VR performance boost suggestions

Leviathanosaurus

Hello,

Even with powerfull rigs and lowest possible graphical settings, we are having performance issues while flying over urban areas with several burning trucks and tanks on the ground and a dozen of planes in the air while VR'ing.

So, to overcome this i'll suggest a smaller, less detailed map with least amount of objects possible just for the sake of VR players. That'd be great. And i might sound silly now, since i don't have any clue about game engines and how they handle cpu's, i keep reading that dcs engine uses a cpu core for sounds and another for everything else. Is it somehow possible to make the cpu's share the burden to prevent bottlenecks? i just don't want to lower the vr qualit below 2.0 on settings. it impossible to give up now that i had the taste once.

cheers.

The early adopter problem. Next year latest, we will see optimized VR-Hardware and drivers/software and PC-Hardware capable of delivering the performance needed.

By the way, you are aware there is an issue with the clouds rendering in 2.0 currently, which hits VR performance to the extreme?

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Wait for 2.5 and see what happens, so much getting changed and optimized with the still fairly new Edge engine. Take one look at the Normandy map and the images being released.

Have you flown over the very north west part of the Caucasus region? Now that's less detailed.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

What about all the other non-VR guys ? They might want good sized maps.

since it wouldnt have as much buildings, rivers, hills, roads and stuff as the existing maps do, i don't think it would consume too much of the developer's time.

otherwise i'm aware that majority of players dont have a rift and they simply want to see a beautiful scenary when they look down on the ground. that's what i would want too. but variety is the key to a happy community.

@David OC

yes thats exactly where i'm flying all of my fast missions. but i can't ramp start from those airfields. the mission creator gives an error. no idea why.

@Shagrat

never heard of that! am i supposed to go for 1.9 and less? thats a shame

Edited by Leviathanosaurus

Sorry. Here's what I can provide here:

My performance in general (VR/no VR) has been going down further and further since 1.5.6 OB (is worst in the Viggen but I understand that is an Early Access release and it will be fixed better in the future.)

I notice these problems really only in MP. I'm assuming that it could be netcode changes or issues that have come up recently.

Come join a passionate community of flight simmers everyday, live at

16hnv2f.png

PC Specs

Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.4GHz MSI Z170A Gaming M7

Corsair Vengeance LED 2666MHz 32GB DDR4

H115i 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler

EVGA GeForce 980Ti Hybrid (built-in liquid cooling)

EVGA SuperNova 750W 80+Gold

Samsung NVMe 950PRO M.2 SSD 512GBx2

But its not our PC Hardware. You can see my PC Specs and they exceed performance for any other VR Game I have tried. This problem is only with DCS World and has only gotten worse with 1.5.6 and newer Nevada releases. I did notice 2.0 clouds (and maybe 1.5.6 clouds?) having and causing other issues such as FPS harming in VR.

It is the still ongoing process of optimizing the special "display drivers" that come with a stereo scopic screen, rendering then, handling stereo refresh rates. Just see what ATW and ASW have achieved in terms of FPS and overall experience. As you may have noticed "other" VR Games do rarely replicate a real life open world environment with visibility up to 100 miles or more.

In fact most often they have specific "designed" environments that place objects and massive details convenient, to optimize performance in the level...

And then there is the optimization in the game engine for VR plus the need to optimize for specific hardware and SDKs.

Just have a look what Oculus themselves are "focusing" when they talk about optimizing a game.

https://developer3.oculus.com/documentation/pcsdk/latest/concepts/book-dg/

For the current state of VR as a emerging technology and the lack of optimized SDK for a Simulation engine and no support from VR vendors for non-premium titles, DCS World's performance and integration of VR is astonishing, for me...

I am aware it does seem different from a user perspective, but given the challenge behind it, it really is phenomenal. ;)

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

It is the still ongoing process of optimizing the special "display drivers" that come with a stereo scopic screen, rendering then, handling stereo refresh rates. Just see what ATW and ASW have achieved in terms of FPS and overall experience. As you may have noticed "other" VR Games do rarely replicate a real life open world environment with visibility up to 100 miles or more.

