No VR options in UI layer, how is that possible?

jozeff

Hello folks,

Rather new to dcs and vr......

There is no toggle Vr option in my UI layer. Reading a lot about people using that option but there is no such thing in my menu.

The UI layer I can find but it has only 4 things to choose from, all about multiplayer stuff.

I would like to zoom in vr using my oculus!

I use dcs nevada non steam version btw.

Any help would be great!

Jozeff

The netherlands

Hello folks,

Rather new to dcs and vr......

There is no toggle Vr option in my UI layer. Reading a lot about people using that option but there is no such thing in my menu.

The UI layer I can find but it has only 4 things to choose from, all about multiplayer stuff.

I would like to zoom in vr using my oculus!

I use dcs nevada non steam version btw.

Any help would be great!

Jozeff

The netherlands

I didn't find the few options in UI offered anything I couldn't get from using the aircraft mapping through my HOTAS software.

• RCTRL + RSHFT + KP4,2,6,8 = Moves your eyepoint L,D,R,U respectively
  • RCTRL + RSHFT + KP*, KPMinus = Moves your eyepoint fore and aft
  • RALT + KP0 = Saves your current eyepoint position
  • KP5 Recenters your view (Bind to a joystick or button box button with Joy2Key or other remapper to make centering simple)

DerekSpeare is the author

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=164892

Edited by fitness88

Thanks but I know how to move forward and aft.

Would really like to zoom in VR but I just dont know how...it is possible according to other simmers here!

This is really not making much sense - can you post a screen shot of what you are looking at in the control setup menu?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The VR Zoom is in this Options page:

UILayerPage.thumb.png.2cb106b111d8bf1cd2c064303d72deec.png

Just map it to a button on your joystick and you'll be able to easily zoom in and out. The zoom is not adjustable (AFAIK). It's either zoomed in, or normal view.

Edited by gorgar0

Thanks but I know how to move forward and aft.

Would really like to zoom in VR but I just dont know how...it is possible according to other simmers here!

This is your zoom:

RCTRL + RSHFT + KP*, KPMinus = Moves your eyepoint fore and aft

This is your zoom:

RCTRL + RSHFT + KP*, KPMinus = Moves your eyepoint fore and aft

That is not zoom as I believe it is only moving the eye-point, not the whole view?

Edit - just took a look myself, yes that only moves the eye-point - like you are moving your body fore and aft. I tend to set mine by just using the re-center VR command I have assigned to a button adjusting my position to achieve what I want. But this is not zoom.

Zoom magnifies the entire view ahead - think of looking through binoculars. For looking at distant targets. Especially in VR it is a good thing.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Wow, you are missing even more than VR zoom and re-center, very strange.

What DCS version are you running? You do have your Rift hooked up and are running in it right?

First - and I am not sure it makes a difference - go over to the VR tab in the options bar, and make sure you have a check there to enable VR. If not, put one there and restart DCS then check again your UI Layer.

Barring that, you may be looking at running a DCS Repair.

I am really not sure what else it could be.

Don B

Hi,

I checked the VR enable stuff, it is enabled and pixel density is set to 1.7.

I have these things missing in menu in

DCS 1.5, 20. and 1.5 open beta!

All versions don't have the Toggle VR zoom.

Here is what you should have:

UI%20Layer.jpg

I am completely baffled why you would not have that, in all three versions.

Can you list what version number one of those is on?

Edit - Dang wrong pic, I hate photobucket - will fix shortly.

Ok fixed image now whew!

Edited by dburne

Don B

jozeff - I am a little confused.

Looking more at your screenshot, it does not have the appearance to me you are running in VR?

Notice in mine how you can see the hangar with the plane behind the DCS menu along with the curved appearance of the menu?

You do have your VR headset on and viewing the image through it correct? Also which VR headset are you using...

Edited by dburne

Don B

Uhhhh, is it necessary to actually wear the Oculus rift to see these options?

I dont remember seeing the vr options when I had the rift on. But, I'm not using the rift now!

Just for shits and giggles why not power it up, put it on and see what shows up in VR? May offer no new information but can't hurt certainly.

That is not zoom as I believe it is only moving the eye-point, not the whole view?

Edit - just took a look myself, yes that only moves the eye-point - like you are moving your body fore and aft. I tend to set mine by just using the re-center VR command I have assigned to a button adjusting my position to achieve what I want. But this is not zoom.

Zoom magnifies the entire view ahead - think of looking through binoculars. For looking at distant targets. Especially in VR it is a good thing.

When I move eye-point forward when looking out the cockpit it zooms at least 2x-3x. I didn't notice a difference when I mapped the 'toggle VR zoom' it seemed the same as when I move the eye-point.

