Find a wingman with TACAN

blast

Hi everyone,

How to find the direction of a wingman with the TACAN? I'm not sure if this feature is working on the M2000 now. It should very useful during multiplayer session.

Ty

You just can't find the direction of another fighter with TACAN, only range.

And it's the same in real life.

Full TACAN emitter is too big to fit on a fighter. You will find it on ground, ships or air tanker, but not on fighter.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

You just can't find the direction of another fighter with TACAN, only range.

And it's the same in real life.

Full TACAN emitter is too big to fit on a fighter. You will find it on ground, ships or air tanker, but not on fighter.

Ty for the answer. Apparently it can be used in air to air nav with the A10 too.

http://www.mudspike.com/how-to-use-the-air-to-air-tacan-in-dcs-a-10c/

What is the difference between transmitted and received mode in M2000. I was thinking that Transmitted mode was for the others friendly fighters to localize you. Im a bit confused here...

Ty

Edited by blast

TACAN ranging works in m2k to m2k and even m2k to a10. What u need to do is to set freq 63 channels apart. For example lead puts tacan to Y01 and wingman to Y64. TACAN must be in A/A mode. Dont forget to change ur HSI (compas on front panel) to TAC parameter. TACAN only gives u range between planes, ignore bearings on HSI, they are fixed in place.

What is the difference between transmitted and received mode in M2000.

I don't know about the M2000 in particular, but in general; transmit mode = range only, receive mode = bearing only and T/R = both. As explained in the Mudspike article, TACAN is basically a military VOR+DME. A DME requires bidirectional communication between the interrogator (aircraft) and transponder (ground station), while VOR receivers just receive the FM+AM VOR signals and compares the phase between the demodulated carrier and sideband in order to get the bearing to the station.

For the simple A/A mode (with just ranging) one aircraft acts a DME interrogator, while the other one acts as the transponder.