Propeller disk too visible

Decibel dB

It pretty horrible, especially at distance... It is a dead giveaway that the aircraft in the distance is a spitfire.

The aircraft also shines more than the others however I don't expect these issues to be sorted in 1.5 given the arrival of Normandy 2.0/2.5 in the not too distance future (hopefully).

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Shouldn't this thread go in the bug section? Assuming that the devs feel that the propeller's high visibility is actually a bug and not working as intended?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Yes, it was brought up. By you, two days ago, as a matter of fact! :lol:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=183828

EDIT: Either that or the forum just regurgitated your original post.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi Eagle Dynamics,

I was wondering if this issue is ever going to be fixed? I had hoped that after beta ended for the Spitfire, we'd see this corrected. But the propeller blade animation is still quite unrealistic. The individual blades should not be visible that well when at normal inflight RPMs, what we see in the current version of the module is more like what you see on videos.

All other WWII modules are much more realistic in that regard. Can't you use the same prop disc animation for the Spitfire? Flying the Spitfire hurts my eyes. I very much hope that this is going to be made more realistic soon!

• 1 month later...

It does look fine on screenshots. However compared in-flight in cockpit view with the sim running, the difference is instantly visible. With the Spitfire the animation is perceived as a distraction, which is not the case in other modules like the P51. And it certainly isn't on a real aircraft. I simply wish that the ANIMATION would be done the same way as other modules, which are all realistic, only the Spitfire is not.

Again, as stated also by others in this thread: At RPMs other than idle it's simply impossible for the naked eye to make out the prop's individual blade rotation on the real aircraft. What we have in the Spit is therefore not realistic.

However it's perfect on other modules such as the Mustang, Messerschmitts, and Focke Wulfs...

It does look fine on screenshots. However compared in-flight in cockpit view with the sim running, the difference is instantly visible. With the Spitfire the animation is perceived as a distraction, which is not the case in other modules like the P51. And it certainly isn't on a real aircraft. I simply wish that the ANIMATION would be done the same way as other modules, which are all realistic, only the Spitfire is not.

Again, as stated also by others in this thread: At RPMs other than idle it's simply impossible for the naked eye to make out the prop's individual blade rotation on the real aircraft. What we have in the Spit is therefore not realistic.

However it's perfect on other modules such as the Mustang, Messerschmitts, and Focke Wulfs...

agree with you 100%. That is why almost all props have painted blade tips or special painted prop conse to be visible for ppl on the ground.

even screenshot provided by nineline which represents all warbirds from far, i can cleary see that spitfire prop is the most visible of all, i noticed it in MP games too

spit's prop from close is ok but as you got farther the texture changes in to something much darker and much less transparent

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• 3 months later...

It's especially visible in VR. There's something different about the Spitfire prop, how it's rendered or something. I think it's also what distorts the gunsight when motion smoothing is activated.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

It's especially visible in VR. There's something different about the Spitfire prop, how it's rendered or something. I think it's also what distorts the gunsight when motion smoothing is activated.

For sure, just no way to fly the Spit in VR with AWS on because the artifacts caused by the propeller. There are also artifact with other warbirds but not with the same magnitude.

i7 12700k, RTX 3080ti, 64GB RAM, M.2 512Go, Quest 2

For sure, just no way to fly the Spit in VR with AWS on because the artifacts caused by the propeller. There are also artifact with other warbirds but not with the same magnitude.

use to be a prop mod for the spit, which the spit and the A8 probaly needs. it basically made the prop effect low quality like the 109 and 51 is now so no asw artifacts. I usually just turn of asw with the rift when flying in the spit now.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2306815/

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

Thanks you for the info and the link. You are right the Anton has also the same behavior with AWS on.

I also use the Rift S with AWS disabled because the ghosting effect in genera. I prefer to reduce some graphical settings and have stable 80Hz.

i7 12700k, RTX 3080ti, 64GB RAM, M.2 512Go, Quest 2

• 6 months later...

I see that the issue reported originally is being merged with an issue concerning VR only. I don't fly VR in DCS at the moment so I can't comment on that.

However I would still love for ED to change the prop animation to something more realistic like it is done on the P-51 for example. I'm writing this after having seen preview videos of the P-47 which has the same issue unfortunately. So whoever is in charge of prop animation applies a different style these days compared to early WWII releases, but that new style I'm afraid is not realistic.

Again, in reality, prop blades fade into a DISC when above idle. What we see right now in the Spit or the P-47 is similar to a low-quality video recording with individual blades visible at high RPM. This is NOT realistic at all!

I really hope that ED can fix this, for the Spit and the upcoming P-47. They used to animate it so well back in the day of the P-51!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I just bought the Spitfire during the last sale and am using this VR Friendly Prop Mod by Mnemonic on the Spitfire. https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3310397/   I have not spent much time with the MOD or the plane but so far so good. 

Unfortunately Mnemonic has VR Friendly Prop Mods for the P-51 and P-47 but they are currently experiencing some minor missing textures in the latest Open Beta.   Fortunately the Default P-51 Prop is acceptable. 

Edited by YSIAD_RIP
  • Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, unfortunately ED made it hard to replace single file, as they are all packed into a zip that contains all aircraft textures. So while Mnemonic mods are great for those who want to get more realistic effects in VR, they quickly get obsolete when ED changes anything, even on unrelated texture items. 

You can manually copy prop texture files from Mnemonic mods into the new texture zip shipped with the game. They are usually all called prop-something and have a single modification date inside a zip file. But you have to repeat that with every update for every aircraft. Not fun. 

Currently I lost hope ED will do something about it. People have been complaining about that for years, and the devs are still shoehorning those prop/helicopter effects into the unreleased modules that are currently teased on the videos. 

• Like 2

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I will stay positive and hope that ED will "eventually" correct the props once the warbirds damage model is more close to finalized.  Maybe fixing too soon would just result in duplicate effort - timing is everything.   I HOPE!   - Another First World Problem for me.   Happy flying..  I feel sorry for the little YAK-52 it deservers a new update this Christmas too -  LoL!

• Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

• 3 weeks later...

Same here, it's really hard to understand why ED refuses to put realistic prop effects into their WW2 aircraft, even the latest releases are so far from reality, it's not funny anymore. Surely there are SOME people within ED who have sat inside real prop aircraft and therefore should know that individual propeller blades are NOT visible ever if above idle, and especially at mid- and high RPM settings.

I get that for the vast majority of customers what they see right now seems to be realistic, since most of them never flew a real prop aircraft. So they can only judge from videos. And since most YouTube videos are filmed with crappy camera equipment, that's what those show, individual blades visible everywhere. 

But ED should know better and do something realistic. While early WW2 releases were sort of OK, things got very bad when the Spitfire was released. And it continued that way for every subsequent WW2 release.

Oh well, at least with the upcoming Mosquito, we'll have a bit of a break as we won't have to target through the blades on that one!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks@NineLine.  Many of us are probably using the VR Friendly Prop Mod from Mnemonic

Maybe your graphics artists can save  time and use some of the files provided in these mods.