In fact most often they have specific "designed" environments that place objects and massive details convenient, to optimize performance in the level...

And then there is the optimization in the game engine for VR plus the need to optimize for specific hardware and SDKs.

Just have a look what Oculus themselves are "focusing" when they talk about optimizing a game.

https://developer3.oculus.com/documentation/pcsdk/latest/concepts/book-dg/

For the current state of VR as a emerging technology and the lack of optimized SDK for a Simulation engine and no support from VR vendors for non-premium titles, DCS World's performance and integration of VR is astonishing, for me...

I am aware it does seem different from a user perspective, but given the challenge behind it, it really is phenomenal. ;)

Its a challenge. I agree with what you are saying. Let me know if I can help at all. :)

16hnv2f.png

PC Specs

since it wouldnt have as much buildings, rivers, hills, roads and stuff as the existing maps do, i don't think it would consume too much of the developer's time.

otherwise i'm aware that majority of players dont have a rift and they simply want to see a beautiful scenary when they look down on the ground. that's what i would want too. but variety is the key to a happy community.

@David OC

yes thats exactly where i'm flying all of my fast missions. but i can't ramp start from those airfields. the mission creator gives an error. no idea why.

@Shagrat

never heard of that! am i supposed to go for 1.9 and less? thats a shame

No need, just set clouds to either 0 (clear sky) or 10 (overcast), that seems to work as a workaround for now.

Let's see what the next patch can do, I suspect it is a typical bug.

Shagrat

No need, just set clouds to either 0 (clear sky) or 10 (overcast), that seems to work as a workaround for now.

Let's see what the next patch can do, I suspect it is a typical bug.

That sounds awesome, is that in the graphics.lua? :)

16hnv2f.png

PC Specs

That sounds awesome, is that in the graphics.lua? :)

No, unfortunately in the mission editor, so you would need to adjust it in any mission by going to the mission editor, open the weather settings and set the clouds to either 0 or 10, you may be ok with setting 1 to 3 also, but 4 or higher hit the FPS very noticeable if you have this bug.

Two squad members had drops down to 8-17fps on average.

Shagrat

No, unfortunately in the mission editor, so you would need to adjust it in any mission by going to the mission editor, open the weather settings and set the clouds to either 0 or 10, you may be ok with setting 1 to 3 also, but 4 or higher hit the FPS very noticeable if you have this bug.

Two squad members had drops down to 8-17fps on average.

Roger that, thank you for the information. :)

16hnv2f.png

PC Specs

playing VR love it, even in single player though, big slow downs at the merge, multiple fox 2 and 3s. Does need improvements, still my favorite thing to do. If I had a billion dollars, I'd give you guys 10% to develop.

Have been flying low, just really loving the immersion, I built a flight chair and some simple analog controls, But I'm an artist, a calligrapher, a designer, and an aviation nerd, I've noticed inconsistencies, game reinterpretations, and even shit like floating trees and ground textures poorly angled that look like big mac vomit. Not criticism, just saying- give us all tools to mark areas and file bugs, within the GUI.

Another thing I'd recommend, and I'm glad this came up so I don't start a thread, in "HUD ONLY MODE" in VR, it is the stuff of dreams, but it would be cool if we could custom build a digital representation of our dials and gauges, it gives us the radar and the kneeboard, the later which you can toggle with the appropriate controls. But it would be nice to have the RWR, the ADI, the HSI, and whatever module we deem fit, up to a certain amount. Give us like 5 to 8 assigned "holes" in the HUD MODE ONLY to plug dials into.

Also, shameless, I ****ing Love this, and i cannot wait for the f14, f18- you'll have my money day 1. I hope it convinces you to ditch the ideals of the f16 bl52, make some changes and some phone calls, and make it the mitsubishi f2 viper of the Japanese aerospace defense force. Simply amazing plane on paper, and most of it is out there.

Be well.