So what's the deal with the radar?

Boris

Very often I'm having trouble picking up aircraft on radar.

I'll have a target dead ahead visually acquired, maybe 10 to 15km away, slightly above, open spaces... and the radar picks up nothing.

How can this be?

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

i heard radar is useless bellow 3000 meters or more less i cant pick up any signals from low altitute too..

Is that realistic behaviour though, or a bug? I can't imagine the radar not being able to pick up the target in real life, if there is no interference.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Is that realistic behaviour though, or a bug? I can't imagine the radar not being able to pick up the target in real life, if there is no interference.

Radar signals have a thing called 'side lobes'. Without getting too much into detail, the radar beam not only emits where the dish is pointing, but also off angle as well. This energy can create reflections against things the dish is not directly pointing at, resulting in interference.

In the case of the Sapfir, it is likely that at altitudes below 3km, the sidelobes are bouncing fairly constantly off the ground, essentially self-jamming the radar. New radars use post processing tricks to get around this, but given the age of the Sapfir, it is something the MiG just needs to live with.

Edited by Hyena

The only explanation is - the old "radar mounted upside down" ;) bug seems to be back in recent version of the game.

Yeah, this was last night even.

Radar is spotty at best, I have better luck visually scanning and just keeping the radar off. Definitely frustrating though since you're going up against multiple aircraft with functioning radar and a more efficient RWR :(