Why should I buy the F-5E Tiger II?

sgtpancake

Hej

So I´ve been fully seduced by DCS since I first tried it 4 weeks ago (reason: Viggen!) and been flying viggen since its release.

However I´m looking for the next module and the F-5E Tiger II looks very intresting, and by the looks of it, quite a contrast to the Viggen.

So, why do you like to fly F-5E Tiger II?

It has wings, and a jet engine. ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Its very easy to operate, there are no complex systems to mess with, you can crank it up and be combat ready in a relatively short amount of time. It is hard to master, however, so you will spend many hours learning its mechanics. I've really enjoyed it because you don't really have to know how to work a bunch of intricate systems to make it combat effective (unlike the A10C).

If you bind the radar functions (DM, DG, and search) to your throttle, that's about all you need to dogfight.

Dropping bombs is as simple as arming them and letting loose.

It's easy to learn, fun to fly (no autopilot), navigation is via Tacan or Dead Reckoning so you need to know your environment and flight plan.

It's great for dogfighting (BFM and ACM) as you have to manage the speed and energy closely and all the fighting is within visual range.

Good assortment of weapons and is a well known Aggressor aircraft with some cool skins (included and user made).

One of my favorites! :thumbup:

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

I bought it today and I am delighted I did, its rockets are deadly accurate and it's cockpit is really easy to learn. I love the two stage gun trigger too. Just has one simple uhf radio. I am delighted with it and can see myself enjoying the module for a very long time to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4.8 I7, 1080, TMW&T, SSD, VKB MK.IV.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, I think since you already have the Viggen, you should not buy Belsimtek's F-5E unless your have a lot of money. Don't get me wrong: is a funny aircraft (great dogfighter at low speed) and a decent simulation, but if you master the Viggen, you will find the F-5E too simple.

There are versions of the F-5E with avionics and guided weapons used even today by several air forces around the world, but Belsimtek is simulating the less complex version of the F-5E, the one used by US Navy and USAF for training purposes, not as a first line, all weather fighter. There is no ILS, no IFF, no inertial navigation, no autopilot, no maverick or other air-ground guided weapons (well, GBU´s 12, but you can´t designate targets).

Also, is not as realistic simulation as Leatherneck´s Mig-21BIS, for example (pretty similar aircraft). Compressor stalls and flameouts are not simulated in this F-5E.

As a fellow user of DCS, my two cents is this: if you already have the Viggen, stay with the Viggen, since is a more powerfull and complex aircraft and you will do more things with the Viggen than with the F-5E. If you want to buy a interceptor as a couple for your Viggen, I recommend you the Mig-21BIS since is a more realistic simulation.

I agree. F-5E is very good module. Its not much complex but still fun to learn and fly.

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II

I´m just saying that the Viggen is a more powerful and complex aircraft and a excelent simulation, and if you already have the Viggen, I don´t see the point of buying a more limited aircraft, even being a decent simulation. The price of both is the same, 60 $, and there is nothing can be done with the F-5E that can't be done with the Viggen (even the attack version of the Viggen is a great dogfighter), but you can do a lot of things with the Viggen that can't do with the F-5E, as all-weather and night operations or perform precision attacks.

I think right now, most of the new costumers will prefer to buy the Viggen before the F-5E. If Belsimtek wants to compete in DCS´market, they should start thinking in some kind of "mid-life upgrade" for the product, as adding ILS, IFF, INS, and Mavericks, and compressor stalls and flameouts, IMO.

The entertainment value of an aircraft does not necessary correlate with its capabilities though. The manual depressible pipper bombing of the F-5E for example is one aspect that stands out as being particularly interesting and challenging, even though objectively speaking it is of course vastly inferior to the A-G capability many other aircraft in DCS.

Gotta love the "I am creating my personal airforce, hence I don't care for limited aircraft" mindset :).

To each their own of course, if OP is of a similar mindset, I guess MasterCaution's point of view holds merit.

If however, OP is an aviation nut like most of us are, and enjoy a good simulation with limitations and capabilities both, F-5E is an excellent module.

I'd also argue that between the MiG-21Bis and F-5E modules, F-5E is the more complete and more realistically behaving one, even though MiG-21 is the aircraft I like more among the two.

That said, there is nothing wrong with suggesting the MiG either. The module does have kinks but hopefully it will stabilize in near future, with Leatherneck Simulations going through a split, buying the MiG-21 would give them needed support for future while they are beginning their new path. It has been my favorite module for a long time. And with fixes and improvements apparently planned, it will get better.

As for my opinions on the F-5E, I have written a fairly lengthy piece when it was released to early access last summer, and it was linked in the Belsimtek's page too. You can look it up if you like, but if you're more into TL;DR; version, let me say that F-5E is a very fun aircraft to fly, has a surprisingly large air to ground payload, AIM-9P5 missiles are quite good, and it is a well done module :).

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

The F-5E module has one of the best feeling flight models in DCS. I do think that a curvature of 20-25 is needed to take away the apparent light weight feel. Although, with the short throw sticks that most of us use, I think practically all modules need atleast 15 in curvature to behave more realistically.

Either way, the sensation of flight is very good with the F-5E. I also really like the effects when pulling high Gs: the visible wing flex, the shaking and the cool rumbling noise. It adds alot to the experience and I also remember liking the F-5E best in VR when I borrowed the Vive from work over a weekend.

