Just after tale off, my engine stop / crash

Hello here :)

Just got the nice BF109K-4 and I star learning it. After a cold and dark start and just after take off, mu engine suddenly stop/crash.

How can I prevent that ?

Thanks

Specs: Win10 64bits Pro, Intel i9-9900K | 32Go | RTX 2080 Ti | M.2 SSD 850go x2

Hardware: HTC Vive Pro + X56

Maps : Normandy + Assets | Gulf | Nevada

DCS Modules: FC3 | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | A-10C | F/A-18C | Ka-50 | SuperCarrier | F-14A/B | F-5E | F-86F Sabre | MiG-15bis | Mig-19 | MiG-21bis | AV-8B | Fw 190 D-9 | SA342 | P-51D | Bf 109 K-4 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | M-2000C | F-16C

If your engine ran with manifold pressure above 1,45ATA without MW50 On, it could happen.

Or, did you set the automatic pitch control to On?

• Like 1

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

yes pitch control was on

DCS Modules: FC3 | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | A-10C | F/A-18C | Ka-50 | SuperCarrier | F-14A/B | F-5E | F-86F Sabre | MiG-15bis | Mig-19 | MiG-21bis | AV-8B | Fw 190 D-9 | SA342 | P-51D | Bf 109 K-4 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | M-2000C | F-16C

Manifold pressure too High, for too long as per the post above or you may have rocked the throttle back / forward too quickly. Bf.109 has a electric pitch control, that needs a bit to adjust prop pitch...

• Like 1

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Ok thanks, I'll make some more training !

I would double check the pitch control before take off. The thing to do is add to your check list something like switching off the pitch control, changing the pitch using the manual controls, then switching the pitch control back to automatic.

I can pretty much guarantee the issue is down to over revving the engine if it happens so soon after take off.

If the engine is overheating, it usually takes a lot longer for the engine to seize. However, by adding a radiator control setting check to your check list will also eliminate that as a cause.

So, when you start the engine, make sure the rads are set to fully open, and leave them there until post take off, when the increased air flow will reduce the chances of cooking the engine. Once airborne you can switch to automatic control with confidence, and only need manual control if the engine instruments start reading outside the normal operating range.

Remember that these more sophisticated simulations need more management, and being methodical in your approach will definitely help.

• Like 1

Thanks NeilWillis !

• 2 weeks later...

Takeoff at lower ata and ensure that your radiator flaps are open and do the RPM checks for takeoff and check oil temperature and coolant temperatures for a period of two minutes.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• 1 month later...
I would double check the pitch control before take off. The thing to do is add to your check list something like switching off the pitch control, changing the pitch using the manual controls, then switching the pitch control back to automatic.

I can pretty much guarantee the issue is down to over revving the engine if it happens so soon after take off.

If the engine is overheating, it usually takes a lot longer for the engine to seize. However, by adding a radiator control setting check to your check list will also eliminate that as a cause.

So, when you start the engine, make sure the rads are set to fully open, and leave them there until post take off, when the increased air flow will reduce the chances of cooking the engine. Once airborne you can switch to automatic control with confidence, and only need manual control if the engine instruments start reading outside the normal operating range.

Remember that these more sophisticated simulations need more management, and being methodical in your approach will definitely help.

First sentence >>> set governor to manual; prop pitch to 11:30 o'clock . After take-off switch to auto governor, then gear up, then outer running lights off.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

and do a run up before takeoff for two minutes

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• 1 month later...

I have, for the first time, experienced an engine overheat and failure just after take-off today in 2.1 in a mission with hot start.

It happened twice in a row and when it happened for the second time I realized that the radiator control was in the "Zu" (= closed or Off) position. Normally in a hot start mission it should be in the "Auto" position when the mission starts. I have never seen this failure before. Seems that the default switch positions at mission start are not well managed by the software.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

A very good tactic I started to use is to run up the engine, to 2400 RPM with auto pitch control. After takeoff, I circle the airfield 2 times doing a pattern to check if the engine will hold. Also, I keep radiators open (AUF). The airfield idea is good for those seizures...