Move DCS to a new SSD device

I am about to migrate my DCS installation to a SSD, If I just copy/paste the installation folder and change the shortcut targets, will it work or I have to uninstall and install again ?

Both 1.5.6 and 2.0.

Thank you!

EDIT: I am using the original DCS, not the steam version.

Edited by metzger

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes it will work, though both games will not be able to copy files between each other during updates (separate copies of DCS "detect" each other on a single computer using registry entries). So edit shortcuts in Windows registry as well to have full functionality after "manual" migration.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

And you probably should deregister and re-register after the fact.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Deactivating and reactivating modules is not necessary, license key data in the registry doesn't depend on game folder location.

As for the changes, just fire up registry editor, find and edit Your DCS folder path here: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World, and the next one below for DCS World Open Alpha. I think there was also another entry somewhere in the registry where it needed to be done (or so I was told), but I don't remember its location. Search the forums, there was a thread about the very same subject I participated in a couple of months ago, when I did just the same move from HDD to SSD like You.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

But doesn't change in HW cause you to activate the license again? I had more change than just HD, so maybe that's why it triggered it.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Adding an SSD only (while also keeping the old system running off the previous disk) is not enough to trigger the reactivation. Indeed, one needs to change more components for that.

I don't remember having to edit any of the registry when coping the alpha and beta over to a new m.2 SSD, just edit the dcs_local_source.txt to reflect the new locations. Don't forget to edit the release version dcs_local_source.txt!

Intel 5820k | Asus X-99A | Crucial 16GB | Powercolor Devil RX580 8GB | Win 10 x64 | Oculus Rift | https://gallery.ksotov.co.uk

Patiently waiting for: DCS: Panavia Tornado, DCS: SA-2 Guideline, DCS: SA-3 Goa, DCS: S-300 Grumble

Thanks guys, will try it later :)

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

i am also wondering this. can you share your experience after doing ?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Adding an SSD only (while also keeping the old system running off the previous disk) is not enough to trigger the reactivation. Indeed, one needs to change more components for that.

I got you, good to know. I tend to change all things at once. In fact, I'm upgrading my MB, CPU, and adding another SSD this week.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Hi Metzger, it's worth investing in acronis true image for this job. You can clone the image of your old drive onto the new ssd. Then replace the drives and you a good to go, in very little time & effort!

ASUS Maximus X Hero; i7-8700K OC'd @ 5 Ghz; Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 AMP Extreme 8GB; 32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200Mhz RAM; 500GB Samsung EVO 960 SSD; Warthog HOTAS; Saitek Pro Flight Rudder pedals; HP Reverb VR; Realtus Forcefeel Game Pad running on SimShaker for Aviators software. :thumbup:

Hi Metzger, it's worth investing in acronis true image for this job. You can clone the image of your old drive onto the new ssd. Then replace the drives and you a good to go, in very little time & effort!

Well I dont want to migrate the whole disk, it is bigger than the ssd anyway. I need just dcs, xplane and some racing sims :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i am also wondering this. can you share your experience after doing ?

I just copied and pasted both 1.5 and 2.0 and both seems to work fine. The only thing I changed are the shortcuts targets.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This works for any game, even games that dont want to move easily.

I use this trick to move games around my disks easily.

Just copy the full game folder to another disk and create a symlink from the initial location to the final location. What happens is, when windows goes and looks for the folder, it is redirected to the second disk instead.

Search for Windows Symlink, its something that exists in operating systems since the start but its not very well known in the Windows world. In the linux world it is used a lot!

Proud owner of DCS: FC3, A-10C Warthog, F-14A/B Tomcat, F-5E Tiger, Mig21bis Fishbed, Mirage 2000C, Nevada Test Site, Normandy, Ka-50 Black Shark, Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight, UH-1H Huey, SA342 Gazelle, Bf 109 K-4 Kurfurst, FW 190 D-9 Dora, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-51D Mustang Combined Arms, Hawk T.1A, L-39 Albatros, NS 430 Nav System, F-86F Sabre, MiG-15bis, AV-8B Night Attack V/STOL, F/A-18C Hornet, Yak-52 and the mighty AJS-37 Viggen! :music_whistling:

• 4 years later...

There is a wide variety of answers in this thread ranging from just cut and paste, to edit the registry, to edit the local_source.txt, to create symlinks, etc.

I also need to move DCS, but I'm confused.  Any definitive answers to this question?  

• Like 1