re-understanding control settings>controls tab using VR

fitness88

When I used to use my screens before having VR, I was able to access all the available commands through my J-stick and/or mouse.

Now using VR there are many commands that don't work in VR and I wanted to know if there is a revised commands sheet available to the VR community?

Also what is the UI page and VR page as I never used them before, I can't seem to get any of the commands to work.

Thank you.

The UI page allows one to assign VR Zoom and re-center to joystick buttons.

Note when assigning them I have noticed sometimes they don't take effect until a restart of DCS.

I have not noticed any of my other assigned commands not working in VR... except for regular zoom.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The UI page allows one to assign VR Zoom and re-center to joystick buttons.

Note when assigning them I have noticed sometimes they don't take effect until a restart of DCS.

I have not noticed any of my other assigned commands not working in VR... except for regular zoom.

Isn't numpad 5 for re-centering the default view?

Interesting it was working well in VR until I implemented:

RCTRL + RSHFT + KP4,2,6,8 = Moves your eyepoint L,D,R,U respectively

RCTRL + RSHFT + KP*, KPMinus = Moves your eyepoint fore and aft

Now I can no longer use it, it just stopped functioning.

Using UI from the drop down list allows the use of some VR specific commands but when I click on my j-stick column to map the command to a button, I can't get the dialogue box to open allowing me to finish the mapping.

BTW, the numpad 5 still centres the view if I use the keyboard but for some reason it no longer works with the j-stick which had a button to mapped?

Does this file have something to do with using the UI commands, UiLayer Mod.zip?

Edited by fitness88

Isn't numpad 5 for re-centering the default view?

Interesting it was working well in VR until I implemented:

RCTRL + RSHFT + KP4,2,6,8 = Moves your eyepoint L,D,R,U respectively

RCTRL + RSHFT + KP*, KPMinus = Moves your eyepoint fore and aft

Now I can no longer use it, it just stopped functioning.

Using UI from the drop down list allows the use of some VR specific commands but when I click on my j-stick column to map the command to a button, I can't get the dialogue box to open allowing me to finish the mapping.

BTW, the numpad 5 still centres the view if I use the keyboard but for some reason it no longer works with the j-stick which had a button to mapped?

Does this file have something to do with using the UI commands, UiLayer Mod.zip?

I think you are probably going to struggle trying to use anything outside of the UI layer for re-centering in VR. I could be wrong but just my guess. Same with changing your eyepoint, in VR want to move your eyes little further forward - move your head/body little farther forward. Alternatively move your head back a little then hit recenter VR with it back, should move your eyepoint forward some when you move back into your previous position.

re: problem clicking in UI layer, make sure you are in true full screen ( ALT+ENTER).

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I think you are probably going to struggle trying to use anything outside of the UI layer for re-centering in VR. I could be wrong but just my guess. Same with changing your eyepoint, in VR want to move your eyes little further forward - move your head/body little farther forward. Alternatively move your head back a little then hit recenter VR with it back, should move your eyepoint forward some when you move back into your previous position.

re: problem clicking in UI layer, make sure you are in true full screen ( ALT+ENTER).

Thanks dburne, I will try what you said. I have noticed how important it is to have your seat position properly adjusted, it makes a difference in the optics. Is there a way to save your seat position so you don't have to adjust it each time you enter into the cockpit?

BTW, I noticed the Oculus headset has an orange standby light on all the time and the headset stays a bit warm. Do you know if you're supposed to unplug it when not in use?

Is there a way to save your seat position so you don't have to adjust it each time you enter into the cockpit?

I don't think so, but really if you just hit VR re-center when you first enter the cockpit, you should be good to go. That is what I always do, well sometimes I don't even need to do that upon entering cockpit if my seated position has not really changed.

BTW, I noticed the Oculus headset has an orange standby light on all the time and the headset stays a bit warm. Do you know if you're supposed to unplug it when not in use?

That is normal, it is getting power even in standby and will be a touch warm.

No requirement to unplug, your preference. Mine is a bit of a hassled to get to behind my tower so I have just left it plugged in all the time.

Have fun!

Don B

I don't think so, but really if you just hit VR re-center when you first enter the cockpit, you should be good to go. That is what I always do, well sometimes I don't even need to do that upon entering cockpit if my seated position has not really changed.

That is normal, it is getting power even in standby and will be a touch warm.

No requirement to unplug, your preference. Mine is a bit of a hassled to get to behind my tower so I have just left it plugged in all the time.

Have fun!

When I enter, I'm too far back, the cockpit gauges look blurry, once I adjust forward I can see clearer, so that is my first adjustment, the next one is to raise my seat a bit higher.

I think I read there may be a way to save the settings...I'll let you know if I find it.

When I enter, I'm too far back, the cockpit gauges look blurry, once I adjust forward I can see clearer, so that is my first adjustment, the next one is to raise my seat a bit higher.

I think I read there may be a way to save the settings...I'll let you know if I find it.

Hmm I don't know, if I enter and am too far back I just use the VR re-center to change it to where it should be. I have it mapped to a joystick button and a quick press and it is done.

Don B

Hmm I don't know, if I enter and am too far back I just use the VR re-center to change it to where it should be. I have it mapped to a joystick button and a quick press and it is done.

OK I think I understand now that the re-centering button for VR functions differently than in 2D. I hope to check it out later tonight...time permitting.

Hi fitness88, someone posted on another thread to lean forward in the pit, press numpad 5 to re-center view, and then sit back.

ASUS Maximus X Hero; i7-8700K OC'd @ 5 Ghz; Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 AMP Extreme 8GB; 32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200Mhz RAM; 500GB Samsung EVO 960 SSD; Warthog HOTAS; Saitek Pro Flight Rudder pedals; HP Reverb VR; Realtus Forcefeel Game Pad running on SimShaker for Aviators software. :thumbup:

Hi fitness88, someone posted on another thread to lean forward in the pit, press numpad 5 to re-center view, and then sit back.

Thanks crowbar I'll check it out.

I'm still playing with the graphic settings. Oculus is not recognized in the Nvidia control panel which is disappointing because I'd like to make some changes. Also I'm experimenting with quality over performance and performance over quality in the settings.

Have you mapped to the UI control options?