Help with GTX1070 terrible FPS

Title says it all. I am playing the first mission in the Georgian Oil Campaign in the Su-25t. While following the Enroute to the AO as I pass the mountains to my left the frame rate slows down so much I can actually count it. (3-4 fps)

The FPS gets better if I turn my view directly to the mountains - when I look forward in the cockpit again, it drops. I have no idea what is wrong, this graphics card is much better than my previous R9 290x GPU in every game except this one - on DCS it actually does worse!

I have set graphics option down for the MSAA to x4 and Anisotropic filtering to x8. I also set cockpit resolution down to 512. Still no difference.

Edit: All other settings at default HIGH preset.

Edit2:It's only the environment FPS that slows, the cockpit seems to be unaffected.

Anyone have any ideas?

Operating System

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU

Intel Core i5 4690K @ 3.50GHz 32 °C

Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM

16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 800MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard

MSI Z97 GAMING 5 (MS-7917) (SOCKET 0) 30 °C

Graphics

2770 (1920x1080@60Hz)

DELL E228WFP (1680x1050@60Hz)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 35 °C

Storage

223GB KINGSTON SV300S37A240G (SSD) 27 °C

465GB SAMSUNG HD501LJ (SATA) 28 °C

232GB Western Digital WDC WD25 00BEVT-00A23T0 USB Device (USB)

Edited by Kamov Akula

Did this fix it?

Modded CapLoz HeliosV2.1_1280x1024.zip

2x 1080p 22"Monitors, Saitek X52, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Trackir5, Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel Q9550 @3.8Ghz, EP45-UD3L, 8GB Ram, Nvidia 560Ti 2GB, 2x 500GB Velociraptor

Flaming Cliffs 3

DCS:A10C,KA-50, Huey, Mi-8, WWII Euro 40+ Supporter, Mig21

Falcon 4 BMS

IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946

Take on Helicopters

Arma 2 AO + PMC + BF All Addons Series

Arma 3

EECH & EEAH

Medivac & Search and Rescue 4 Series

if fps drop to 3-4fps then it could be a problem with the graphics card or something running in the background...thats a hell of a fps drop mate!!...check temperatures during gaming, GPU/CPU usage, ram/vram usage, GPU/CPU clocks during game, other programs running, etc. Check also other games/benchmarks to see how well the card/system performs, as I said maybe there is a problem with the card itself.

Take a look at my MODS here

sometimes when this happened to me, really low FPS, this is a bad install with broken textures.

sometime 'DCS_updater.exe repair' doesn't help with this, you then have to rename/delete your dcs directory and do a complete fresh install (from most recent BINs)

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

FWIW, have you checked that your CPU is clocking at what you think it should be? CPU performance seems to have a greater effect on DCS than what MY GFX card is set to. I thought my 3.5 Ghz i7 was clocked at about 4.0 Ghz, but realised that Windows (10) Power/performance options were throttling it. It might be worth a peek at the Power Options Advanced Settings Processer Power Management option to make sure that the Maximum Processer State is at 100% Clearly, Windows thinks my Tower is a Laptop, because even on the High performance plan, it was trying to save juice.

Although I havent cured all performance issues by far, I have managed to get DCS to at least run at my monitors max setting of 60 fps, where it was running at half that with the same GFX card, and CPU speed throttled. My real problem though, may have been using the ASUS Turbo-V OC software that came with my PC - It's far better AFAIK to not use this, but to rely on BIOS settings.

Edited by mkiii

You have something else going on. I have been running the EVGA GTX 1070 since 2 weeks after its release. Did you make sure that you're AMD drivers were completely removed before installing the GTX 1070? They may be conflicting. I average 60FPS on the ground and 100+ above 20000 ft. with all three screens and graphic setting maxed on all options.

This SCREAMS drivers to me. Also, what is the temp of the GPU when the framing starts? What is the version of the 1070.... FTW? SC? etc ....

Rig:

3 X 27" 1920*1080 Samsung monitors

Asus Z270 Prime -A motherboard

i7 7700k 4.0ghz

32g Corsair Vengeance DDR4

EVGA GTX 1070

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.Vcw13.com

Asus Z270 Prime-A | i7-7700k | 32G Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 | EVGA RTX 2080ti | 2x 960 EVO M.2 in RAID 0 | 500GB SSD | Thrustmaster Warthog | Pimax 5K Plus

https://www.youtube.com/c/OverKillSims

• 2 weeks later...

