Captoglove

BIGNEWY

HOTAS plus touch for interaction since he said that he flies with the touch on his lap. I can't imagine anyone flying without a physical joystick anytime soon.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some day may be we will have some good hand/finger tracking with something small enough to not have to grab it. Now for me mouse and some physical switches button boxes which I can find by muscle memory, peaking and touching is faster and more convenient then going for the touches back and fort.

Ok so you have to make that awkward transition from HOTAS to Touch controller when in flight but on the ground it probably kinda works. Its a pity you can't tape it to your arms somehow even without the haptic response just to have some notion hand gesture and interaction.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok so you have to make that awkward transition from HOTAS to Touch controller when in flight but on the ground it probably kinda works. Its a pity you can't tape it to your arms somehow even without the haptic response just to have some notion hand gesture and interaction.

Yes. That is the problem. That is why I'm expecting some standardization with this VR controllers. Right now only Touch working but not Vive or any other SteamVR standard controller. The steamVr controller standard will make all these gloves or hand tracking devices work as simple VR controllers as default.

That way ED will minimize work on hands usage in the cockpit.

I don't know why ED is complicating this issue when should be simple. For decent and intuitive natural hands interaction we just need two things.

6DoF hands tracking and just one interaction button which will allow interacting with buttons or switches in cockpit. Just simple hold/push release function. Is it that complicated?

Prove of a concept is in a third party mod called Virtual Button Box.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=218484

Check this thread and join to discussing. My intention is not forceLeapmotion, just an opposite. This mode should be usable with any other controller even Captoglove or any other glove hand tracking in combination with this mode.

This should help VRgloves and ED developers to see what DCS users need.

So this is an invitation to all interested sides to reach a mutual goal, natural intuitive hands usage.

You don't need 6DoF, 2DoF is enough to simulate the mouse:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=218861

We don't want to simulate the mouse, the point is to use your hands inside the cockpit as you are in one. Yes, it is virtual but for the user who is immersed, it is real. So you want to use your hands as much as really possible.

Otherwise, we don't need anything than the mouse itself. Or head tracking pointer as mouse reference but this is breaking immersion and put you back in reality.

What is the point to have VRgloves to use it as the mouse?

We don't talk about mouse here. FO with a mouse.

well, it is an intermediate step for one.

Second I don't know if a 1:1 hand position for a cockpit would work with my setup. I have my stick and throttle attached to my desk with some mounts, but they aren't in the position that they are in the aircraft, and each aircraft is different.

If we need to have 1:1 hand position in the cockpit I imagine I will bashing my hands off of my desk and where my throttle is, etc getting in the way. This would be an issue with a lot of people.

For me a 2D pointer like how the touch controllers work now would be perfect. Just without the limitation of needing to pick up a controller or grab my mouse. Just raise my hand, point at the control and conduct the finger motion to represent right or left click.

Edited by DayGlow

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

We don't want to simulate the mouse, the point is to use your hands inside the cockpit as you are in one. Yes, it is virtual but for the user who is immersed, it is real. So you want to use your hands as much as really possible.

Otherwise, we don't need anything than the mouse itself. Or head tracking pointer as mouse reference but this is breaking immersion and put you back in reality.

What is the point to have VRgloves to use it as the mouse?

We don't talk about mouse here. FO with a mouse.

LOL. That was pretty funny, the last sentence. :D

I totally understand the enthusiasm and the need for such a 6DOF device. But for many, it's probably impractical as we don't have dedicated space that maps to a real cockpit. So as an interim, something like this New VR Pointing Device may be what's needed.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Is this thread about using hands inside a cockpit with Captoglove?

I think buying Captoglove for 500$ to use it just as a mouse is a nonsense.

So if we are talking about full immersion here one of the first thing and easiest one almost free is to aligning your hotas with the stick inside your virtual cockpit in game.

If you using it on the table it is nothing wrong with it but it is breaking immersion and you are aware of it. For finding something else to use it instead of the mouse just simple EDtracker will be good for it.

Map EDtracker as a virtual joystick and add on your hotas two buttons for left and right mouse button and that's it. you have this for just a few $. You don't need 500$ Captoglove for VR 2D mouse.

Your demand for immersion are minimal and easy solved, just use some imagination and combine already existing and proven workable methods.

And that's it.

No hard feelings, but here most of us want some more immersive solutions.

Is this thread about using hands inside a cockpit with Captoglove?

I think buying Captoglove for 500$ to use it just as a mouse is a nonsense.

So if we are talking about full immersion here one of the first thing and easiest one almost free is to aligning your hotas with the stick inside your virtual cockpit in game.

If you using it on the table it is nothing wrong with it but it is breaking immersion and you are aware of it. For finding something else to use it instead of the mouse just simple EDtracker will be good for it.

Map EDtracker as a virtual joystick and add on your hotas two buttons for left and right mouse button and that's it. you have this for just a few $. You don't need 500$ Captoglove for VR 2D mouse.

Your demand for immersion are minimal and easy solved, just use some imagination and combine already existing and proven workable methods.

And that's it.

No hard feelings, but here most of us want some more immersive solutions.

Don't get me wrong, I would love it as well. I'm just saying for others, the 2D approach would be a viable option. If DCS implements Captoglove, I'd pull the trigger.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Don't get me wrong, I would love it as well. I'm just saying for others, the 2D approach would be a viable option. If DCS implements Captoglove, I'd pull the trigger.

No, I don't get you wrong but 2D option is functional, generally speaking.

So put our focus out of it now. And don't expect CG implementation will do some miraculous. Simply CG needs some improvements and I called them to join here in this our efforts.

I'm highly critical but my critics are a constructive one, in the way to make things better in the way CG and ED could benefit as well but anybody else too. Only if that is the problem for them.

I made the point here, post some solutions and direction how this could and should work so I'm appealing on ED, CG and any other interested sides to join and help us end users of their software or hardware. The solution is actually simple and durable so please respect those who buy your products and do something for your customer's pleas.

Simply CG needs some improvements and I called them to join here in this our efforts.

Simply it may be not worth it.

How many people are going to have them? They are more expensive then VR headsets at the moment.

Then there are implementation issues, the gloves don't have haptic feedback so it will be difficult to tell when your finger is close to the button, when it touch it and when press it. It may be necessary to highlight the switches for example. Then there are some obstructed switches, like parking brake lever in Harrier. And so on.

All of those little issues must be resolved and then supported by ED. And we all know they are a bit short on resources.

?

Simply it may be not worth it.

How many people are going to have them? They are more expensive then VR headsets at the moment.

Then there are implementation issues, the gloves don't have haptic feedback so it will be difficult to tell when your finger is close to the button, when it touch it and when press it. It may be necessary to highlight the switches for example. Then there are some obstructed switches, like parking brake lever in Harrier. And so on.

All of those little issues must be resolved and then supported by ED. And we all know they are a bit short on resources.

I don't know did you properly follow what I'm talking about? Did you check the link on other thread with an example it is posible.

I'm talking in general not just CG. Yes, you are right I'm expecting from such device for 500$ to have haptic feedback in fingers. But for functionalities is not necessary.

If you read that other thread and watch videos you got a visual highlight on switches so you will know when you can interact with it and how. Get more familiar with this and than try to join in the further discussion.

That what I'm suggesting is not 100% real but is the best as possible get and for the lowest cost possible. So will be for everyone's budget. And if you can afford 500$ for physical sense in fingers let it be. But then this 500$ has its purpose and sense even if the price is that high. But those who can't afford it will have less priced but less realistic alternative.

Right now we don't have anything and CG is a just expensive dust collector.

Don't forget Oculus has been researching Gloves with Haptic Feedback as well.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/oculus-vr-gloves-patents/

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

And they are not the only ones. I'm sure ED is looking at this with interest and thinking about best ways to implement the technology with DCS. But this is a future, so demands like this:

DCS is a hi-end simulation with the even higher price but unfortunately without finish quality expected under this price range.

ED wake up and give us what you charging us. Our dedication is deserving that.

are really inappropriate. We have to wait for something practical and affordable.

I wish I could. Figure out. How to use it I have connected to Bluetooth, scan and found it, set it to mouse mode and it’s dead. In. The water.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

And they are not the only ones. I'm sure ED is looking at this with interest and thinking about best ways to implement the technology with DCS. But this is a future, so demands like this:

are really inappropriate. We have to wait for something practical and affordable.

You are right they are not only one.

But should we wait passively or actively?

I'm trying to be constructive here, even with all my critics always made some point and even, in this case, show that this goal is achievable with little effort.

So I'm expecting from you to join me and support not oppose here. We are customers here so we are that one who should have a request, not an opposite.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Knowing that Oculus has decided not to continue to develop a 2nd generation headset, I would be very reluctant to throw more money at them. I feel buying their system was a waste of time and money after the recent announcement.

I did read that Oculus have since put out a disclaimer to the statement about no Rift2

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.