T-38C Talon Jets

Santus

A small introduction for those who are unfamiliar with the aircraft:

The Northrop T-38 Talon is a two-seat, twin-engined supersonic jet trainer. It was the world's first supersonic trainer and is also the most produced. The T-38 remains in service as of 2017 in several air forces.

The United States Air Force (USAF) operates the most T-38s. In addition to training USAF pilots, the T-38 is used by NASA. The U.S. Naval Test Pilot School is the principal US Navy operator (other T-38s were previously used as USN aggressor aircraft until replaced by the similar Northrop F-5 Tiger II). Pilots of other NATO nations fly the T-38 in joint training programs with USAF pilots.

As of 2015, the T-38 has been in service for over 50 years with its original operator, the United States Air Force. Keep Reading if interested...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally I discovered about this aircraft when I found this request from il_corleone.

I was immediately intrigued from how much the aircraft resembles a two seater F-5 and saw it as an opportunity to further enrich the f-5's livery options.

Already you may find my first effort on this endeavor here.

1st March 2017 update: Part 2 is ready for download

19th March 2017 update: Part 3 is ready fordownload

The Talon's though, being so vastly used by the USAF as trainers in many different bases around the country, still have much to offer livery-wise. With the encouragement of ST0RM on the comments of my download, I decided to further my search, producing most if not all USAF Talon Liveries and make a part 2 download, this time not focusing so much on training squadron markings, rather than simply focusing on paint schemes.

Here is a taste of part 2 with some part 1 schemes included...

attachment.php?attachmentid=157955&stc=1&d=1488014584

Now part2 will be uploaded possibly some time next week once I have added two more schemes. An all Grey and a mostly White one.

When this is finished I will proceed my research for part 3 where I will include the following...

attachment.php?attachmentid=157956&stc=1&d=1488014977

and possibly a few non USAF ones from other operators such as Turkey and Portugal.

Anyone having insight or even better photos illustrating any of the part 3 Talons from below or above (These are the most rare to find contrary to side ones), would be of great help to me.

Last but not least, I would like to offer my appreciation and admiration to a fellow skinner who has already produced two very interesting Talon based liveries:

Thunderbird theme based on a T-38 Talon & Nasa Scheme by jamison19822

I would most definitely added them to my todo list, if he hadn't made such a good job on them already. Congrats!

Talon-Family.thumb.jpg.7d9223a1ecc876c0bf6ae0e5825522ff.jpg

talon-pt3.thumb.jpg.768732b801760c0520782fd1fe290511.jpg

Edited by Santus
  • Like 2

WOOOOOOOW!!!!!!!!:surprise:

Soooo many skins and at such a high level of quality man!!, helmet, parachute, external tanks...incredible!, ASTONISHING work mate!!!:clap_2:

Thanks a LOT!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup:

EDIT: I forgot to mention that what GeorgeLKMT said is true, the skins are very aliased, I tried saving one of them with mipmaps and look a lot better so maybe there is some way to make a batch process to save them with mipmaps automatically???

Edited by watermanpc

Take a look at my MODS here

Once again.

These skins are amazingly done.

But there are so many REAL and AMAZING skins for the F-5E which are just waiting to be done.

Just quickly two examples among probably an hundred of possible other skins for the Tiger:

https://postimg.org/image/8qamxd0oz/

https://postimg.org/image/5j2cvzyu3/

So, please, talented skinners, use your talents mainly on real aircrafts.

I forgot to mention that what GeorgeLKMT said is true, the skins are very aliased, I tried saving one of them with mipmaps and look a lot better so maybe there is some way to make a batch process to save them with mipmaps automatically???

I am not aware of a batch process unfortunately, but once I am finished with part 3 which I currently develop with mip maps, I will revisit the two previous parts to remedy the situation and reupload everything with mip maps. :thumbup:

Once again.

These skins are amazingly done.

But there are so many REAL and AMAZING skins for the F-5E which are just waiting to be done.

Just quickly two examples among probably an hundred of possible other skins for the Tiger:

https://postimg.org/image/8qamxd0oz/

https://postimg.org/image/5j2cvzyu3/

So, please, talented skinners, use your talents mainly on real aircrafts.

I can understand one's preference on historically accurate skins but personally I find fictional skins equally pleasing as long as they are of good quality.

Now as far as my F5 skins they are either historically accurate (Hellenic ones) or based on actual T-38s which may not be f-5s but look astonishingly like them!

Thank you for your suggestion, I will consider them even though I will most likely move to another aircraft after my current project since I have already made quite a few f-5 skins. :)

Here is a progress photo of part 3...

attachment.php?attachmentid=158571&stc=1&d=1488892232

Amazing skins!

It was pure coincidence but mate they are fantastic.

Love them.

Thank you very much:thumbup:

You are welcome, I am glad you liked them... :thumbup:

What was pure coincidence? Finding them?

Awesome skins Santus! Can you do a "Smurf Jet" AT-38B skin as seen in my post below?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2372450&postcount=222

Pretty please ... :D I had some good times in those jets!

attachment.php?attachmentid=158572&stc=1&d=1488892232

progress_2.thumb.jpg.41a5fb4bfac995c13fb1c5156d32e21a.jpg

smurf-wip.thumb.jpg.9ef10170c6fd0928b56969e595777568.jpg

Thank you very much for your kind words, suggestion and references.

The Portuguese and Turkish Talons will indeed be developed for part 3. :thumbup:

You deserve the kind words, your skins are truly amazing! Thanks for choosing them for part 3 :thumbup:.

riginally Posted by LcSummers viewpost.gif Amazing skins!

It was pure coincidence but mate they are fantastic.

Love them.

Thank you very much:thumbup:

You are welcome, I am glad you liked them... :thumbup:

What was pure coincidence? Finding them?

Yes, finding them.:thumbup:

Thanks alot:)