I noticed you mapped as well to the shift key + another button, why did I have trouble mapping just a button by itself, I needed to add a modifier?

When I move eye-point forward when looking out the cockpit it zooms at least 2x-3x. I didn't notice a difference when I mapped the 'toggle VR zoom' it seemed the same as when I move the eye-point.

Moving the eye-point forward will certainly make the gauges and switches in the cockpit appear larger as you are moving closer to them and they are already pretty close to you anyway. It does not with the distant terrain/objects. Zoom will, again it is like one is looking through binoculars. At least when I did the same moving my eye-point as you did that is certainly how it appears to me. But hey if that works for you and you are happy with that, then that is all that matters. I would encourage you to try VR Zoom first for comparison to see which you prefer.

I noticed you mapped as well to the shift key + another button, why did I have trouble mapping just a button by itself, I needed to add a modifier?

No modifier is not needed, I just prefer using it in some cases. Increases the number of commands I can use. You can map a button the same. Sometimes DCS can be a little finicky in button mapping, there have been times I have had to do it two or three times to get it to take. Ensure you are in true full screen ( ALT+ENTER) before assigning. Also keep in mind those VR settings in the UI layer normally require a restart of DCS for them to take affect.

Hope this helps,

Don B

Moving the eye-point forward will certainly make the gauges and switches in the cockpit appear larger as you are moving closer to them and they are already pretty close to you anyway. It does not with the distant terrain/objects. Zoom will, again it is like one is looking through binoculars. At least when I did the same moving my eye-point as you did that is certainly how it appears to me. But hey if that works for you and you are happy with that, then that is all that matters. I would encourage you to try VR Zoom first for comparison to see which you prefer.

No modifier is not needed, I just prefer using it in some cases. Increases the number of commands I can use. You can map a button the same. Sometimes DCS can be a little finicky in button mapping, there have been times I have had to do it two or three times to get it to take. Ensure you are in true full screen ( ALT+ENTER) before assigning. Also keep in mind those VR settings in the UI layer normally require a restart of DCS for them to take affect.

Hope this helps,

I will tonight setup the vr zoom and see the difference and get back.

Yes I noticed a re-set of DCS is necessary sometimes.

Yes dburne you are correct the VR zoom is a totally different control especially when you look at a gauge the focus goes there. Is there a way to discretely zoom, it seems when you touch the button it zooms right to your face until you let go. Is there a way to zoom 1/2 way and have it hold that position without having to hold the button the whole time?

The UI re-center is no different I find from the NP5.

I prefer to use the mapping software with my Saitek because it has shift states. Do the modifiers do the same thing as a shift state?

Yes dburne you are correct the VR zoom is a totally different control especially when you look at a gauge the focus goes there. Is there a way to discretely zoom, it seems when you touch the button it zooms right to your face until you let go. Is there a way to zoom 1/2 way and have it hold that position without having to hold the button the whole time??

Not that I am aware of. I mainly use it for zooming in on a target.

I prefer to use the mapping software with my Saitek because it has shift states. Do the modifiers do the same thing as a shift state?

I think so. I have my Warthog paddle set as a modifier, so if I assign a command to say Paddle+Button4U on my joystick for landing gear toggle, then I have just Button 4U without Paddle being held available for another command.

Don B

I would definitly try to repair all 3 packages.

Grab DCS Updater GUI by SkateZilla, add all your builds to it and run the repair.

Helped me first when some modules weren't properly updated (The keybinding Section for the F-5E were totaly differently named than on my friends install -_-)

If that doesnt do the trick, I would go for the reinstall tbh. When I startet using DCS again after some time, my default keyboardbindings were suddenly missing... Repair didnt help... Just the good old delete and reinstall :(. But since then I'm happy.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

I installed the on/off mod for the VR zoom and for the whole day I had the same issue as jozeff. I did a lot of lua checking to make sure I didn't mix up any of the files, but some how on their own all the commands came back late tonight. I wish I could tell you what caused the issue and how it straightened itself out. It was frustrating because I knew it had to do with a lua file but couldn't figure it out.

Yes dburne you are correct the VR zoom is a totally different control especially when you look at a gauge the focus goes there. Is there a way to discretely zoom, it seems when you touch the button it zooms right to your face until you let go. Is there a way to zoom 1/2 way and have it hold that position without having to hold the button the whole time?

The UI re-center is no different I find from the NP5.

Yes I use one of the switches on my HOTAS warthog, you can only switch them either to on, or off so if you use them for zoom, on will be in, and off will be out, no need to hold your finger on the button. For some reason though I dont find that my zoom function is working on 2.04, anyone else have this problem?

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,