impossible use)

Wolf8312

Why the are not safe? High speed bomb release may be difficult to aim, inaccurate and cause a lot of drag in an air frame but there is not a limit in the release sequence. An aircraft before the LGB may never went in a supersonic release which is possible now.

"These are not the bugs you are looking for..":pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My YouTube channel

SPECS

-AMD FX8370 8 Core Processor 4.2 ghz

-GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P

-GTX 1050 TI Windforce 4g

-16 GB RAM

-Saitek X 52

-FaceNOIRtrack - 3 point clip Red Led

The Russian manual I used, nearly 2 years ago, for research, stated, high drag bombs may be used supersonic but will be less accurate than low drag. Retarded may be used up to 1500 kph and down to 85 meters.

I used the pop-up attack profile from a USAF manual, which allowed 3 secs. to line up the target, to avoid AAA.

I you wish, just go slower. I prefer the high speed approach to spread the bomblets further and avoid the AAA.

You don't have to use CCIP, just use manual targeting if you wish.

To the OP.

You don't have to use the Pop-up, of course, but always use a shallow or level approach, to spread the bombs..

GL..

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Here is a table, for example bombing from low level, from the 21bis manual of weapons deployment...

You can see that there is no speed above 1000km/h... as you can see from the 2nd column from the right, there is a time delay pilot needs to time before releasing the bombs when passing the target with reticle deflection.

If dcs tactic had worked in RL, the manual would surely state it, as it's easier to fly faster and drop on reticle then to count/time delay in head...

lolvltable.gif.8aaa12590f7a272557552f9445c625d9.gif

I'm not disputing your information Vaticus, but I'm using the tools that DCS give me to perform in this game and to show the OP that cluster bombs are not impossible to use.

I also use time delay in certain circumstances.

If you're really keen to do everything IRL, simply do it at 1000kph with manual targeting, but I wouldn't advise somebody new to the game to do it that way.

Just for fun, to see how many bomblets it takes to kill a modern tank. (11). ______ :)

Edited by Holbeach

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Holbeach, I understand... and I do not mind the way how is someone enjoying DCS... I was just pointing out some of the icy things present in the module...

One thing I forgot to mention.

The clusters themselves work in an unrealistic way, especially the British and American ones, so a bit of licence is required to get them to work well.

This was the last time I used the Mig, level at 1200kph, but I tried it today, at 1000kph and its works just the same. 1000kph or less, works better in a shallow dive.

Clusters and retards were always my favourite bombs.

Guys something really weird is happening. I will perform the bombing run and lately I've just been bombing fields to test and try it out, then I will watch my own track for reference and understand better where I am going wrong. The results seem to suggest that the game itself is going wrong!

The track I watch shows the bombing occuring in a place I was nowhere near, and this isnt just because I am getting confused, I brought the plane very close down to the ground just to test it, but the video shows me bombing something far further to the right where I was nowhere near!

Has anyone else ever encountered such a thing. I'm flying in VR so am not sure if that could have something to do with it, but this might go some way to explaining why I cant even seem to drop the bombs anywhere close to my targets some sort of crazy bug?

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

No as much as I'd like to blame it on a bug I think the bombing itself is OK but something wrong with the tracks!

Edit- yeah Razo just realized! totally bugged so much for that plan!

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

No as much as I'd like to blame it on a bug I think the bombing itself is OK but something wrong with the tracks!

Tracks are bugged and inaccurate, so you're better of with a video or TacView...

The Tracks are already inaccurate for a long time, so don't trust everything you'll see on the tracks

• 2 years later...

I can't get player (mine) RBK-250 PTAB 2.5M canisters to open. I tried high angle 30º bombing first, and realized the canisters wouldn't open and just strike the ground. So I found this thread and tried the high speed low altitude level attack. No luck, canisters didn't open.

So I tasked my AI wingman to attack targets. He performed a medium altitude level attack and his canisters opened.

...anybody have any advice? Can you try it?

Instant Action: Ground Attack - Caucasus

Tried the same weapon with the Su-25T with normal function.. seems limited to the MiG-21Bis

Edited by randomTOTEN

I can't get player (mine) RBK-250 PTAB 2.5M canisters to open. I tried high angle 30º bombing first, and realized the canisters wouldn't open and just strike the ground. So I found this thread and tried the high speed low altitude level attack. No luck, canisters didn't open.

So I tasked my AI wingman to attack targets. He performed a medium altitude level attack and his canisters opened.

...anybody have any advice? Can you try it?

Instant Action: Ground Attack - Caucasus

Tried the same weapon with the Su-25T with normal function.. seems limited to the MiG-21Bis

Hi .you must armed fuses in your bombs.The switch is on panel between legs next to tablo.Plus red light.When red light is ON the fuses are ARMED.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]