Cloud rotating and disappearing

Hello,

After updating to 1.5.6 stable enjoying the AJS37, I noticed that whenever I am trying to fly through a cloud, the cloud starts to rotate in a very jerky way when I come close to it, then it suddenly dissapears although I should be flying in it.

I did not noticed this behavior in previous version. I could go through clouds normally before 1.5.6.

Can anyone confirm this same behavior? Just try a fair weather with few cumulus clouds.

Best regards,

Pierre

• Like 1

Our squadron noticed this too immediately upon updating to release version 1.5.6. It can be seen that the 1.5.6 clouds have been changed some, each cloud is now taller than before. I often use heavy and thick clouds in my missions and this is quite nasty to look at when it happens often due to the sheer number of clouds in the sky. As you approach the clouds they begin to swirl and rotate, then turn into streaky lines, then vanish! If you look behind you at some distance the cloud will pop back into view. I was surprised no one was reporting this!

This is a nasty bug that has returned in 1.5.6 from a previous version awhile back. I've spoken to an ED representative and he says they know about this issue and are looking at it again. Maybe if enough users chime in here with their verification and say that this is an issue for them, Ed can bump it up to a higher level and get it fixed sooner? :thumbup:

Edited by Winston 60

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

Thanks razo+r, tried that once, they look great but too big a FPS hit on my older system. I can't wait until they optimize the code on the new clouds a bit more though. Maybe they're sneaking a bit of the new clouds in gradually as the ones in 1.5.6 differ oh so slightly from 1.5.5.

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

Why do clouds rotate with head movement. I get that they are sprites but why not rotate clouds based on aircraft position instead? Flyinside p3d has this as an option and it's waaaay better and has no impact on frame rates.

Check out my 'real world'

video series

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

when did you try it? I can turn them on now, not a big hit, didn't notice any hit at all

Last time I tried was a few months back. It's OK in a pleasure flight, maybe just cruising around solo or against just a few planes or targets, but in the heat of a large scale multiplayer session my FPS was down in the 20-30's from it's usual 50-60. My CPU is a 7 year old 1st gen intel i-7 and it's a bit slow compared to what most people run today.

go to DCS World/Config/Effects/Clouds.lua

open the lua and change the false to true

Does this break the server integrity check? (Can they be enabled for multiplayer play?)

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

• 2 weeks later...
I noticed that I can stop clouds from rotating by toggling my mirror off.

Nor for me, but thanks for the try.

Each day that passes without a patch for release version 1.5.6 makes me wonder how things like this get into the stable release in the first place? :doh:

• 3 weeks later...

Please can somebody using the open beta 1.5.6.3690 Update 1 check to see if this is fixed or not? There's no mention of it having been fixed in the change log.