New User...well sort of

Brent

Hello

I have been away from DCS for about 5 years and would like to dive back in. I first started with the original DCS: Black Shark and then the A-10. I'd like to update the A-10 (current version I have is 1.2.0...).

If someone would be so kind to point me in the right direction to get re-started and any recommendations they might have regarding current products such as DCS world or training that I could use I would be grateful.

I love reading manuals so I'm not looking for any shortcuts, just some help with getting on the right foot.:joystick:

Cheers

Brent

i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming, Asus GeForce GTX 970, 32Gb, TM Warthog HOTAS, W10 64bit

The base platform is now called DCS World. You install that for free, and then you add the product keys for any modules you bought, like the A-10C. If you bought DCS on Steam then it's easy, just go to your library and install DCS World (or get it from the store for free). If you bought it from Eagle Dynamics then install version 1.5 here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/

DCS Black Shark 1 is not DCS World compatible. You have to buy DCS Black Shark 2 in order to plug it into World and fly with other people online.

As far as manuals go, start with this for the A-10C: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/documentation/dcs_a-10c_flight_manual_en/?sphrase_id=5629496

once you've got the basics down on how to operate the aircraft and have some basic practice under your belt, start reading about some real tactics in the A-10C here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=165469

In addition to the above resources, Bunyap Sims' "On the Range" playlist is full of useful tutorials on various topics.

Also, the Basic, Advanced, and Tactical qualification videos by Recon Stewart can be very informative.

The missions he's running are the Maple Flag campaigns of the same name.

Thanks! That is what I need to get started again as I wasn't even sure if I needed to purchase the A-10 again. Being able to download DCS World 1.5 is a nice plus.

Another rookie question:

I purchased the A-10 through Eagle Dynamic. Should I install the A-10 version I have (1.2), then DCS World? How do I update the A-10?

Any other advice about campaign purchases would be helpful.

Regards

Brent

Edited by Brent

i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming, Asus GeForce GTX 970, 32Gb, TM Warthog HOTAS, W10 64bit

Thanks! That is what I need to get started again as I wasn't even sure if I needed to purchase the A-10 again. Being able to download DCS World 1.5 is a nice plus.

Another rookie question:

I purchased the A-10 through Eagle Dynamic. Should I install the A-10 version I have (1.2), then DCS World? How do I update the A-10?

Any other advice about campaign purchases would be helpful.

Regards

Brent

Hey Brent,

Don't install 1.2. You want to install 1.5 here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/stable/

Once you install DCS World and it opens for the first time, close it and then go to the following path: cb77bf58b240ad38f74ce5cf200380f8.png

Once there, hold the left Shift key and right click on the bin folder. Then, click "Open command window here"

You will get a Command Prompt like this: 5625eb8d3c98ab7c3832ee143a59141a.png

Input the text after bin> as shown and press Enter. The DCS Updater should pop up and then once the files are done downloading, go to this path: C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\A-10C\bin and you should see a file called a10_protect; double-click on this, then you should get a popup like this: e8109c51233b9b66285229b4072be6cf.png

Click the bubble next to Activate or deactivate product, then click Next. You will then see the following box: 169glqq.png (my key is hidden for protection)

Put your Serial Number from the box in and click Next, it should activate. You can then close any applicable windows, start DCS and you should have an activated A-10C Warthog. ;) Let me know if you have other questions. Welcome back!

• Like 1

Come join a passionate community of flight simmers everyday, live at

16hnv2f.png

PC Specs

Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.4GHz MSI Z170A Gaming M7

Corsair Vengeance LED 2666MHz 32GB DDR4

H115i 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler

EVGA GeForce 980Ti Hybrid (built-in liquid cooling)

EVGA SuperNova 750W 80+Gold

Samsung NVMe 950PRO M.2 SSD 512GBx2

In addition to the above resources, Bunyap Sims' "On the Range" playlist is full of useful tutorials on various topics.

+1 on this, that's a great resource. I've been watching those videos over and over again when going to bed as of late (either that or AMC's "hell on wheels") and it's really interesting how the stuff he demonstrates will come to mind in my own flying. (I mean bunyap, not hell on wheels. it's a great show, but not very informative on A-10C's)

Another great resource on flying the aircraft, as well as just a really cool guy who took time to hang out with us, was Maj. Peter Olson (retired) He did a team speak Q&A, and Forum member dabomb set it up and recorded it. You can find the post where he gave a link to the recording here.

As far as installing campaigns, it's pretty straight forward. If you buy from the ED store, which I recommend you do, when you start DCS World and go to the modules page (that button on the top made on 9 small squares next to the settings button) it'll automatically detect you've bought it (It's linked with your ED login credentials) and install it for you. Then you just cpoy+paste the serial they email you, which I've always gotten within a few seconds of purchasing, and you're off to the races.

Edited by Wrench
added link

Hey Brent,

Don't install 1.2. You want to install 1.5 here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/stable/

Once you install DCS World and it opens for the first time, close it and then go to the following path: cb77bf58b240ad38f74ce5cf200380f8.png

Once there, hold the left Shift key and right click on the bin folder. Then, click "Open command window here"

You will get a Command Prompt like this: 5625eb8d3c98ab7c3832ee143a59141a.png

Input the text after bin> as shown and press Enter. The DCS Updater should pop up and then once the files are done downloading, go to this path: C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\A-10C\bin and you should see a file called a10_protect; double-click on this, then you should get a popup like this: e8109c51233b9b66285229b4072be6cf.png

Click the bubble next to Activate or deactivate product, then click Next. You will then see the following box: 169glqq.png (my key is hidden for protection)

Put your Serial Number from the box in and click Next, it should activate. You can then close any applicable windows, start DCS and you should have an activated A-10C Warthog. ;) Let me know if you have other questions. Welcome back!

This will work. However there is another (similar) way. Install DCS World 1.5.6 (thats the latest version). Go to the DCS website, login, and copy your product key to the buffer. (CTRL+C is fine). Enter DCS World, it will ask you for your login and pass again. Its the same one from the website. Once you are there, use the module manager to install the Warthog. It will then ask you for your CD key which you will be able to paste with CTRL + V.

Thats it. Setup your peripherals, HOTAS, whatever and you are ready to fly. :pilotfly:

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Hi ChillyWillies - your instructions were perfect and I had no issues installing the updated A-10C into DCS World. Thanks for your help and to all those that took the time to reply! Now I've got some studying to do.

Brent

Hi ChillyWillies - your instructions were perfect and I had no issues installing the updated A-10C into DCS World. Thanks for your help and to all those that took the time to reply! Now I've got some studying to do.

Brent

Hey Brent,

Your welcome and I am glad to help. If you have A-10C questions you can put them in the appropriate thread under the DCS: A-10C Warthog sub-forum or simply PM me as well and I will get back to you.

Chilly

Come join a passionate community of flight simmers everyday, live at

16hnv2f.png

PC Specs

Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.4GHz MSI Z170A Gaming M7

Corsair Vengeance LED 2666MHz 32GB DDR4

H115i 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler

EVGA GeForce 980Ti Hybrid (built-in liquid cooling)

EVGA SuperNova 750W 80+Gold

Samsung NVMe 950PRO M.2 SSD 512GBx2