Joystick life

May I ask you what's your joystick and what's its average life? I use a Saitek X52 and I feel fine with it, but after about 12 months some axis start to "swing" and I have to send it for assistance. Consider that I've been flying mosty as a bomber in Cliffs of Dover so the joystick wasn't so much solicitated as in a fighter. Is it normal?

(...)I use a Saitek X52 and I feel fine with it, but after about 12 months some axis start to "swing" and I have to send it for assistance.(...)

Unfortunately, Saitek/Mad Catz had quality issues over the last years.

It was different a decade ago, but after Mad Catz bought Saitek... Well, there seemingly was a change in QM.

I don't know, if this will change with Logitech now, but I recon you have the typical cheap potentiometers problem so many customers worry about.

If you google "Saitek quality" you will get an idea.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Logitech was never famous for their joystick potentiometers quality either, so I wouldn't expect much improvement now.

Marcast, for Your next purchase search for something based on hall sensors. Even entry level Thrustmaster sticks have them, while being very affordable nowadays. Keep the X-52 throttle, get rid of the rest.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

May I ask you what's your joystick and what's its average life?

Like on all things, the answer probably depends on the manufacturing quality and price of the joystick.

My first joystick was a US$ 5 unit that only lasted a few months before breaking ... so for the second one, on 1992, I chose to spend more (quite a bit more, US$ 100, if I recall correctly) and got a Thrustmaster PFCS.

I used it for 10 years and had to change one of its springs only once. I decided to replace it, not because of wear, but rather because it wasnt USB and wasnt easy to connect to modern PCs. I actually still have it on storage :)

Thus on 2002, I purchased a second Thrustmaster, this time a TM Cougar that is still working fine 14 years later :D ... of course I've changed its pots three times and also replaced both gimbals when they broke (they seem to be made of a quite soft metal).

So, to have a joystick that in just a year has wear, to me it just screams "bad quality" .. its unfortunate that Thrustmaster Warthog is so expensive, but you do actually get what you paid for.

:)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thus on 2002, I purchased a second Thrustmaster, this time a TM Cougar that is still working fine 14 years later :D ... of course I've changed its pots three times and also replaced both gimbals when they broke (they seem to be made of a quite soft metal).

:D

• Like 1

If the Saitek X-52 still uses the proprietary connector between Throttle and Stick, you need to keep the Joystick, but could use any other Stick in parallel.

DCS allows for multiple controllers.

Just delete the X-52 X and Y axis from all DCS control sets.

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I've had my X 52, 10 years in continual use and everything works perfectly.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

If the Saitek X-52 still uses the proprietary connector between Throttle and Stick, you need to keep the Joystick, but could use any other Stick in parallel.

DCS allows for multiple controllers.

Just delete the X-52 X and Y axis from all DCS control sets.

Is not need leave stick plugged, X-52 joystick is "brain-less", depends on throttle electronics, but throttle work without stick plugged.

Several people use X-52 throttle with MS FFB2, CH and other sticks (that work standalone).

BTW - The need to leave stick plugged for use throttle is in X-45 - in this throttle is "brain-less".

As a TM Warthog owner, I wouldn't say you get what you pay for. Don't get me wrong, the metal grip is amazing, but unfortunately they made the gimbal out of plastic... (google "stiction"). The hall sensors are really precise, but the stiction is starting to prevent me from making use of that precision.

And after three years of moderate use, the paint is starting to come off at some of the edges on mine.

I'll have to swap out the grease on my stick soon -- something I shouldn't have to do because on a stick this expensive, I'd expect better build quality. I guess I wouldn't mind having to do regular maintenance if they at least designed these things to be easy to disassemble, but from the pictures I have seen so far, this is not a thing I am looking forward to (lots of tiny wires I'll have to be careful not to break).

If I were in the market for a high quality, reliable joystick today, I'd take the VKB products into serious consideration.

I've had my X 52, 10 years in continual use and everything works perfectly.

+1 X-52Pro 7 years

Mine too, about 12 years now, as it is still in use by a friend...

Yet it is an old device that was build before Mad Catz acquired Saitek and "optimized" the Quality Control with efficiency and revenue in mind, rather than quality.

That said, I guess you can still buy a good quality Saitek HOTAS, depending on parts used, production plant that built it etc.

Unfortunately the chance to get a "good quality/long live expectance" one, seems to have changed for the worse in the past 15 years.

If one simply Googles "Saitek quality" he can make up his own mind.

Even if I would dismiss 50% of the feedback as ranting customers, the remaining more objective and reasonable feedback isn't very encouraging.

In fact if not the majority of sales would go through Amazon or similar webshops with a very deliberate return policy, I dare say it would be even worse.

In the past I always thought of Saitek as a good bang for the bucks, as yeah they were plastic and sometimes had little issues with precision etc., but in that price segment you couldn't expect premium quality.

That changed when quality degraded and prices were raised. Now I feel there is a considerable gap between price and product.

Just my two cents, though and everybody is free to vote with his purse.

I simply recommend to do a little search through forums and blogs to get some input before you buy, as with all products.

When you want to fly sims like DCS as a hobby and strive for realism, I would recommend to invest a bit more and consider carefully what aircraft you want to focus.

The controller best suited for an A-10C may not be the same best suited for a Helicopter or WW II piston engine plane.

