Mi-8 video training

Dear helicopter pilots,

I'd like to introduce you to my first Mi-8 training video: "wide rectangle pattern". It's the first I have created so far and I'll be happy about any feedback. Would you like more of this kind? Any special topics on this type of helicopter?

"Wide rectangle pattern"

"Helicopter cyclic stick behaviour explained"

"Quick and efficient GNS430 moving map setup!"

Edit: New Video available. "Surviving engine failure, a comprehensive guide"

Greetings,

Viktor

Edited by Viktor_UHPK
  • Like 1

My cyclic stick - modded MS FFB2 and

My Mi-8 training videos

Damn, I can't get even a fraction of such flight smoothness with my recent stick extension. Time to train more, much more :D.

Some useful tips & tricks there, looking forward to next videos in the series.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Dear helicopter pilots,

I'd like to introduce you to my first Mi-8 training video: "wide rectangle pattern". It's the first I have created so far and I'll be happy about any feedback. Would you like more of this kind? Any special topics on this type of helicopter?

Hi and thanks for sharing your flight experience, I really liked your video; your english is clear and easy to understand (even tough I'm not a native english speaker). I also subscribed to your channel, so I can get an alert when you upload new videos

I also like that you refrain from adding background music, its much better to be able to hear the game sounds and your voice only.

What I would like for your next video, is for you to activate the flight control display overlay, so its easier for the viewer to see what are your actual control inputs :)

As for topics, I would love one about how to pickup and pick down sling cargo.

Cheers.

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Hallo guys and thank you for the kind words!

Smoothness on the flight controls of course is practice but to a great extend also depending on your hardware. In my opinion, the choppers in DCS are hard to fly without FFB / springless sticks.

Rudel, that's a great topic you have chosen. However I think I'm not proficient enough at that yet. I will look into it though. Your idea with the flight controls is great. I need to find a way to implement it but maintain a good "uncluttered" image.

Greetings,

Viktor

My Mi-8 training videos

Smoothness on the flight controls of course is practice but to a great extend also depending on your hardware.

That is so true ... I dont own rudder pedals, so I'm forced to use one of my throttle's thumb dials as rudder ... and it's hard to coordinate with what my hands are doing on the other controls (collective and stick) ... keyboard control is not an option since I would have to take one hand off the Hotas.

Your idea with the flight controls is great. I need to find a way to implement it but maintain a good "uncluttered" image.

Thanks for considering it .. I was referring to the DCS overlay that shows up with RCTL + Enter. I understand that its size and position can be customized editing the ControlsIndicator_page.lua file of the aircraft (but I've never done it, since I use the indicator on its default position and size).

Anyway, nice video ... looking forward to your next one :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 2 months later...

I would really like to see a video on how to use the autopilot and trim, as well as the relationship between them.

I have been watching various videos and reading the manual, but am still having a tough time flying the Mi-8.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Can you show the controls indicator in your videos? That way we can see the movement of the controls as you pass the different phases of flight.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

Thank you for the input, Looney. I've received that request earlier already and I've shown the controls indicator on one of my videos where I found it to be useful (cyclic stick explained).

Those inputs on the controls are so minimal though, I mostly don't see the sense behind it. Also, in different scenarios (different weight or atmospheric conditions) those inputs will differ quite a bit. The way you learn to fly is by the outside view, by the numbers and verbal instructions.

My instructor (former F-4 and Tornado pilot) used to say: "altitude, airspeed, heading, altitude, airspeed, heading, altitude, airspeed, heading. Why are we two feet low?". (and..."where are we, how long have I slept, when will I get something to eat?) :)

There are these moments, where an instructor would say: "I will fly. You keep your hands at the controls and try to get a feeling". But that is mostly to get your psychomotorics to memorize it.

So, again, thank you for the input. Once I do a video again, where controls are important I will include it. Else I prefer to keep the video simple and immersive.

My Mi-8 training videos

Having discussed the videos with friends, we're curious as what inputs are necessary for coordinated flight, hence the question.

"Kick the ball" will get hands and feet when the indicator shows what is happening, which control is acting when. Sure enough, cyclic inputs are minimal, it's the other stuff that's interesting :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo