Lavochkin La-17 target drone

Volator

I can't see a logical reason for expending the resources. Most players do not do 'realistic' training, for one. Also, drones exist because of the cost of actual combat aircraft. In the sim, such costs do not exist.

I won't deny that it would be cool, and this is a wishlist, but given that there are so very many more necessary things to be worked on, I would put this at the very bottom of the priority list.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I can't see a logical reason for expending the resources. Most players do not do 'realistic' training, for one. Also, drones exist because of the cost of actual combat aircraft. In the sim, such costs do not exist.

I won't deny that it would be cool, and this is a wishlist, but given that there are so very many more necessary things to be worked on, I would put this at the very bottom of the priority list.

I strongly disagree. I consistently use drone killing as a means of easing new players into DCS, and drone fights are always the first mission I run in my multiplayer COOP campaigns with friends, just so they can get a feel for how the radar works.

In my case I used a USAF Aggressor Squadron and just claimed the Hawk jets we were shooting at were unmanned. I even got them to take off from a friendly airfield without issue, too!

As for the resources for such a mod, it really won't be hard. A 3D model, a simple flight model, a little LUA code, and it's already done. We're not asking for something super complicated; just target practice.

+9000 I'd love to see target drones and other exercise like stuff implemented at some point. I'd love to for example do this

Target drones have lots of potential for new players, it's also much more realistic. They also allow for much more realistic exercises (kind of like a simulator within a simulator) type stuff.

It would also go nicely with this https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=161289 but as well as having separate coalitions for training purposes have an option to use a unit as a target practice unit via the mission editor which would allow BLUFOR players to shoot down BLUFOR drones for instance without having problems with friendly fire for instance.

I do however agree with cichlidfan that this is probably low priority as there is so many necessary, top priority stuff that needs doing (DCS 2.5 etc etc etc).

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.