Using OvGME to apply & manage Mods

Rudel_chw

Question: I have used OVGME for a while but only with the saved games folder. I open OVGME and select my mods and enable them, then I exit OVGME and the mods work fine. Now I am going to start to use some mods in the main beta game folder. After I enable them, can I still exit OVGME and they will work fine or do I have to leave OVGME running? I think I can exit and it will work, but I want to be sure if the normal way of using OVGME is selecting mods, activating mods, and exiting OGME.

Thanks

You are correct. It doesn't have to run no.

I love this prog, but just so you know, it's basically just an automatic unzipper/file copier, nothing else.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

You are correct. It doesn't have to run no.

I love this prog, but just so you know, it's basically just an automatic unzipper/file copier, nothing else.

Ok, so I was thinking correct. And yes, I know how OVGME works but it is still a very nice utility for DCS.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Thanks. You helped me get this program working to help as it was intended to do. I watched a video and it pointed me in the wrong direction for the main Eagle Dynamics folder. It works and thanks for the guide here. I have book marked this and will use it when required.

Thanks Again,

Wayne Wilson

Wayne Wilson

AKA: hrnet940

Alienware Aurora R3, i7 3820 3.5GHz(4.2GHz setting) processor, EVGA Nvidia RTX 2070 8GB Graphics, 16GB Ram, 1TB SSD.

• 4 months later...

I am taking another go at using this to get my Phidgets LED64 Advanced board up and running in DCS World. I heard that the functionality is already there and working and would love to have my LED's working in DCS as they already do in P3D. I already had this working before and stopped using it as I was getting some weird stuff happening. Found out it was the overclocking I did on my video board that was causing the issues. Now that everything has been working great, time to get back into Helios. I went to activate my F/A-18C mod and get this warning (attached as jpeg.) What is the issue and how do I correct it? Many thanks.

Thanks,

Wayne

517765944_OvGMEBackupError.jpg.08a10fcafa9ee541448c43fe968c7106.jpg

Wayne Wilson

AKA: hrnet940

Alienware Aurora R3, i7 3820 3.5GHz(4.2GHz setting) processor, EVGA Nvidia RTX 2070 8GB Graphics, 16GB Ram, 1TB SSD.

• 2 weeks later...

Can I relocate folder OvGME from "C:\ProgramData" to another place?

Edited by SMN

Окурок, выброшенный в урну, гораздо патриотичнее флажочка на автомобиле

TM Wartrhog Stick + VPC MongoosT-50Base + VPC TMW Extension 150mm / TM Wartrhog Throttle / CH Pro Pedals / 2-VPC Deck Mount / TrackIR5/

i5-10600K Over to 5.0MHz/32GbDD4-3200/RTX4070/System-SSD1 DCS-SSD2/32" 2560x1440

Can I relocate folder OvGME from "C:\ProgramData" to another place?

I don't know if you can move it after install .. but you can certainly select the path you want when installing the utility (see the 1st post of this thread).

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I don't know if you can move it after install .. but you can certainly select the path you want when installing the utility (see the 1st post of this thread).

I can not select the path for folder C:\ProgramData\OvGME during installing the utility !

OvGME made two folder during installing!

- C:\Program Files\OvGME (default, can change during installing)

- C:\ProgramData\OvGME (can not change during installing)

I about C:\ProgramData\OvGME... (there are informations about installing MODs in each profile) ...screenshort

C_ProgramData_OvGME.PNG.455625362a42a5b1faf3e2d8ba03f43d.PNG

Edited by SMN

TM Wartrhog Stick + VPC MongoosT-50Base + VPC TMW Extension 150mm / TM Wartrhog Throttle / CH Pro Pedals / 2-VPC Deck Mount / TrackIR5/

i5-10600K Over to 5.0MHz/32GbDD4-3200/RTX4070/System-SSD1 DCS-SSD2/32" 2560x1440

I can not select the path for folder C:\ProgramData\OvGME during installing the utility !

OvGME made two folder during installing!

- C:\Program Files\OvGME (default, can change during installing)

- C:\ProgramData\OvGME (can not change during installing)

I about C:\ProgramData\OvGME... (there are informations about installing MODs in each profile) ...screenshort

This is how Windows work.

Install to either "Program Files (x86)" or just "Program Files".

Don't TOUCH "Program Data". Let windows handle that one. Why the hell do you want put things there anyway?

Go by default, and you're fine.

Why the hell do you want put things there anyway?

Go by default, and you're fine.

