Regional pricing in steam

Hey ED!

I live in Turkey and the regional prices on steam for the modules were acceptable until a few months ago. Recently, there was a policy change in pricing.

When you compare US dollar to Turkish lira, the ratio had always felt like 1:1 in daily life. I'm not talking about the exchange rates. What i mean is, an American guy that is making 2500 "dollars" a month in an ordinary US town would live with the same standards of a Turkish guy that is making 2500 "liras" in an ordinary town of Turkey, considering how much food, rents, bills and etc cost in each countries.

So... When a new game comes out with a 60$ price tag in US, it is perfectly priced at 60 liras in Turkey too. But F-5e Tiger 2 is priced at a whooping 215,59 liras now. Gazelle is 178 liras. And i'm telling you these were 50-60 liras only a few months ago when i bought ka-50. now they are completely out of my paying range and instead of taking what i can offer, we both leave empty handed.

I'm not even sure if you guys have a say in steam prices, but i just wanted you guys to know that a simulation enthusiast at the other end of the world has a sad sad face looking at his steam shopping basket :cry:

• Like 1

What about the standalone (non-steam)?

In-game: Badger

I5-6600k @ 4.5 | MSI Z170A Krait | GTX 1070 G1 | 32Gb Ripjaw | Corsair H60 AIO | X-55 Rhino HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | Saitek Pro Pedals

A-10 Warthog: For the times when absolutely, positively everything must die.

A10C | F/A-18C | F-14B | M2000C | AJS37 | UH1 | FC3

Steam Shop - Steam prices.

It is like complaining to the farmer that a grocery in A street sells apples for tripple the price than the grocery on B street. :dunno:

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Maybe related to the issues with product keys sold through illegal channels/platforms? I don't know, just that usually the shop decides on the price on the product...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I'll ask again, are the prices to buy the non steam modules higher as well? If not, why not just convert to the standalone? It's very easy to do.....

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

In-game: Badger

I5-6600k @ 4.5 | MSI Z170A Krait | GTX 1070 G1 | 32Gb Ripjaw | Corsair H60 AIO | X-55 Rhino HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | Saitek Pro Pedals

A-10 Warthog: For the times when absolutely, positively everything must die.

A10C | F/A-18C | F-14B | M2000C | AJS37 | UH1 | FC3

I'll ask again, are the prices to buy the non steam modules higher as well? If not, why not just convert to the standalone? It's very easy to do.....

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

prices are almost the same. so it wouldnt make any difference on my end. but sure, if pricing goes on as it is right now and if i win the lottery i'd buy the modules on ed shop, so they'd keep the share that valve cuts.

hmm i should mention that lira-dollar exchange rate is at about 3.50=1 right now. so you might think it's not just paying 60 dollars for a module while people from other countries can get it for just 20. and that i shouldnt be ranting about it. but thanks to that pricing policy, steam had made a huge leap in the fight against piracy. people pay little, instead of paying none for those softwares. i myself have over 150 games on my account and that's 150 games more than i'd have bought if they didn't sell them in turkish currency.

just consider paying 215 dollars for the last module of DCS. would you still buy it? i wouldnt judge if you would. but i'll keep buying lottery tickets instead of those modules :)

Edited by Leviathanosaurus

We had the same threads from Brazilian DCS players shortly after F-5E release, when the Steam prices suddenly changed, blowing it out of affordable financial range of customers in Brazil. I don't think their situation has improved in last months, and I'm afraid it's going to stay the same for Turkish DCS friends as well.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

It probably has to do with people setting up a proxy and buying it for cheap in another country, which I can understand they want to stop. That's probably the way some websites sold keys way below normal us prices.

It probably has to do with people setting up a proxy and buying it for cheap in another country, which I can understand they want to stop. That's probably the way some websites sold keys way below normal us prices.

Sounds plausible. But if it comes at the cost of driving away legitimate customers, dunno, seems like a terrible choice to me. Then again, I'm not in charge of sales for ED. If I was, maybe I'd see it differently. Anyway, the community profits by including people from all over the world. It'd be a shame to lose (potential or active) members because of pricing policies.

ED's asking you to move to US and make money there j/k . This topic is quite sensitive here and I sense the lock is on the way just look at previous threads both here and on Steam. There's no way we can persuade ED to lower their prices, they have their own reasons one of them is some people exploited this policy to resell the key from steam which they bought it with low price and sold it again and that's violation of EULA.

Personally I just quit collecting modules and buy the only module I really like. I'd like the idea to support ED to buy a module even I don't really like it but with the current price policy that idea no longer affordable...

Cheers

Edited by Oceandar

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze