Toggle VR Zoom

Mud

Does anybody know here how to make that function really a toggle one?

I have mine bound to the paddle switch of my stick, but I have to hold it down to zoom. I'd rather have it set so that I press the paddle switch once and I stay zoomed in until I press the paddle switch again.

Any mapping guru's out there who know how to do this?

Mud

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

Why would you want to zoom in VR? Isn't everything of real dimension in the VR world?

Why would you want to use binoculars in real life? ;)

This is not even considering the resolution difference between your eyes and the Rift/Vive.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I'd rather have it set so that I press the paddle switch once and I stay zoomed in until I press the paddle switch again.

Hi Mud, unfortunately, lua scripting is not powerful to achieve exactly that. Only the devs can really do that.

The best one can do is to add two commands. One that zooms in and holds the zoom when you press e.g. the paddle switch once. But you need to assign another button on your HOTAS to turn the zoom off again. Or add a modifier to the paddle switch to turn the zoom off again.

I attached a JSGME ready mod, which adds two new commands "VR Zoom On" and "VR Zoom Off".

Edit: removed the mod, because a user reported problems after using it.

Edited by funkyfranky
removed mod file
  • Like 1

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Yeah, I kinda feared that would be the case.

Thanks for looking into it, funky!

• Like 1
Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

Like Astronut, I just mapped it to my EAC toggle on the Warthog throttle base, and I also have it mapped to my radio button (press). So I can do a bit of both. Just click the radio button for a quick zoom, or toggle it if I need to glance for a longer period. Works pretty well.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Like Astronut, I just mapped it to my EAC toggle on the Warthog throttle base, and I also have it mapped to my radio button (press). So I can do a bit of both. Just click the radio button for a quick zoom, or toggle it if I need to glance for a longer period. Works pretty well.

:thumbup:

Good idea, think I will do the same.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yeah...good idea indeed. Why didn't I think of that? LOL

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Can't you use the zoom in/out commands already available on the controls page?

No they become non functioning in VR, need to set in the UI layer.

How are the UI/VR controls different compared to the other commands?

They are global and not module specific

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I've tried the zoom feature, it seems there is a hold to zoom option for one button plus an on/off toggle button option which I think is optional and it turns off the zoom button so it can be used for other functions, I may be wrong, don't know for sure. It looks good looking closely at the gauges and it looks good looking out of the cockpit but I kinda feel it's a bit of a cheat. The eye moving forward option which I thought originally was the same as VR zoom is more realistic.

Does any one know if there is a way to control how much zoom is applied? I find the setting to be too much for me. Thanks.

I too feel as you do, I wish it could be discrete increments for looking at the gauges which are otherwise blurry. I'm sure there is a lua file that controls the range. I adjusted many parameters when using screens in this way. Once I have some time I'll look into it and post back if I find something.

Edited by fitness88

Hi Mud, unfortunately, lua scripting is not powerful to achieve exactly that. Only the devs can really do that.

The best one can do is to add two commands. One that zooms in and holds the zoom when you press e.g. the paddle switch once. But you need to assign another button on your HOTAS to turn the zoom off again. Or add a modifier to the paddle switch to turn the zoom off again.

I attached a JSGME ready mod, which adds two new commands "VR Zoom On" and "VR Zoom Off".

I used your UiLayer Mod.zip but it didn't add the on and off VR zoom in the UI control options.

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\UiLayer Mod\Config\Input\UiLayer\joystick

Edited by fitness88

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\UiLayer Mod\Config\Input\UiLayer\joystick

It has to go in the directory

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\Input\UiLayer\joystick

so that the original files are overwritten.

If you do not do it already, I recommend using JSGME or even better OvGME so that you can easily uninstall it before any update of DCS.

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

It has to go in the directory

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\Input\UiLayer\joystick

so that the original files are overwritten.

If you do not do it already, I recommend using JSGME or even better OvGME so that you can easily uninstall it before any update of DCS.

Thanks I see it needs the UiLayer Mod folder discarded from your configuration and then put the folder Config into JSGME.

I don't know, maybe I am the only one in my thinking on this. Certainly the topic of zooming in VR has a lot of interesting points.

Now for me, I guess the way I am looking at it is - VR is all about immersion. It is the most incredible immersion that I have gotten in a computer flying sim period. Way beyond what Track IR offered us all those years ago.

On a 2d monitor, zoom was absolutely necessary - as your view was rather limited, and the objects fairly small.

In VR however, everything is virtually life size. We are practically looking at the terrain/objects very similar to what those actual pilots did. Again, the immersion. Now I am pretty sure those pilots could not adjust their fov to magnify everything to where it was much closer for flying.

I personally feel ED has done a pretty good job with the VR zoom we have now. At least for me I am fairly happy with it. But a disclaimer - I currently fly Single Player only, and normally have my labels on. Perhaps if I flew in Multiplayer and/or labels off I might feel differently.

But I really like feeling like everything is so close to real, like I am really in that plane fighting with everything I have. Again I may be in the minority or even the only one on this line of thinking. I am so loving the realism flying in VR offers.

Don B

I don't know, maybe I am the only one in my thinking on this. Certainly the topic of zooming in VR has a lot of interesting points.

Now for me, I guess the way I am looking at it is - VR is all about immersion. It is the most incredible immersion that I have gotten in a computer flying sim period. Way beyond what Track IR offered us all those years ago.

On a 2d monitor, zoom was absolutely necessary - as your view was rather limited, and the objects fairly small.

In VR however, everything is virtually life size. We are practically looking at the terrain/objects very similar to what those actual pilots did. Again, the immersion. Now I am pretty sure those pilots could not adjust their fov to magnify everything to where it was much closer for flying.

I personally feel ED has done a pretty good job with the VR zoom we have now. At least for me I am fairly happy with it. But a disclaimer - I currently fly Single Player only, and normally have my labels on. Perhaps if I flew in Multiplayer and/or labels off I might feel differently.

But I really like feeling like everything is so close to real, like I am really in that plane fighting with everything I have. Again I may be in the minority or even the only one on this line of thinking. I am so loving the realism flying in VR offers.

And the name of the game...is have fun any way you can!pilotfly.gif

Has anyone figured out why VR zoom and re-center have disappeared off the UI options for some?

Have you tried the vibrancy adjustment?

Edited by fitness88

We are very handicapped compared to real life. Colors, textures, resolution and many more factors makes the visibility in vr much worse than the real life, vr zoom compensates a little bit. Also real life pilots (specifically A10) uses binoculars, while zoom is not a binocular, it is better than nothing.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Edit: removed the mod, because a user reported problems after using it.

Well good news and bad...as you know after I installed the on/off mod for the VR zoom the whole day I wasn't able to see all the commands in UI except the chat ones. I did a lot of lua checking to make sure I didn't mix up any of the files and I didn't, but some how on their own all the commands came back late tonight. I wish I could tell you what I did...

I want to try it again just to double check and make sure it was or wasn't related to your mod but probably won't.doh.gif

• 6 months later...

You can use the Camera controls, change forward as much as possible / wanted and save it as a snapview in the normal manner. If you the map a switch or button to the LWIN + NUMPAD ? you can snap in / out of whatever snapviews you set up. Sort of halfway house from the full zoom.

For those who use in-cockpit displays or need extra clarity on the gauges this can be handy, especially if you combine the forward position with a lower position... but the LWIN + NUMPAD? needs to be held for constant view.... so a latched toggle switch for long periods (i.e. boat switch on TMWH) or a momentary button for a quick peek...

Works for me, YMMV :)

SIGBLOCK.png