Rift / Vive Users Only Teamspeak and Server

OutLord

I've started playing DCS for the first time and absolutely love my Oculus Rift CV1 in this sim but really struggling to compete in the PvP environment against other players using normal computer screens with Track ir etc.

If you are interested in joining a small group of exclusively Rift and Vive VR headset users, I can offer a high end server for hosting as well as TeamSpeak for PvP style missions.

All players will be required to go through some hoops to verify they are legitimate VR users. One of the requirements might well be streaming through twitch at all times.

I don't expect a flood of interest but if we can get just a few guys keen on some player on player dogfighting on a level playing field I think it could be the start of something pretty special.

Please private message me if you think you might be interested

Its not that much of a disadvantage in fact once you are in the visual fight you actually have an advantage as its easy to point your lift vector and feel the angle off situation. I suggest getting used to aircraft with Radar to help with SA. The 16agr dynamic caucus server has no active weapons and is great if you want to do some A2A and often end up in a visual fight.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

• 2 weeks later...

Well... to say you aren't at a disadvantage in a PvP server using the Oculus or a Vive compared to a player using Track iR and a high resolution screen is utter BS. there's no other way to put it. (I tried to think of a diplomatic answer but gave up)

Anyone knows seeing the other guy first is 9/10ths of winning a fight. With my Track iR and my 2560/1600 resolution screen I can easily spot a Su27 or an F15 at 20 miles in clear skies. In the Oculus if you know exactly where to look you might see a smidge at 10 miles...just.

Anyone also knows lose sight lose the fight and keeping track of a target in a turning fight especially if they get below you in the Oculus is near impossible.

Not to mention the lack of 20x zoom and only being able to look at around 120 degrees as opposed to 240 or more with a Track iR.

One other major issue in the F15 at least with Oclulus is the scaling is way out. I reckon my perspective/ position is 1/3 bigger than real life which makes the mirrors useless.

Edited by OutLord

When pilots are creepin in the canyons looking for dots 20 miles away, Radar effectiveness is very limited. A pilot can flank, and just eyeball the target keeping it an their 3 or 9 until it gets close enough and then just move in for the kill out of radar fov. For an oculus user against a pilot who is using track ir and knows how to fully exploit these situations, there is no chance. If some players choose to take advantage of what I have to offer or not is their affair. Who are you to judge? Don't like it? don't get involved. But there might be a few pilots who like the idea of not having to resort to labels and would like to KNOW that every opponent has the same limitations as they do. I'm also a big fan of the WW2 and 50's era aircraft where the only radar is the eyeball and would be hosting Normandy maps more so than The Caucases and bvr.

Here is my opinion from another thread on that topic:

As far as people with monitors, it depends. You will definitely spot better with the rift than someone with small 20 inch screen where everything is tiny but harder than someone with 60inch 4k ultrwide and trackir.

But anyway trackir is far from beeing realistic, superzoom and not 1:1 headtracking is not less arcady than edited labels or any other gamey feature.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't agree that you're at a big disadvantage while in VR, at least in modern fighters I feel much more effective, and depending on my pixel density setting I'm able to locate and track targets much more easily while in VR than on my 4k monitor.

However, a VR only server could be fun and I'd probably hop on when I can. I don't have a twitch or even know how to stream to it though.

There are many things we didn't or don't know how to do when we play DCS. I don't think that stops us from trying however. What I am offering is a server for VR headset users only. Sometimes it may be necessary to verify that ll pilots on the server are using what they claim to be. Or at least be prepared to if so asked. Streaming through twitch if requested seems to me to be a fairly simple way to guarantee a level playing field and I'm open to alternative measures. It isn't hard to do and I'd be more than happy to explain how to set it up. If players want to take up this offer it is because they are looking for the same as I and to achieve that we would need to have some measures in place to prove authenticity.

Perhaps a mod would do the trick? If you were to install a mod that would send the required user attribute to the server then your server could in turn interrogate that parameter when a pilot joins.

Similar to the way that some servers check supported versions and such. Simply asking your guest pilots to install a VR verification mod might be enough... then code the appropriate lua file (if there is one) to send the fact that a pilot was using VR to the host server.

The idea of needing to verify via twitch would likely work, but the effort from the pilots and administrators would likely deter anyone from joining.

-Cru