Object placement - altitude question.

ddavid

Ground objects can "stack" on top of one another. It is purely based on whether there is an object directly below it or not. It works for some buildings in the game also, but chances are once the unit moves it will "snap" back to ground level.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Thanks, Grimes - so, I can place a helipad (structure) on an existing building's flat roof, I guess? Which leads to the next question (!)...

Is there any way to 'see' where you've placed an object in game without actually flying the mission to that location? Like an object placer view in mission editor, or similar? This would help in setting the desired location and orientation of the new object.

Onwards and upwards, eh?!?

Cheers - Dai.

Thanks, Grimes - so, I can place a helipad (structure) on an existing building's flat roof, I guess? Which leads to the next question (!)...

Is there any way to 'see' where you've placed an object in game without actually flying the mission to that location? Like an object placer view in mission editor, or similar? This would help in setting the desired location and orientation of the new object.

Onwards and upwards, eh?!?

Cheers - Dai.

1st question: not sure. DCS can be very fussy about object placement and some times the physical models of things like buildings can intersect or do other weird stuff. I would imagine that if the roof is sufficiently larger than the helipad then yes, probably.

2nd question: there used to be a way of doing it that involved running 2 instances of the game, one in the editor with the mission running on the 2nd instance, but I think the most recent DCS world update broke it.

Nice to see another Welsh pilot on the forum :)

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Thanks for the image, Eight Ball (French Touch - nice mission) but did you need to re-locate the helipad object by trial and error or did it place correctly first time? That's why I asked about in-game placement viewing.

And thanks for your comments, DarkFire - be useful if the mission editor had this facility (Q2).

Cheers - Dai.

Thanks for the image, Eight Ball (French Touch - nice mission) but did you need to re-locate the helipad object by trial and error or did it place correctly first time? That's why I asked about in-game placement viewing.

And thanks for your comments, DarkFire - be useful if the mission editor had this facility (Q2).

Cheers - Dai.

Apparently that functionality is eventually coming. Not sure when, maybe with the 2.5 amalgamation (single DCS world game exe with selectable maps). It'll be super useful for mission design when we do get it.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

but did you need to re-locate the helipad object by trial and error or did it place correctly first time? That's why I asked about in-game placement viewing.

I'm not sure what you mean by "place correctly". There are no "slots" on roofs for static unit placement, the object will appear exactly where you've placed it in the editor.

• 8 months later...