That also means, just because there is Thrustmaster printed on a device, it isn't "perfect"... ;)

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

Joystick life

I have been through too many rubbish Saitek products (from the pedals, to the flight sim yoke - had 3 of those, to the throttle quadrant - had 4 of those). They all suffered with dodgy pots. In fact, none of the throttles ever lined up, even when new.

I made a decision never to touch them again. Bought a cheap (but incredibly accurate) thrustmaster t1600 (which even at that price has hall sensors) and saved my money.

I now have a warthog (with MFG extension) and Kommodo Helicopter controls, and have some MFG pedals on order.

Buy cheap, buy twice (or in Saiteks case three times, four times .........)

ch products - 3 years - without problem. (well, have jitters from the begining, so they are still like the first day i bought them )

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

As I reported elsewhere, and showed in my vids, my MS Sidewinder Precision Pro, which is 18 years old, flies the DCS helicopters incredibly well.

It has a 15pin gameport plug and I use a gameport to USB adapter with it. Connected it up just for a laugh a few weeks back, when I was in-between HOTAS, and was completely blown away by how good it was.

It was my only stick between 1999 and 2006.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

I go through a Saitek X-52 Pro about every 5-6 years. I use my flight gear nearly every day of the year for approximately 2 to 4 hours, sometimes more. The X-52 Pro does have hall sensors in the 'sticks X and Y axis, never have problems with those... but the cheap pots they use in the other 4 axis' are evident immediately in a brand new unit.

It's the slop and play that develops in the joystick after 5-6 years that begs me to replace it. After 2-3 years, adding more heavy damping grease just doesn't cure the slop anymore. The throttle usually works fine, I wish the 'stick part could be purchased separately. I've had many evolution's of Thrustmaster gear in the past and liked most of it very much. I still own a Thrustmaster Cougar that collects dust in a back closet. Bought a Warthog... hated it. There's just something about the X-52 Pro that suits me, but with VKB Sim and Virpil Controls coming out with new models very soon I may ending my habit with Saitek and buying one of those for my next gaming rig build.

Oh yeah, I do have a brand new X-52 Pro in the box as a spare. I got a bit nervous and bought an extra when they began to get scarce right after Saitek was purchased by Logitec.

Somebody just shoot me....... please!

Edited by Winston 60

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

I go through a Saitek X-52 Pro about every 5-6 years. I use my flight gear nearly every day of the year for approximately 2 to 4 hours, sometimes more. The X-52 Pro does have hall sensors in the 'sticks X and Y axis, never have problems with those... but the cheap pots they use in the other 4 axis' are evident immediately in a brand new unit.

It's the slop and play that develops in the joystick after 5-6 years that begs me to replace it. After 2-3 years, adding more heavy damping grease just doesn't cure the slop anymore. The throttle usually works fine, I wish the 'stick part could be purchased separately. I've had many evolution's of Thrustmaster gear in the past and liked most of it very much. I still own a Thrustmaster Cougar that collects dust in a back closet. Bought a Warthog... hated it. There's just something about the X-52 Pro that suits me, but with VKB Sim and Virpil Controls coming out with new models very soon I may ending my habit with Saitek and buying one of those for my next gaming rig build.

Oh yeah, I do have a brand new X-52 Pro in the box as a spare. I got a bit nervous and bought an extra when they began to get scarce right after Saitek was purchased by Logitec.

Somebody just shoot me....... please!

Do you tried the joystick made in your State? A few miles from your house?

CH Products HQ and factory are in Vista (CA), a few miles north of San Diego.

My X-52 is now also 12 Years old, dont use the Stick anymore but my Throttle is still active use with combination of my Sidewinder.

Before Madcatz it was a solid quality Stick, after 12 Years my Throttlel suffer slowly from is Age..

Don't see any glory Future with Saitek and Logitech debacle the last Years saddley, in Form G940 (still miss a good FFB Joystick) and Saitek quality Problems.

Dislike the Warthog also with his center Spring.

Looking probably for VKB or VPC mongoose T-50 let it see.

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

Do you tried the joystick made in your State? A few miles from your house?

CH Products HQ and factory are in Vista (CA), a few miles north of San Diego.

I have a CH Fighterstick that I use sometimes but the lack of a dual stage trigger doesn't endear it to me. The CH throttle felt wrong to me somehow and the rudder pedals were far to close together. They made me feel like I was stuffed into a Cessna 152 again. I sold the throttle and pedals after CH simply refused to sell me a replacement pot for the throttle. They got downright nasty when I requested one, so I bought one online for .89 cents and vowed not to buy products from vendors who won't sell you replacement parts. :joystick:

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

I have a CH Fighterstick that I use sometimes but the lack of a dual stage trigger doesn't endear it to me. The CH throttle felt wrong to me somehow and the rudder pedals were far to close together. They made me feel like I was stuffed into a Cessna 152 again. I sold the throttle and pedals after CH simply refused to sell me a replacement pot for the throttle. They got downright nasty when I requested one, so I bought one online for .89 cents and vowed not to buy products from vendors who won't sell you replacement parts. :joystick:

Thanks for the input. :thumbup:

I think that you missed this message.

no i didin't miss it but i couldn't make it work. i have full set of ch devices and my input values are different.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5