I did a fresh reinstall of DCS World and went to the AMD website and used their clean driver uninstall utility. It didn't make any difference. I would like to take a video of exactly where the FPS drops the most in hopes that experienced people might be able to assess the problem better if they can see it. How can I record the game? I know the in-game "replay" won't do because that's literally a replay, not a recording. Any suggestions? Thanks!

FWIW, have you checked that your CPU is clocking at what you think it should be? CPU performance seems to have a greater effect on DCS than what MY GFX card is set to. I thought my 3.5 Ghz i7 was clocked at about 4.0 Ghz, but realised that Windows (10) Power/performance options were throttling it. It might be worth a peek at the Power Options Advanced Settings Processer Power Management option to make sure that the Maximum Processer State is at 100% Clearly, Windows thinks my Tower is a Laptop, because even on the High performance plan, it was trying to save juice.

Although I havent cured all performance issues by far, I have managed to get DCS to at least run at my monitors max setting of 60 fps, where it was running at half that with the same GFX card, and CPU speed throttled. My real problem though, may have been using the ASUS Turbo-V OC software that came with my PC - It's far better AFAIK to not use this, but to rely on BIOS settings.

Yes that part I was able to confirm before I came here, using CPU-z. The CPU is clocking at 4.4Ghz using a multiplier.

You could try Fraps. That will record your screen to a video file. It usually has a cap of 30 seconds for the freeware version. You could also try using your smartphone to record the screen and fps counter in DCS. The reason I say this is because Fraps may affect your framerate, which defies the whole point of capturing the video.

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would love to hear from a Member who has the same system except for the Processor. Someone with an i7 and the exact MB and other parts as yours.

Anyone?

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

Same here. Specs in sig, but I have had excellent performance. Never dips below 60fps. I agree with what has been said earlier - this really sounds like a driver issue. I don't think you ever clearly stated so just to make sure: your drivers are fully up to date, correct?

Do you have issues in other games? Have you tried benchmarking the GPU?

In-game: Badger

I5-6600k @ 4.5 | MSI Z170A Krait | GTX 1070 G1 | 32Gb Ripjaw | Corsair H60 AIO | X-55 Rhino HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | Saitek Pro Pedals

A-10 Warthog: For the times when absolutely, positively everything must die.

A10C | F/A-18C | F-14B | M2000C | AJS37 | UH1 | FC3

Same here. Specs in sig, but I have had excellent performance. Never dips below 60fps. I agree with what has been said earlier - this really sounds like a driver issue. I don't think you ever clearly stated so just to make sure: your drivers are fully up to date, correct?

Do you have issues in other games? Have you tried benchmarking the GPU?

No, I just made sure the old AMD drivers were taken out. I thought the card is so new that can't be an issue but I shouldn't assume. So that's what I will do next, then if that fails I'll record a play and post it for more help. Thanks!

No, I just made sure the old AMD drivers were taken out. I thought the card is so new that can't be an issue but I shouldn't assume. So that's what I will do next, then if that fails I'll record a play and post it for more help. Thanks!

What is the gpu clock and memory clock speed?

• 3 weeks later...
What is the gpu clock and memory clock speed?

I noticed that during the frame rate drop, my 1070 doesn't step up to the high clock speeds. It stays down at idle. This is so frustrating. One thing I don't like about these newer cards is that I can't force constant speeds on them! Or at least I haven't found a way to do it with my card... Also I did update the driver to the latest and it hasn't helped.

I noticed that during the frame rate drop, my 1070 doesn't step up to the high clock speeds. It stays down at idle. This is so frustrating. One thing I don't like about these newer cards is that I can't force constant speeds on them! Or at least I haven't found a way to do it with my card... Also I did update the driver to the latest and it hasn't helped.

if your card doesnt throttle, it does not in other games also?

then you card might be faulty?

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Wondering if it is possible the 1070 could have this type of negative impact if plugged into the wrong or lower speed GPU Motherboard adapter.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.