Feature Request: Cyclic-Override in Auto-Hover

Bearfoot

So the auto-hover mode is a concession to SP, allowing for player to jump into A/C seat while pilot holds hover.

A really useful "collective override" is provided, to allow for A/C to command helo to rise or sink to help with hiding, firing, etc. I presume this is to provide for crucial small movements which, IRL, would be effected by pilot.

It would be really useful for similar movements in the lateral plan, allowing helo to, e.g., slip sideways from behind cover instead of just up and down. Many times, this is not only a viable tactic, but maybe even preferred. To achieve this now requires: heads-up from Vivienne, disengaging auto-hover, inputing cyclic, restabilizing auto-hover, and then heads-down in Vivienne again. Very disruptive!

To effect this, maybe a "cyclic override" mode could be allowed? Just like collective override, except, accepting input from cyclic (only; i.e. collective override is disengaged if engaged)? If allowing cyclic override ends up destabilizing hover (too fast, too strong, too sudden, etc.), then auto-hover can auto disengage?

is it realistic?

Sure.

As realistic as the current auto-hover mode is realistic, right?

FYI (and I learned this myself recently), the auto-hover mode is a game concession for SP. IRL, no such mode exists. In game, this simulates pilot holding hover while player does A/C functions. What I am proposing/requesting adds just one more axis of control to the auto-hover for the A/C to request. No more or less realistic than existing auto-hover or collective override.

FYI (and I learned this myself recently), the auto-hover mode is a game concession for SP. IRL, no such mode exists. In game, this simulates pilot holding hover while player does A/C functions. ...

Are you sure ??

Check for CVS (Coupleur de Vol Stationnaire)

Only the auto-collective is a concession but you can still desactivate it.

People fly planes, pilots fly helicopters

I am basing the info that RL Gazelle has no auto-hover on what was discussed here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=182854

where some posters at least seem sure that auto-hover is a game concession.

Looking up "Coupleur de Vol Stationnaire", however, turned this up:

http://www.checksix-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=177157&start=1000

where one poster claims that it exists IRL with auto-collective a game concession (confirming what myHelijumper says here and the other thread).

I agree with the OP, a method of repositioning without disengaging auto hover. This could be the aforementioned cyclic override, or my preference would be a way of communicating with an ai pilot eg. Left 50 or forward 100 or make heading 140.

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

@wolf5: Thanks for your support ;-)

It is always nice to read comments of people that actually know the real deal and point out the things how they really are.

I do not like assumptions based on missing intel.

Who wants to know how the real helicopter works has to perform the outhover in multicrew.

Edited by borchi_2b

@wolf5: Thanks for your support ;-)

It is always nice to read comments of people that actually know the real deal and point out the things how they really are.

I do not like assumptions based on missing intel.

Who wants to know how the real helicopter works has to perform the outhover in multicrew.

Hi borchi,

I agree on all counts! -- yay for people who know the real deal and boo to assumptions based on missing intel! And always glad to learn the truth / corrected when wrong.

So contrary to the thread I posted where I was told autohover is a game addition, auto-hover is there in RL, but, as stated by myhelijumper, the auto-collective part is a game addition?

Auto-collective does not exist in the Gazelle and is a "game" addition but is only available when you are alone in the chopper.

IIRC the auto-rudder does not work exactly like in game too : When you engage auto-hover you are still in control of the rudder but you can engage "slave to viviane" and then the autopilot takes control of the pedals and point the chopper where the camera is looking.

Anyway, as said by borchi_2b when you are in multi-crew the auto-hover works just like IRL :)

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

It's good and interesting information about the real life vs sim functions of the Gazelle. However the OP was requesting a feature to aid the use of the Gazelle in single player simulator. Is it something that is possible to be implemented?

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

....Is it something that is possible to be implemented?

I'm sure most things are possible but is there a need?

If you are proficient with the airframe, disengaging Autohover, re-positioning and re-engaging AH is not an issue nor difficult in SP mode.

I think Polychop have enough on their plate at the moment with internal re-organisation..

SIGBLOCK.png

I'm sure most things are possible but is there a need?

If you are proficient with the airframe, disengaging Autohover, re-positioning and re-engaging AH is not an issue nor difficult in SP mode.

I think Polychop have enough on their plate at the moment with internal re-organisation..

It certainly is not difficult.

But it does take extra time.

And that extra time can kill 'ya!

But the time taken to go from staring down at Vivienne, to dis-engaging AH, repositioning, re-engaging AH, and finally to focus back on Vivienne etc., is more than enough for a Refleks to be sent flying into your face from the target! A cyclic override would allow you to sit at Vivienne, command the side-slide (a pop-"side" instead of pop-up, if you will) without the extra precious 10-20 seconds it takes to switch to flight mode etc. Is this extra time reflective of how it would be in RL? I don't know. I guess one can experiment with the maneuver in multi-crew and compare with how long it takes in SP.

Either way,

(a) I agree that this should not be a priority over, e.g. the FM.

(b) I agree that it is not "realistic" in the sense that the RL Gazelle does not have it.

But I do think that it is a reasonable concession of realism to task-load reduction in SP, just like auto-collective is, and I do think it will be useful in SP for that same reason.