Considering an Upgrade

Hi All,

I have been considering upgrading my system as I like to keep current, while my current system is nearly 2 years old I am not sure if I should upgrade or not.

One consideration i thought of, if i upgrade will DCS take advantage of the new kit.

I did a performance test the other night, just a quick mission with just a Viggen plonked down near Batumi.

CPU never got above 20%

GPU was stable at normal

I used to run the sim on my 4k 27" monitor with everything maxed out and using track IR

Since I bought the rift, even thought the detail isn't there, there is no substitute for the immersion factor of the rift IMHO.

Current System:

• Hazwell Intel 5820
  • Asus X99 MOBO
  • 32 GB DDR4 Ram
  • EVGA nVidia 1080

Upgrade:

• 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 7700K 4.2GHz Socket LGA1151 (Kaby Lake) Processor - Retail
  • ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX CODE Intel Z270 (Socket 1151) ATX Motherboard
  • G.SKILL F4-3000C15Q-32GTZR Trident Z RGB Series 32 GB (8 GB x 4) DDR4 3000 MHz PC4-24000 CL15 Dual Channel Memory Kit

I know my current system can handle anything i throw at it but with the advent of 2.5 i am not sure what to do. Do i upgrade now in preparation or just stay with my current system

FPS in the rift is normally a stable 45, although with the previous update East of Kobuleti near Senaki, it drops to 22 at some points, mainly around the runway.

any advice?

Cheers Specter

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

... Do i upgrade now in preparation or just stay with my current system

any advice?

In my opinion, upgrading hardware before really needing it, isnt a wise move ... since the hardware prices are continuously falling (for a given performance), you could get a more powerful system for the same money if you wait until actually needing it ... for example when DCS 2.5 appears.

Also, your current processor is a 6 core unit ... while the 7700K is a 4 core ... even tough the new one has 25% higher frequency I don't believe that the upgrade will be all that worthwhile

... for VR I'd rather spend the extra money on the graphics card, but you already have the most powerful you can get :D ... so, I'd wait until DCS 2.5 and then see if there is a better VGA at that time.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

In my opinion, upgrading hardware before really needing it, isnt a wise move ... since the hardware prices are continuously falling (for a given performance), you could get a more powerful system for the same money if you wait until actually needing it ... for example when DCS 2.5 appears.

Also, your current processor is a 6 core unit ... while the 7700K is a 4 core ... even tough the new one has 25% higher frequency I don't believe that the upgrade will be all that worthwhile

... for VR I'd rather spend the extra money on the graphics card, but you already have the most powerful you can get :D ... so, I'd wait until DCS 2.5 and then see if there is a better VGA at that time.

What he said!

Also keep in mind that DCS is for the most part a single threaded app (I know, I know it uses one thread for sound and one for the rest, but the point is that multi core is no advantage in DCS) SINGLE CORE performance is much more important so generally it makes more sense to buy I5 rather than I7 if all you are going to do is DCS.

You didn't mention the speed of your processor, but I suspect it is more than adequate with the rest of the specs..

I would wait for the following:

1> When you NEED to update

2> Wait and see what AMD has to offer with their next gen chips

3> Maybe wait to see what Intel responds back to AMD's chips and see if they get off their rears and start providing a serious jump in performance rather than the measly updates they have provided in the last few years since AMD wasn't competitive.

:thumbup:

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

thanks for the advice guys :)

Cib, Ill catch you on TS and we can discuss mate :)

Tired now and i have been investigating cases lol TO DEATH lol think i have found the one i love

https://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/cases/midtowercases/ph-es515etg_ag.html

Very nice :)

anyways thanks for the advice guys.

Just wish we had more info on 2.5, oh well :)

Cheers Specter

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

The Apex board is made for highest end OC with LN or LHe !

If you dont intend to do that you will waste money !

Half the money for that board is put into SUB-ZERO stability, short-proof, cold-bug fixing, etc..

Nothing of that is needed for Air or Water cooling.

I agree, the board looks awesome, broke all WR's there are by now afaik, but its way too limited ( 2 RAM slots only ) etc..

I would look into heavy OC of your 5820...those usually do 4.4 on water. No need to upgrade I guess.

BTW, Sweetspot according to Asus for DDR4 is 3600. You might want to consider that. Every CPU from 7th gen Asus states can do XMP3600.

* its also E-ATX...very wide..check your case before you get literally stuck

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

ehhh just saw that...you wanna buy a 4x8GB pack !!

your Apex only has TWO slots !!!!

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X