My DCS on SSD (disk H). Windows - on C

When I restore my Win10 from old image (Disc C) and C:\ProgramData\OvGME folder - present MODs in DSC and MODs what I see after restore in OvGME interface (from C:\ProgramData\OvGME - are difference... :(

Edited by SMN

When I restore my Win10 from old image (Disc C) and C:\ProgramData\OvGME folder - present MODs in DSC and MODs what I see after restore in OvGME interface (from C:\ProgramData\OvGME - are difference... :(

Okay. But what folder have you configured OvGME to use for storing the Mods? Because that is easy to move if you still have them/that folder.

I just did that today. Piece of cake!

• 2 months later...

I found another MOD manager (ModManFX 64 Bits) :thumbup:

Will try.... I think that this exactly what I need

I found another MOD manager (ModManFX 64 Bits) :thumbup:

Will try.... I think that this exactly what I need

I tried it, but couldnt get used to its GUI ... so far, the best for me has been OvGME: easy to use and works well:

r80V3lA.jpg

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

I tried it, but couldnt get used to its GUI ... so far, the best for me has been OvGME: easy to use and works well:

For me the main in "ModManFX" - no linkage with system disk C! thumbup.gif

Edited by SMN

NEVER put any user files in the c:/windows, c:/Program Files or c:/Program Files (x86) period. That is asking for real trouble down the line.

I keep my own mods, OvGME, documents, DCS downloads and all non official files in a folder under ../Documents and Settings/<your user name>/Saved Games/My DCS Files/. where I have a My MODS folder along with an OvGME Backup folder.

Of course, the actual official DCS saved game is in ../Documents and Settings/<your user name>/Saved Games/DCS/.

---

PC: Windows 10 Pro X64, AMD FX8120 8 Core @ ~4.0GHz, 32GB DDR3-1600, GTX 1080 8Gb, 1 TB EVO 860 SSD | Displays: 3 Dell HD 1920x1080 @ 5520x1080 windowed ||| Hardware : TM Warthog HOTAS Stick+Throttle | 3x TM Cougar MFD's | WW Combat Panel | WW Landing Panel ||| Mods: F/A-18C | F-16 | P51-D | UH-1H | C130-J | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Syria | Channel | Normandy | WWII Assets | Super Carrier | Combined Arms

Of course, the actual official DCS saved game is in ../Documents and Settings/<your user name>/Saved Games/DCS/.

That is a Windows 7 path .. on modern Windows it is /Users/<your user>/Saved Games/DCS :)

• 1 year later...

Hopefully this thread is still monitored: I can't find an answer to this question when searching on-line: I want to preserve my logbook.lua file. Last time I did a clean install of DCS, I messed-up and I forgot to copy it somewhere else and lost it!  Can you use this program to "enable" the current version of this file, then later on when you select "disable" will this program copy the current, and "game edited" version of the file back to the "Configuration Mods Folder" and "overwrite" the older file version; thereby keeping the logbook.lua current and up-to-date? Thanks! (I want to use it for joystick/keyboard files as well rather than copying and pasting later. If possible.)

Edited by Antibak

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/23/2022 at 8:59 PM, Antibak said:

Can you use this program to "enable" the current version of this file, then later on when you select "disable" will this program copy the current, and "game edited" version of the file back to the "Configuration Mods Folder" and "overwrite" the older file version; thereby keeping the logbook.lua current and up-to-date?

No, as this is just a Mod Manager .. it can't automatically backup configuration files, like the lua file that contains your Logbook.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, skypickle said:

thank you rudel for making this thread. unfortunately the pics at the beginning are all missing.

Actually they are not missing ... this is a 5 year old thread, but the current internet browsers demand hosting the images on secure website .. seems my old webserver is not secure enough and so the browser shows the images as broken ... you can check for example the 1st image by clicking on this link: http://www.schoenstatt-antofagasta.cl/capa9/2017/dcs/201702_OvGME_Guide/f01.jpg

Anyway, I'm reluctant to fix the Guide as it was written for a much earlier version of OvGME so its value currently is very low, and even if I were to rewrite it from scratch, the software itself is not being maintained anymore, its developer @sedenion opted instead to release a completely new Mod Manager.

Eduardo

• 2 months later...

A big refloat!

Is there a way to remove the original files instead of overwrite them? I want to remove the files inside the kneboard folder of the maps to remove all those charts and have quick access to my charts. If I just put the same name files (png ones) with cero bytes it will load them as blank so I will need to click "next kneeboard page" as if they were there. The only way is removing those files, but I would like to make it through OvGME to restore them easy.

1 hour ago, Japo32 said:

Is there a way to remove the original files instead of overwrite them?

No, OvGME can only add new files or replace existing ones ... no deletion.

1 hour ago, Japo32 said:

a shame.. would be great to be implemented in future

This Mod Manager is not being supported anylonger, so its not likely.

May I suggest that you give a try to JSGME, as that Manager did have the ability to delete files (if I remember correctly, as it's many years since I last used it).

• Like 1