Winds of Change! A Parting of Ways

Cobra847

I don't think they were putting planes to match the theater otherwise we would be swimming in eastern block iron. I'm pretty new to the community, but I would speculate that the Caucasus map was more or less paired with the KA-50, and then ED started "cranking" out planes?

C'mon, for sure you must be wrong ;). Last time I've checked many of the MP servers have scenarios with those aircrafts. Actually all of them, WW2, 1'st to 4'th gen jets at the same time and obviously F-15 and Su-27 fighting side by side on both sides.

Being serious however. Just recently I've been collecting information for mission building. There are no fighters in Georgian AF. As for strikers - 11 Su-25, 6 of them modernized, trainers - four L-39 and four L-29, 12 Mi-24 (some modernized), a number of Mi-8 and UH-1H and then a number of transport aircrafts and search and rescue helicopters. The only one fighter, a single MiG-21 was rumored to be in service of Abkhazian air forces.

By the way, interesting fact is that after collecting some brief information about the region one call easily learn how far the Caucasus map is from reality. Some of the airfields, AB that we currently have don't exist anymore. On the other hand some important locations (airbases, harbours, etc..) are not modeled. Really looking forward to the upgraded version of the map.

Coming back to the topic, the map is not the main constraint but the lack of AI units from the era is. Having units from Korean conflict period it would be possible to setup interesting missions for 1'st gen jets even over Caucasus. In opposite situation, without units and with Korea map not much could be achieved apart of some dog-fighting.

Like already many here are probably eager ( even myself) to try out flying 4th gen aircraft in 1944 Normandy with modern ground assets. just for the fun of it. even knowing its technically "fantasy" and not exactly realisitc either, but hey that still "simulation" as long as you dont fly the aircraft with simpliefied controls or "arcade" mode.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

I don't think they were putting planes to match the theater otherwise we would be swimming in eastern block iron. I'm pretty new to the community, but I would speculate that the Caucasus map was more or less paired with the KA-50, and then ED started "cranking" out planes?

Yea pretty much though Caucsus Map dates back to the Days of Lockon.

which centered around a Fictional conflict around Crimea in Ukraine, which also included the USAF flown F15C and A10A, that got deployed to the area.

when Ka50 came out was around the Time War in Georgia happened i think so instead they decided to better Model areas around Russo-Georgian border, and instead remove Crimean Assets because it be too demanding for hardware at the time. ( or something along those lines)

and yea since then aircraft modules have simply been piling up. as as such Flaming cliffs and DCS have relied on fictional scenarios taking place within the current map.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

wow i didnt even know mig21 started under entirely different banner before Leatherneck.

I might be wrong, but I believe to know that a one man Company has started the Mig21 Project and the guy was called Becel...I dont know, I might be entirly wrong, but that is what I´m remembering about the beginning.

He made quite a good progress and shared lots of pics, but suddenly there was silence. Someone might correct me though

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

Wow, not sure what to think about this.

I remember when the MiG-21 project started under completely different name, then the entire thing blew up under circumstances unclear to this day, and LN team was then formed to finish the work... And now they are breaking up again, this time luckily in far less dramatic / more transparent way.

When beczl ran off with the crowdfunded Fishbed loot, Leatherneck answered the call. The newly disenfranchised associates from beczl's con game- who never had access to any of the funds from the pre-order promises, and whose work was stolen through IP holdings, went right back to work and redeveloped the MiG-21 a second time. The only reason its release was as fast as it was stemmed from the fact they were doing work they'd already done once, and knew the pitfalls and difficulties from that prior effort.

What is important to remember, and remains forgotten by a substantial amount of the community, is that Leatherneck only began to make an income from the Fishbed *after* it was released with new sales; every prior pre-order sale received their copy gratis, meaning that module made them, all told, perhaps 60% of what it should have.

While it's understandable, to a point, that people would be a bit more antsy around LNS at the start, given the innuendo made about beczl and such, they more than made up for what happened. Honestly, while they looked, and continue to do so in the guise of M3 to make up for the additional promises, there was never any real incentive for them to do anything beyond copies of the module to the crowdfunded. LNS didn't do the community wrong, yet this fact underlined much of the animus towards them, at least early on.

Ultimately, that is a substantial piece of why I believe they changed their both their social and preorder policies in the development of the Viggen; there's a point where the back and forth over insubstantial updates isn't worth the effort. Better to open dialogue when there is substantial work to share, and to open the sales of the module when it's already been handed over and slotted for upload by Eagle, than deal with the constant begging for scraps by dogs looking for something to bark at.

The same policy has clearly applied here. The separation was long in coming, and took place on their schedule. When it mattered for the public to know, they announced the amicable split, producing as much transparency as the public needs to know about what has occurred.

The respective teams of Magnitude 3 and Heatblur are experienced, and both have schedules they expect to meet within the year. And both have not only set new standards with their releases, they went well beyond what was actually their responsibility from the get go- a class action suit would have found the members of LNS blameless in the crowdfunding debacle, leaving them without need to give away a substantial piece of work.

I don't see the separation as lucky- I see it as responsible. Given past evidence, I wouldn't expect anything less from this group. No matter the cause of the split, they handle things in a reasonable fashion.

arent just about all western aircraft misplaced in Caucasus?

last time i checked USAF did not participate in the russo georgian war

neither did ww2 US/german aircraft, Korean jets , nor legacy fighters like the F5E or Mig21bis :smartass:

Yes they are, that is why I fly the Su25T in Georgia and the F15C in Nevada.

Yes they are, that is why I fly the Su25T in Georgia and the F15C in Nevada.

Su25T is pretty much just a demonstrator aircraft. 3 prototypes built, and only additional 8 combat capable ones produced and the project cancelled in 2000.

So if you really intent on historical documentary realism you should be flying just the " Vanilla " su25 instead, and perhaps mod the Georgia map since not all the airfield there are active anymore ;)

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Su25T is pretty much just a demonstrator aircraft. 3 prototypes built, and only additional 8 combat capable ones produced and the project cancelled in 2000.

So if you really intent on historical documentary realism you should be flying just the " Vanilla " su25 instead, and perhaps mod the Georgia map since not all the airfield there are active anymore ;)

Yes but the Su-25T was used in Chechenya so it's quite at home busting tanks on that small corner of the map.

Yes but the Su-25T was used in Chechenya so it's quite at home busting tanks on that small corner of the map.

Not exactly.

yes deployed to mozdock for the second Chechen war, but just a mere 2 of them though. so for such intent on realism remember to only ever use two. and in 1999, and fly no more then 39 sorties.;)

https://books.google.ca/books?id=wbGdCwAAQBAJ&pg=PA76&lpg=PA76&dq=su25+in+chencnya&source=bl&ots=fPE4twMDw9&sig=Tr0Oi4VRArB0_YYZpJE-YHgnWQg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjLrfaA0tnSAhUk04MKHasJAngQ6AEINTAE#v=onepage&q=su25%20in%20chencnya&f=false

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro