Captoglove

BIGNEWY

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried to get them to work again but they just don't cooperate. Losing confidence in my backing. Just don't feel like they were ready for release.
Sad to hear that.

Maybe you told us already, then sorry to ask you again: do you also have a CaptoSensor?

So, are the Capto sensors required for DCS?
For a functionality like you and me want, the answer is probably YES.

If you want a real cockpit feel and move your hand(s) towards a switch that you see in your virtual cockpit, then the glove must be tracked with all 6 DoF (like your head). Leap Motion does so by default and any "virtual hands" based on Vive controllers or Oculus' Touch do so (implemented in Aerofly FS2). But as far as I understand, only the "optional" CaptoSensor will provide ALL needed degrees of freedom.

However I'm still waiting for an answer from Captoglove to clarify this. I also assume you'll need TWO CaptoSensors for a pair of gloves...

Could someone from DCS explain what is implemented now for Captoglove? I see the option to enable it and arm bending, but what does that do?

At this point the only thing I can do is point the curser with my rift and bend my finger to click a button. Pretty lame. My oculus touch controller does alot more than that today. How do we get it to show hands like in your video? Or is that not implemented yet?

Sad to hear that.

Maybe you told us already, then sorry to ask you again: do you also have a CaptoSensor?

Yes, the captogloves have the Captosensor in them.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

After going on the capto glove website, my understanding is that the capto sensors are supposed to be used for other parts of the body but the hands. It is basically a capto glove without the glove. They were giving the example of having your arm or your legs tracked, you can just strap a capto sensor on it. So the capto gloves should have this sensor build in. Which makes sense when you think about it. That is all what those gloves are about.

After going on the capto glove website, my understanding is that the capto sensors are supposed to be used for other parts of the body but the hands. It is basically a capto glove without the glove. They were giving the example of having your arm or your legs tracked, you can just strap a capto sensor on it. So the capto gloves should have this sensor build in. Which makes sense when you think about it. That is all what those gloves are about.
Mmhh, you might be right. In this review/announcement of new 6DoF controllers for standalone VR HMDs there's a picture of a lady wearing armbands and the comment says:
A pair of FinchTracker armbands come along with the kit, providing additional points of tracking data.
Sad fact is, the Captoglove currently do not (yet) work as we would wish for cockpit interaction...:(

So I have the CaptoGlove since Tuesday now and I just wanna give it a little review here:

So first of all the quality overall of the glove is good, comfy to wear in my opinion, but smells a little bit after unboxing it.

Then there's the software. God I never had such a bad experience with any software... I mean even the X-55 Saitek software is better than this. First of all there's a little note in the box which will go through all the steps of pairing the glove with your PC. Worked all fine, until the moment came i had to assign the axes and calibrate the finger bendings/pressures. I tried all my best but the bendings didn't want to calibrate at all. It took me 2 hours to realize that i had downloaded the first version of the CaptoGlove-Software and this was the only Software download link on the download section on their website. You can find the updates for the firmware and software in forum sections of the community... They don't even have the updates linked on their download section page.

After successfully upgrading the Firmware and Software, I finally was able to calibrate the fingers and assign the keys. I was able to controll my desktop with the glove very good, but unfortunately with stuttering of the mouse.

So the next day I wanted to try it with DCS, but unfortunately the glove had problems with connecting to my bluetooth. So I searched the forums and found one solution which didn't help at all. After again 2 hours of struggling with it I finally fixed it (I don't know how I fixed it), started the software and loaded the profile I saved the day before. Then I had to assign the axes again because they somehow didn't save and yes, this is a problem that happens everytime to me when I try to load a profile. After successfully assigning the axes I realized that my x axis moved slightly to the right or left everytime I don't move my hand. This can happen randomly, sometimes it will do nothing, sometimes it will move slightly.

Then I finally wanted to try DCS.

I first tried it without VR: Switching the buttons is very cool if you have a steady hand, because as mentioned the cursor struggles a bit. The Finger bendings and assignments all worked out very well so + point there.

Then I wanted to try it with VR: After starting DCS the glove disconnected and connected over and over again, I was not able to use it at all. The worst thing about that is when it loses connection and you close the software and turning off and back on the glove, the glove will work even though the software is closed, which is bad because when i open the software and try to pair it, it says that i cannot pair them which means i cannot turn off the profile, so this is an annoying bug. After playing around for 1 hour without even switching one switch I gave up and turned the glove off. (I haven't tried the "imaginary joystick" thing since I have a HOTAS system).

Well sorry that this post is a bit longer but I wanted to share every detail I issued with this product. So in my opinion it is overall a good idea, but I wouldn't recommend it for playing DCS, or any other games since the stuttering makes it hard to be precise. As mentioned the software is only something for people who can be patient, it's really annoying to set it all up. Maybe it will be better with future updates, or maybe there will be a better product, but for now I'm only using this as a wireless mouse for chilling on the sofa and clicking through youtube videos and listening to music.

Well sorry that this post is a bit longer
Don't worry, worth every word, thanks!:notworthy:

So the Captogloves do actually use 6 DoF, you could move your virtual hands completely freely in the cockpit? Did you try moving something besides or slightly underneath your seat, gear, flaps or a trim wheel? Or high above, like moving the Spitfire's canopy back and forth?

Did you play with the Captoglove arm bending slider in DCS' settings? Did you notice any difference?

1423249329_DCSoptionswithCaptoGlove.thumb.PNG.67ef69e66c36c3d165a2f72c950269d5.PNG

Thanks for the review.

I really hoped the software would be in a better shape by now.

I sent them a mail two or three months ago asking info about the gloves and interaction with dcs and they said they were quite close to a working solution but not yet at that time.

Well it looks like “not yet even at this time”

@FMG JoJo will you let them know about your findings and problems?

It might be helpful for them to have some feedback

I believe they are trying really hard but this thing is not easy...

For a functionality like you and me want, the answer is probably YES.

If you want a real cockpit feel and move your hand(s) towards a switch that you see in your virtual cockpit, then the glove must be tracked with all 6 DoF (like your head). Leap Motion does so by default and any "virtual hands" based on Vive controllers or Oculus' Touch do so (implemented in Aerofly FS2). But as far as I understand, only the "optional" CaptoSensor will provide ALL needed degrees of freedom.

However I'm still waiting for an answer from Captoglove to clarify this. I also assume you'll need TWO CaptoSensors for a pair of gloves...

I do not get the whole thing actually, I got the Oculus Controllers and they are nice and all that, but most of the time I want to have my hand on joystick and can not really let them dangle from the wrist-straps or something - so they are stowed. I defenately do not want to try using them as HOTAS (which option was sort of hinted by ED) - for that I want to a solid piece of joystick with proper sensors in my hand, I do not think the optical measurement will come anywhere near the HALs in accuracy.

Glove would be nice, but maybe I would like to switch it off at the moment I grab the stick. I would be happy with one single finger tracking as well (well maybe two - for left and right mouse clicks :)).

Don't worry, worth every word, thanks!:notworthy:

So the Captogloves do actually use 6 DoF, you could move your virtual hands completely freely in the cockpit? Did you try moving something besides or slightly underneath your seat, gear, flaps or a trim wheel? Or high above, like moving the Spitfire's canopy back and forth?

Did you play with the Captoglove arm bending slider in DCS' settings? Did you notice any difference?

I only was able to use it as the normal Mouse cross in non-VR, since the glove always disconnected from the software in VR, so I'm not sure if it has 6 DoF, I can try to give it another shot tomorrow :thumbup:. But I dont think that it has 6 DoF without the sensor, I guess you can only move your hand to the left/right, up/down and roll the glove like in this video:

So i don't think moving your hand forward/backward would be possible without the sensor, but as mentioned will give it another shot tomorrow.

Thanks for the review.

I really hoped the software would be in a better shape by now.

I sent them a mail two or three months ago asking info about the gloves and interaction with dcs and they said they were quite close to a working solution but not yet at that time.

Well it looks like “not yet even at this time”

@FMG JoJo will you let them know about your findings and problems?

It might be helpful for them to have some feedback

I believe they are trying really hard but this thing is not easy...

Yeah I'll definetly send them my problems. I think the main problem is that it is only usable with bluetooth. If we would have a USB-connection it would be much smoother without any stuttering, or maybe the captosensor solves the stuttering, but I don't really know I'm not an expert. And also they should make a more detailed description for setting everything up and always put the newest software updates on their download page. What problems did you encounter?

Yeah I'll definetly send them my problems. I think the main problem is that it is only usable with bluetooth. If we would have a USB-connection it would be much smoother without any stuttering, or maybe the captosensor solves the stuttering, but I don't really know I'm not an expert. And also they should make a more detailed description for setting everything up and always put the newest software updates on their download page. What problems did you encounter?

I don't have the gloves yet.

When I sent them the mail it was to ask if they were working with Dcs or not and they said they where close to a working solution.

I was considering buying them but I decided to wait until sure that they were actually working

So I have the CaptoGlove since Tuesday now and I just wanna give it a little review here:

So first of all the quality overall of the glove is good, comfy to wear in my opinion, but smells a little bit after unboxing it.

Then there's the software. God I never had such a bad experience with any software... I mean even the X-55 Saitek software is better than this. First of all there's a little note in the box which will go through all the steps of pairing the glove with your PC. Worked all fine, until the moment came i had to assign the axes and calibrate the finger bendings/pressures. I tried all my best but the bendings didn't want to calibrate at all. It took me 2 hours to realize that i had downloaded the first version of the CaptoGlove-Software and this was the only Software download link on the download section on their website. You can find the updates for the firmware and software in forum sections of the community... They don't even have the updates linked on their download section page.

After successfully upgrading the Firmware and Software, I finally was able to calibrate the fingers and assign the keys. I was able to controll my desktop with the glove very good, but unfortunately with stuttering of the mouse.

So the next day I wanted to try it with DCS, but unfortunately the glove had problems with connecting to my bluetooth. So I searched the forums and found one solution which didn't help at all. After again 2 hours of struggling with it I finally fixed it (I don't know how I fixed it), started the software and loaded the profile I saved the day before. Then I had to assign the axes again because they somehow didn't save and yes, this is a problem that happens everytime to me when I try to load a profile. After successfully assigning the axes I realized that my x axis moved slightly to the right or left everytime I don't move my hand. This can happen randomly, sometimes it will do nothing, sometimes it will move slightly.

Then I finally wanted to try DCS.

I first tried it without VR: Switching the buttons is very cool if you have a steady hand, because as mentioned the cursor struggles a bit. The Finger bendings and assignments all worked out very well so + point there.

Then I wanted to try it with VR: After starting DCS the glove disconnected and connected over and over again, I was not able to use it at all. The worst thing about that is when it loses connection and you close the software and turning off and back on the glove, the glove will work even though the software is closed, which is bad because when i open the software and try to pair it, it says that i cannot pair them which means i cannot turn off the profile, so this is an annoying bug. After playing around for 1 hour without even switching one switch I gave up and turned the glove off. (I haven't tried the "imaginary joystick" thing since I have a HOTAS system).

Well sorry that this post is a bit longer but I wanted to share every detail I issued with this product. So in my opinion it is overall a good idea, but I wouldn't recommend it for playing DCS, or any other games since the stuttering makes it hard to be precise. As mentioned the software is only something for people who can be patient, it's really annoying to set it all up. Maybe it will be better with future updates, or maybe there will be a better product, but for now I'm only using this as a wireless mouse for chilling on the sofa and clicking through youtube videos and listening to music.

I really appreciate this review. I'm going to wait on Captoglove until the folks there make the necessary enhancements to make it realistic for DCS. I'd like to see :

1. Haptic feeling. Actually feel the switch flip after flipping or pushing it in or out.

2. Be able to turn knobs by pinching the knob between thumb and index finger ( as in real life ).

3. VR hands to appear with fingertip cutouts.

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X

Reverb Pro HMD

HOTAS: TM Warthog throttle / TM F18 Grip

Dual H640P Huion tablets used with VRK (Virtual Kneeboard ) software

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

DOF Reality P6, 6 axis Motion Platform

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It took me 2 hours to realize that i had downloaded the first version of the CaptoGlove-Software and this was the only Software download link on the download section on their website. You can find the updates for the firmware and software in forum sections of the community... They don't even have the updates linked on their download section page.

That is something I found very irritating already a couple of month ago! On the forum they said to me, they will update the download link "soon". Again, that was about half a year ago. I don't understand why they still have the old version online, which most new users will use first until they realize they need to go to the forum and ask for a version that actually works.

They are very helpful on the forum, that must also be said. I did get very prompt replies to all my questions.

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Ok guys I have contacted CaptoGlove and here's what I got from them:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.: In my opinion it's not good enough explained how to set up the bindings and calibrate the bendings. The little note in the case of course is helpful to getting started but you should go much more in detail. For an example: "Make sure you download the latest version of the software and firmware", which brings us to my next point.

A: Do you refer to the manual or some other resource?

2.: You should put up more download links for the software and firmware updates in the download section. Most of the PC-users are used to always download the latest versions of softwares/games/..., and playing around with the first version of the software was a real nightmare for myself. I had many issues to calibrate the bendings, but the newest software and firmware fixed it all.

A: Thanks. We wanted to make an official release of a better version of the firmware we are developing, but we will consider publishing the one we already have.

3.: I don't know if it's possible but maybe integrate a cable use for the glove. I know that it is very cool to use wirelessly, but with a cable connection, I think you would fix many problems, like stuttering (which I encountered always using the glove) and also delay, a wireless mouse always has a bit of delay, that's why pro-gamers in E-sports always use cable mouses. BUT I'm also not an expert in such level of technology I just imagine that it could be a better experience and bring a better precise movement to the glove.

A: That's something we have thought about and are evaluating.

4.: I sometimes had the issue that my x-axis (horizontal axis) is moving slightly to the left or right when I didn't move my hand. I don't know what's causing this problem.

A: When you experience such an issue, please put your CaptoGlove on your table (wear it off) and click on the "tare" button. It will calibrate it and adjust the sensor values.

5.: Randomly disconnecting from the computer and re-pairing it again with bluetooth is very hard to fix. Happend to me one time and I don't know how i fixed this problem. I also saw a tutorial on how to fix it on the forums, but that didn't help me out. (Another reason why cable-connection could be better).

A: Thanks we will look into it

6.: Everytime I'm loading a profile I have to assign the axis again, but if i just upoad the setup I used the last time using the glove (the green box in the software) it worked just fine.

A: Once you have configured your CaptoGlove the configuration is saved on it and you don't need to load it again.

7.: The one time I wanted to test it in DCS World it always disconnected and connected again from the GSuite software, so I wasn't able to try it out. In non-VR however it worked fine for me, I was able to switch all the switches like using a real mouse, with the mouse cross, I didn't saw any moving hands like in this video:

, but I think that this is only possible in VR, isn't it?

A: Yes exactly, that is something we are developing with ED and is available for DCS beta testers to try

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Already answered to their mail, gonna update you guys as soon as they're responding to my mail

I went through all the issues that FMG did above. It just doesn't work with the software on their website, but did basics with the new software and firmware they emailed me. Seems like Business 101 that you would then put those on your website. Its like there is no business person running this company, just engineers.

+1 on company responding to emails quickly, very impressed. -1 on the gloves functionality. It is useless in DCS VR now. I am keeping them since DCS seems to be working on making them work, we will see.

One thing on bluetooth, I found if I use my boards built in LE Bluetooth, it does poorly. I disabled that and put in a bluetooth USB that was not LE (low energy) and it worked much better. I have not been able to turn off the LE part of my boards builtin bluetooth, the power tab does not address it.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
anyone have any updates on the gloves up to this point? are they good enoff to use yet? I want to buy the gloves but have 0 confidence on buying it without seeing any news on it.

I also would like to see some news about DCS and the gloves.

• 4 weeks later...