Slug Builds a Thing

Slugtastic

S!

After many many plan revisions I've ended on the following, less-than-pretty-but-more-functional cockpit!

56hIRIq.png

My goals are to create a modular front panel that will allow me to semi-easily switch between modern combat, WWII combat, and cessna style general aviation with a yoke. The side panels are going to start pretty bare, but will eventually be added to over time.

So far I've started the chair! Some build pics:

Finished Chair

rQBVztQ.jpg

Ergonomic Test

hRx79uZ.jpg

Internal Structure

l0hY5n2.jpg

Hoping to start building the panels this week!

Edited by Slugtastic
updated design plan

A quick hack job to test my thoughts on embedding the MFDs, since there will be a screen behind them. This is in 3/4 MDF. I love the idea of using MDF (it's an MFD in MDF) for this because it is just so darn shapeable, but it's really heavy... This panel would be 1/2" most likely.

55mnJ8G.jpg

Edited by Slugtastic
forgot the pic

I love to see talented people making flight sim hardware, that is really looking great I am sure it must really add to the immersion factor:thumbup:

Hey thanks for the huge compliment! Really means a lot to me. I'm certainly not even a fraction as talented as most cockpit builders here, but it should be fun to build something of my own design :)

Updated my design a little! I didn't like my controls being so low, so decided to move the panel to on top of the flat shelf. This will also make changing this panel much easier should I still decide to. This all came about when I did some more "cardboard testing" for positions of controls, knee clearance, etc. Going out today to buy the remaining wood I need!

56hIRIq.png

It's built! My buddy modeling the beautiful set up.

gkWgVxX.jpg

Gz2hfDh.jpg

Next up I'll be putting in some new switch panels and stuff, then fill in gaps, then paint! Will update as it goes. I can post build pics too if anyone is interested.

Also waiting on new joystick and rudder pedals before building the floor.

Edited by Slugtastic

Really nice start Slug. Seat cushion looks great.

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908

• 3 weeks later...

Made some more progress! It's now 'complete' until my Crosswinds arrive and my VKB fighter (will be building a floor piece to mount them on, and probably adding a curved nose to the cockpit to house it all.

I currently have the slugpit in WWII mode (without the front screens), but exchanging the top panel takes 60 seconds tops. The entire thing is super sturdy, and incredibly comfortable. I could not be happier with this!

Oh also you'll see that I added side panels. It felt strange not having walls on your sides... Just felt too open. Feels a lot more realistic this way.

Excuse the mess! Been too buys building to clean up down there yet.

yDg4KUT.jpg

BX9gBWg.jpg

Total cost so far, with paint, is just under $200.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey question about your cockpit`

what would did you use for the sides? the chair and the instrument panel looks like MDF but is the sides also MDF? I'm trying to do the same but don't want to use MDF for everything because the weight and stuff. Just actually want MDF for the chair!

• 2 weeks later...