All in all a very good module, and a good complement to the A-10C when you want to fly something lighter and more nimble.

I´m talking about people who says "I have 60 $ to spend... What I will purchase? A plane only for day flight (not even ILS), dogfights and non precission attack? Or a plane for day flight, dogfights and non precission attacs AND all-weather flight, precission attack, anti-ship attack, and an excellent suite of avionics?

For me, the answer is obvious. I puchased the F-5E weeks before the Viggen was released, but If I would have to chose now between the F-5E and the Viggen, I would prefer the Viggen since it can do the same missions as the F-5E, and a lot of missions the F-5E can't, and that means more fun flying the Viggen.

I think Belsimteck should continue developing and updating the F-5E if they want to keep having good sale numbers. They said time ago they would think about adding mavericks to the plane. Well, I think this is the right moment. And ILS, INS and IFF, as export versions of the F-5E. Compressor stalls and flameouts would be a good thing to add, too.

And with fixes and improvements apparently planned, it will get better.

From where do I find that? I just yesterday read about the split etc.

As while I like Mig-21, I find it so strange that it has so radically changed since release to totally another kind aircraft multiple times. So I can't even know is it anywhere near "realistic" in its current state where it doesn't like to fly nicely nor even "straight" like it did at some updates.

This makse the F-5E look like totally superior to Mig-21 by handling and performance, while they should be nearly same based the words by the USAF test pilots of US Aggressor group.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

60 bucks for a module that it's way more limited than another he already has? :music_whistling:

You don't buy a module because it is best in the technological era point.

You buy the module because it offers a different way of operating it!

This is something that many doesn't get. The DCS isn't there to offer you F-22 and Su-35... It is there to offer a inferior aircrafts to latest ones all with a own character, limitations and capabilities that other ones doesn't have.

F-5E is an aircraft as considered as is, not as how it is to others.

When a F/A-18 comes, should everyone just say "Don't buy anything else than a F/A-18!"?

When a F-14 comes, should it be repeated again as well?

No, the DCS isn't "Get the latest most advanced aircraft and kick others asses!"

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Off topic about the price :thumbup:

Off topic about the price? You don´t care about price when you buy something? You must be really wealthy :thumbup:

Viggen and F-5E are both 60 $.

Things that can be done with the Viggen and not with the F-5E:

- To fly all weather.

- To navegate by using INS.

- To land by using ILS.

- To use a complex A-G radar.

- To perform A2G precission attacks with missiles.

- To perform STOL operations.

Things that can be made with the F-5E and can´t be made with the Viggen:

- None. F-5E is a good dogfighter, also the Viggen. F-5E can perform A2G attacks with dumb bombs, guns and rockets. Also de Viggen.

So, you get more profit for your money by buying the Viggen, also a really cool plane and a realistic simulation. And I´m sure that´s what most of the costumers now think when they chose a module to buy.

• Like 1

Off topic about the price? You don´t care about price when you buy something? You must be really wealthy :thumbup:

Viggen and F-5E are both 60 $.

Things that can be done with the Viggen and not with the F-5E:

- To fly all weather.

- To navegate by using INS.

- To land by using ILS.

- To use a complex A-G radar.

- To perform A2G precission attacks with missiles.

- To perform STOL operations.

Things that can be made with the F-5E and can´t be made with the Viggen:

- None. F-5E is a good dogfighter, also the Viggen. F-5E can perform A2G attacks with dumb bombs, guns and rockets. Also de Viggen.

So, you get more profit for your money by buying the Viggen, also a really cool plane and a realistic simulation. And I´m sure that´s what most of the costumers now think when they chose a module to buy.

Haha i can point out im not that wealthy, However i work very hard and my gains are buying modules, Its my hobby, All your doing is moaning about the prices, Completely off topic, All that will happen now is admin will close the thread lol :)

Any not too old module is 60$, whether it is 40s vintage, or a 4th gen fighter.

I for one, am not trying to rationalize the purchases for the virtual airforce of my virtual nation to provide it with the greatest capabilities on a virtual incursion on its sovereignty. Maybe also the best value for virtual taxpayers virtual dollars paid for said imaginary nation?

Rather, I pick and choose modules of aircraft I have found interesting, or at times even just pretty. F-5E is an aircraft that has rose to fame with its agility and pilot friendliness. L-39 is a staple for many aerobatics teams worldwide, and main pilot training and even light attack aircraft in many airforces, and is just a blast to fly. MiG-21Bis, by that logic, would compare pretty ill to newer aircraft in DCS in capabilities, yet cost the same as A-10C or Mirage2000C, and I prefer flying the MiG-21 10 times more than either of them.

It has nothing to do with being really wealthy, I'm sure most of us wouldn't exactly fit that definition. An aircraft module being less capable than another similarly priced aircraft module doesn't have much to do with some of our decision processes.

Also while I like the Viggen more, oversimplification does not even begin to describe the sentence "F-5E is a good dogfighter, also the Viggen". Viggen can kinda dogfight, but is not really a good dogfighter, and certainly not as much as the Tiger.

• Like 1

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Haha i can point out im not that wealthy, However i work very hard and my gains are buying modules, Its my hobby, All your doing is moaning about the prices, Completely off topic, All that will happen now is admin will close the thread lol :)

Admin will close the thread because I say that you get more profit for your money if you buy the Viggen instead the F-5E? :huh:

All I´m doing is not "moaning about the prices". All I´m doing is answering the question.