Just a quick Pixel Density overview

Knock-Knock

Out of own curiosity I quickly put together this Pixel Density overview, showing the total pixel resolution, we actually render with given Pixel Density values, plus a few standard ones for comparison.

Now this isnt the only factor for VR performance obviously, but it sure does have an impact.

431787190_PixelDensity.jpg.9555ce8f4678c14077d020c42a3978d9.jpg

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Very nice chart, thanks for sharing!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The percentage increase in resolution is (10 x PD)^2 - I luv math!

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the chart. I don't notice any visual improvement difference with changing the Pixel Density but at 2.0 I do see it start to ratchet really bad when looking to the side.

Same here, I really can not tell a difference between say 1.5 and 2.0, so I just leave mine at 1.5 for performance sake.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Same here, I really can not tell a difference between say 1.5 and 2.0, so I just leave mine at 1.5 for performance sake.

Same here i tried it at every setting from 1.5 up to 2.0 i couldn't notice any difference at all in reading gauges or looking outside. i left it at 1.5 to get the performance advantage while still being able to read every thing from HUD to gauges.

Same here i tried it at every setting from 1.5 up to 2.0 i couldn't notice any difference at all in reading gauges or looking outside. i left it at 1.5 to get the performance advantage while still being able to read every thing from HUD to gauges.

That is where mine is set. I don't have any issues. When I look directly at gauges, HUD, MFDs, etc, they are quite clear.

I am getting pretty consistent FPS at 45. At times it jumps to 70 and right back to the 40s. It will go down to the high 20s and in the 30s. I don't see an issue with it. What should I be looking for?

That is where mine is set. I don't have any issues. When I look directly at gauges, HUD, MFDs, etc, they are quite clear.

I am getting pretty consistent FPS at 45. At times it jumps to 70 and right back to the 40s. It will go down to the high 20s and in the 30s. I don't see an issue with it. What should I be looking for?

:thumbup:

If you are not seeing any issues, no need to search for them!

Don B

:thumbup:

If you are not seeing any issues, no need to search for them!

haha thats why I never use fps counters and just let I myself say when the game appears to be running poorly. Somewhere along the line the world became obsessed with 60 fps!

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

haha thats why I never use fps counters and just let I myself say when the game appears to be running poorly. Somewhere along the line the world became obsessed with 60 fps!

You know, you are absolutely correct. I am guilty of being an FPS display guy.

Now that I have the system operating where I want I will try and not worry about it or display the FPS. It really does take away from the fun factor.

Very nice chart ! :)

I use Pixel Density of 1.5

I also think it's the sweet spot between visual gain und performance loss.

Quote Vedexent: The technical term for an over ambitious ground attack pilot is "dead".

Quote SiThSpAwN: I figure 1.5 will have to buy some roses and chocolates, take 2.0 to a nice restaurant, and if it opens doors and is a gentleman, 1.5 and 2.0 might just get to merge one day.

I use 1.4 myself try to keep it as low as possible but also as high as possible at the same time! Cant see that much of a diffrence between 4 and 5 so might as well opt for perfomance...

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Yeah I guess the difference between 1.0 and say 1.3 is very very big.

Then step up a little to around 1.4/1.5ish is the best.

Everything above 1.5 is wasted performance I guess.

Quote Vedexent: The technical term for an over ambitious ground attack pilot is "dead".

Quote SiThSpAwN: I figure 1.5 will have to buy some roses and chocolates, take 2.0 to a nice restaurant, and if it opens doors and is a gentleman, 1.5 and 2.0 might just get to merge one day.

Yeah I guess the difference between 1.0 and say 1.3 is very very big.

Then step up a little to around 1.4/1.5ish is the best.

Everything above 1.5 is wasted performance I guess.

I certainly think so. I had mine initially cranked up to 2.0 and thought wow, I am able to run DCS in VR with a PD of 2.0 yay.

Then I got to really testing it, everyone down between 2.0 and 1.5. Then I was like - hmm, I can not visually see any difference in my graphics between the 2, and my performance is certainly better with PD of 1.5. In fact I was able to crank my AA up a little as well.

Don B

Yeah MAA makes a difference.

First I had it at x0 because I read somewhere it had no impact.

But the jaggys of some lines get really better with x2 and x4.

I settled with x2 then for MAA.

I still mess around after every update somewhere between 1.3 to 1.5 PD and 0x to 4x msaa...atm its 1.4 and 2x...also for some reason caucasus works way better for me than nevada, no idea why cause everybody seems to get better performance in nevada. But for me its 1.3 and no msaa there and still less fps than in caucasus...

i7 6700k @ 4,5 Ghz | MSI 1080ti Aero | 32 GB RAM 2133 | 500 GB SSD | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | HTC Vive |:pilotfly:

Performance depends heavily on the aircraft you are using, not just the map.

In Caucasus I have good FPS everywhere.

In Nevada I have good FPS high up in the sky. But on the Ground near Airfields FPS is worse.

Are you guys as well runing any supersampling with the SteamVR setting? I run now 1.1 and had 1.8 in DCS but from what I read here I will move it down to 1.5.

I am with Vive, GTX1070, i7 and A10C always.

Thanks all for sharing.

I may be wrong, but I would not think you would want to run SS (PD) in both Steam and in DCS, probably should set in one or the other?

Isn't SS basically PD in VR? In this case I would think the Steam setting would override the DCS setting maybe?

Edited by dburne

Don B

I may be wrong, but I would not think you would want to run SS (PD) in both Steam and in DCS, probably should set in one or the other?

Isn't SS basically PD in VR? In this case I would think the Steam setting would override the DCS setting maybe?

From what I can tell they can work together somehow but that is really my question. When use Elite Dangerous for example it does show to work together. With DCS and with SteamVR at 1.1 and changing the DCS one around does change things in the simulator so for sure SteamVR is not overriding it?

So I guess my question stays on how the 2 work together? Maybe DCS overrides SteamVR?