I keep coming back to the L-39.

robban75

Just a small appreciation post. :)

I have almost all the modules released for DCS, and I enjoy all of them. But, the L-39 has a unique quality that makes it stand out in comparison to all the others. IMO, the joy of flight is somehow more present in this module. I don't know what it is, but I love cruising around in the L-39. It's not very fast, which allow you to enjoy the scenery. The visibility from the cockpit, especially the unobstructed forward view is so nice. :)

That's all wanted to say I guess! Time to fly! :D

I can't wait for it to be on (mega)sales again. This week was my birthday and was hoping for at least a good 30% discount on it.

On next sale I will buy it for sure, and suffer the pain of multiplayer

| A-10C | MiG-21bis | Hawk T1.A | L-39 Albatros | F-5E | Ka-50 | Mi-8 | NTTR | CA | SU27 | M2000C | F-86F | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Mig 15 | Mig 19|

Specs

Intel i7-9700k

msi GTX 2060 Gaming Z

msi Z390 Gaming PLUS

16gb RAM

Hotas Warthog

One of the best Flight Models I've tried in DCS. If not the best one. The Su27 is a close second. IMO.

*disclaimer* I don't own ALL the modules yet, and this is my personal opinion.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

There's nothing to dislike about The Albert Ross.

It's beautiful crafted, inside and out.

It feels right.

For ground attack, it's a mini A-10/SU-25.

It feels fast, (if you go very low).

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Same here. I truly love that bird!

And I also own almost every module (all of them except for: Spit, Gazelle, C101 and the Hawk).

As you all said, the module is beautifully crafted, the flight model feels very close to reality (thought shared by actual L-39 pilots, iirc), the graphics are very well executed (that extra fake and dynamic reflection on the instruments glass is very welcome), and it's just a delight to fly.

…and there's no gloomy secret-defense matter all over it ;)

I also think the limited power, aerodynamics and instruments versatility help you understand how to fly efficiently, developing your skills.

Just don't engage a MiG-15Bis. You'll understand why it's been developed as a trainer.

Yes, there's no campaign, and yes, the training missions are not that deep, but, in my humble opinion, if you can afford it, just buy it (even at full price = more support for ED). Just be aware it's not a powerful fighter or an attack aircraft.

Shooting rockets in the ZA is still really fun though. Go for it!

Edited by Bourrinopathe
  • Like 1

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

It's a great little plane and a capable COIN platform as well, provided that you know what you're doing. The Mi-8 and the ZA are actually the only DCS AC I currently fly, because quality and craftmanship above all :)

Edited by msalama

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Looks like a good buy this weekend!

What navigation instruments are available? Any VOR/NDB?

RSBN/PRMG (similar to TACAN/ILS) and ADF. Impossible to get lost in Caucasus :D, a bit easier in Nevada, due to lack of beacons (no RSBN stations, only a few NDBs).

It's a great module, great fun to fly, I like it much more than I thought I would.

Even at discount, I already have the Hawk and C101 ... and purchased the Viggen just last month :(

... so I will rather save towards the F-18 or F-14 ... whichever comes first :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I'm not sure if the Hawk and C101 are comparable with L-39.

Yeah, from a module quality point of view, Albatross is way ahead of the other two.

Agree with this.

I meant that the three modules are basic trainer jets :)

... for me the C-101 was a no-brainer because its the only DCS aircraft that has ever been in use on my country's Air Force (see http://a36chile.blogspot.cl/)

... and the Hawk is the only british jet currently in DCS :)

Of course, given unlimited funds I'd purchase every module :D ... but right now, even at 50% discount, I'd rather save towards the Normandy Map, or the F-14 or the F-18.

Cheers!

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

for me the C-101 was a no-brainer because its the only DCS aircraft that has ever been in use on my country's Air Force

Cheers!

El F-5E fue utilizado por el ejercito de aire Chileana tambien.

^gotta maintain my already low level in spanish haha :D

Edited by tete4/Ywis

El F-5E fue utilizado por el ejercito de aire Chileana tambien.

^gotta maintain my already low level in spanish haha :D

true :) ... but back in January 2015, when I purchased the C101, it was amazing for me to be seated on a simulated replica of one of my country's aircrafts, even if it was just a trainer; so for an instant I forgot about the more recent F-5.

Of course, I also purchased the F-5 ... in fact I've every module except the L-39 :( ... hope my wife never found out about it.

Cheers and your spanish is quite good ... even tough it's spain which calls their Air Force an "ejercito del aire" (Air Army), in Chile we call it the "Fuerza Aerea" (Air Force) :D

You guys may feel guilty. You've made me to buy next module :pilotfly:Downloading L-39 at the moment :music_whistling:

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Good Buy!!

I have to admit that I'm really positively supprised by L-39. Thank you All that took their time to provie feedback about it in this thread :thumbup:. L-39 is a small, nimble plane that is just a pure joy to fly and really easy to operate. First module that I've managed to figure out just with a few quick glances to the manual. This is mostly however a complement to the great, intuitive cockpit design as also the fact that I've already invested a lot of time into studying MiG-15, MiG-21 (and even Mi-8 ) systems.

Obviously, L-39 is not a bomb or a missile truck. For pilots more interested in blowing up as much stuff as possible in one sortie the L-39 is probably not the best plane to be in. For all others that are more into aviation, appreciate possibility to practice VFR, IFR, improve accuracy of dumb weapons employment or just have a relaxing flight it's a great module. I should have also mention that it has the IFR hood – which totally blew me away and showed in a hard way that there is always a room for improving your skills.

I guess L-39 can be looked from two perspectives. First one - just forget for a moment that it's a two seater. Fly in on your own, take it for relaxing flight or use for practicing. I could imagine that getting the L-39 before MiG-15 and especially 21bis will allow to experience a great progression path, which just isn't possible by getting a single module (unfortunatelly I did that the other way arround).

On top of that the L-39 comes with a whole word of possibilities being able to fly with a friend. I guess it really took me getting a trainer to understand that but now, if a friend of mine would like to get into simulators and be actually interested also in aviation more than just only in a gaming aspect of DCS I would really recommend him getting the L-39 first to fly with him together in the same plane.

As for area where the module could be improved IMO there are two things. First one is the lack of campaign. Since historically the L-39 was developped as an high performance trainer for estern block countries it has a great potential for a campaign that would show real training procedures of an east block pilot. Just imagine how great it would be to participate in a story of a fresh student that has just joined an east block military flight academy and then undergo a real training program (obviously adjusted to DCS reality and possibilities). Such campaign for L-39 would also leave a room for other trainers like Hawk to show a western training process – keeping an incentive to invest time into another trainer. This leads to a second point which is the price. I've managed to get L-39 on sales for 30$ which I think was just about right. Normal price level at 60$ seems high and would be more adequate if the module would be shipped with mentioned campaign.

Edited by firmek
fixed typos

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

I just use it on buddyspike and open conflict server. Sometimes it is strangely rewarding to fly for so long using only NDB stations, and drop just a set of well aimed bombs

| A-10C | MiG-21bis | Hawk T1.A | L-39 Albatros | F-5E | Ka-50 | Mi-8 | NTTR | CA | SU27 | M2000C | F-86F | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Mig 15 | Mig 19|

Specs

Intel i7-9700k

msi GTX 2060 Gaming Z

msi Z390 Gaming PLUS

16gb RAM

Hotas Warthog