Carrying out missions in VR

Daz85UK

Hi guys,

I am about to order a rift CV1 however, one thing that is holding me back is the worry of not being able to carry out missions and campaigns as well as what i can now due to lack of resolution.

The reason I am asking this is due to reading ALOT of peoples opinions on here saysing its great for immersion and Low level flying gives you a great sense of speed. This is all great however im yet to see someone comment on the ability to manage youre aircraft properly during missions, for example, changing weapons profiles in the A10c, hooking targets etc on the TAD, or spotting targets on the TGP?

I have put alot of hours into learning the A 10C and feel im an above average pilot in it now, i dont want to feel like im being handicapped by the resolution issue in VR.

One quick question to add, do snap views work in VR? So i could snap to a close up of the CDU for example?

Thanks

you dont really need snap views but the VR zoom is really handy.

remember the rift mimics your head movements, so snap views would most likely make you throw up hehehe

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

Thanks guys, how about snap views? Do they work?

I don't think the snap views work, but you won't need them. Just lean in a little bit if something is hard to see or read.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Being a fairly new Rift owner my experience is still somewhat limited, but so far flying some missions in the Spit and the KA-50 I have had no issues at all. Ironically I can actually see things better, especially my instruments. Had to wear reading glasses before when on the 2d monitor, and now that things are actual size I can see them great without the need for the reading glasses.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I almost finished the campaign for the Mirage 2000 and played all missions in VR (Rift). It absolutely changes the level of immersion and I can really recommend the Rift for playing missions. Some maneuvers like areal refueling, flying in formation are more natural and easier to perform in VR.

Yes, you have to know the cockpit, as some of the small cockpit labelings are hard to read. But no game breaker. And the cockpit of the A-10C is really huge (compared to the one of the Mirage) and easy to handle in VR.

I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA GTX1080Ti SC, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000, Win10 64, BenQ EW3270ZL 2560x1440, VPC WarBRD Base + TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S

And the cockpit of the A-10C is really huge (compared to the one of the Mirage) and easy to handle in VR.

This is really one of the first things you notice, how small the cockpits are in some planes and how big it is in the A10C

Another awesome feeling is when you close the canopy for the first time and really get that "now this got real tight" feeling in the mirage (and also the Viggen)

Another awesome feeling is when you close the canopy for the first time and really get that "now this got real tight" feeling in the mirage (and also the Viggen)

You should try the 109.:D

I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA GTX1080Ti SC, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000, Win10 64, BenQ EW3270ZL 2560x1440, VPC WarBRD Base + TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S

I HAVE HAD ALL THREE OCULUS RIFTS you wont go wrong with CV1 Tracking better than trak-ir, I am a real world pilot and can say VR much more like real, no flat screen your in the cockpit, yeah much talk about resolution ,visuals, VR no going back...VR,,, made for flying

Same as the others. I can't say its perfect for AA combat since the scaling has been removed but for AG missions I've had no real issues at all.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

--snippage--

I have put alot of hours into learning the A 10C and feel im an above average pilot in it now, i dont want to feel like im being handicapped by the resolution issue in VR.

Thanks

Daz,

You sound like you paid your dues and know the frame inside and out. But you are an above average 2D monitor pilot. Once you go VR, you will realizing why air refueling, flying in formation, NOE, etc is so much harder than it needs to be. Or tracking targets as you're jinking and juking. It's because your brain cannot maintain 3D spatial awareness. And you get that with VR.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Daz,

You sound like you paid your dues and know the frame inside and out. But you are an above average 2D monitor pilot. Once you go VR, you will realizing why air refueling, flying in formation, NOE, etc is so much harder than it needs to be. Or tracking targets as you're jinking and juking. It's because your brain cannot maintain 3D spatial awareness. And you get that with VR.

Exactly, and i will go further with this, i find it funny how people will bag on VR saying it will handicap them in whatever choice of airframe they use... sorry but 2d is the biggest handicap, the only thing 2d currently has over VR/3d is CLarity thats it. You can not describe the tactical let alone just conventional advantage you have in VR. Your brain Operates correctly its beyond amazing how much more advantage you have in VR compared to 2d.

So long story short, if your reasoning for not going VR is due to Clarity issues so be it but those who fly in 2d are the Handicapped lot. VR is amazing.

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

I have enjoyed rerunning the Mi-8 campaign that ships with the module again in the rift. Completely different experience. When time allows I also like to revisit the A-10C single missions and enjoy having everything I need at my fingertips. Except inputing co-ordinates into the CDU:doh:

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I also like to revisit the A-10C single missions and enjoy having everything I need at my fingertips. Except inputing co-ordinates into the CDU:doh:

Hi Cib,

Numpad on the keyboard is great for that, and note that NUM5 has a litle "bump" so you can find it easily in the rift :)

The only issue is I cant remove NUM5 as a recenter view button :(

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Cib,

Numpad on the keyboard is great for that, and note that NUM5 has a litle "bump" so you can find it easily in the rift :)

The only issue is I cant remove NUM5 as a recenter view button :(

And ultramfcd is working on bringing VR support. So again, future looks good!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1