How do you ensure you are taking the highest quality screenshots?

TheThumper

After viewing some of the awesome screenshots posted here I realize I am not getting the highest quality screenshots I should be getting. I know I have seen a post long ago about some settings for taking screenshots in the highest quality, but I have searched and can not find it again. Seems like you could update a config file somewhere to help with this. Can anyone please lend me a helping hand.

-Thump

Edited by TheThumper

~Thump.

Computer Specs:

i7-6700K@4.00GHz, 32GB, 850 EVO 1TB, GTX 1080 Ti, Samsung Odyssey VR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks Raven, definitely the ones that are worked on after the screenshot are awesome, but I was looking making the source screenshot the best it could be.

Well, I kept digging and finally found my answer, it was on the ED SIMS Screenshot Thread! Title says no discussion, but a few broke the rules enough to drop the nugget I was looking for.

The answer can be found here

but in short there is an screenshotQuality variable you can play with. If you goto update the graphics file you will see there is a readme that informs you to now update the autoexec.cfg found in your SavedGames folder

• Like 1

~Thump.

Computer Specs:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ah, the good old times, when I could actually post a helpful tip in the screenshot thread without getting my post deleted.

Anyway, it's probably better to put these two lines into autoexec.cfg, so you don't have to change it after every update:

options.graphics.ScreenshotQuality = 100
options.graphics.ScreenshotExt = "png"

It's in C:\Users\profile_name\Saved Games\DCS\Config\ and should be saved with UTF-8 encoding. Obviously, "jpg" or "bmp" works too.

Edited by GeorgeLKMT

I take care of many things when I take my sreenshots.

I have HDR disabled as there isn't much visible than an darkened aircraft. However there are still some good screenshots with it enabled.

There is a way to disable the ground height restriction. It allows you to take screenshots right over the surface or even under it.

It's possible to zoom in and out. However if you zoom to much the background gets incredible ugly IMO. At a certain distance the shadows disappear once you move/scroll to far away from the aircraft.

Another option you can enable is depth of field which is quite cool.

One thing I highly suggest is to change weather, season and/or time, month. Sun reflections on the canopy and the aircraft itself will be visible, clouds, rain, snow and shadows. Or add some crosswind if you take a picture of a burning wreck or an aircraft flying over the burning battlefield.

Something I really like is the ability to change your camera angle with TrackIR in any view.

Here is an old thread but there are still some useful things in there.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114260

Screen_170219_162956.thumb.jpg.efddbc3d5f8607ea16fea34eaf607587.jpg

Screen_161007_160023.thumb.jpg.f782cfa890823c8b20869204781b1800.jpg

Screen_161127_121030.thumb.jpg.12faddae72356429e4757f1daf5ec816.jpg

Screen_170311_211300.thumb.jpg.4b2a2c2d854550eb63788458b700147a.jpg

Edited by Texac

@Texac, thanks for the tips. I just visited your screenshot page as well as your youtube channel (now subscribed). You do VERY good work. Everyone should be checking it out.

Thanks again for sharing.

~Thump.

Computer Specs:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Texac's link to the camera commands are good, Im learning now how to make cinematic videos, Baby steps at a a time, I find zooming out slightly will give more of an effect also to terrain, But not to much so the aircraft looks streched.

Ah, the good old times, when I could actually post a helpful tip in the screenshot thread without getting my post deleted.

Anyway, it's probably better to put these two lines into autoexec.cfg, so you don't have to change it after every update:

It's in C:\Users\profile_name\Saved Games\DCS\Config\ and should be saved with UTF-8 encoding. Obviously, "jpg" or "bmp" works too.

I was with you until I opened the config file, and didn't find an autoexec.cfg file. Where is it?

Thanks

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

Since the file is meant to override the DCS defaults it isn't created by default so you must create the file. Just open your favorite text editor (Notepad++ for me) and create a new file named 'autoexec.cfg' in the following directory 'C:\Users\<YOURWINDOWSUSERNAMEHERE>\Saved Games\DCS\Config\'.

Add the lines:

to the file and save. You should be good to go then. Remember each time you change the override settings in the 'autoexec.cfg' file (ScreenshotExt = "bmp" for example) you have to reload DCS.

~Thump.

Computer Specs:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Since the file is meant to override the DCS defaults it isn't created by default so you must create the file. Just open your favorite text editor (Notepad++ for me) and create a new file named 'autoexec.cfg' in the following directory 'C:\Users\<YOURWINDOWSUSERNAMEHERE>\Saved Games\DCS\Config\'.

Add the lines:

to the file and save. You should be good to go then. Remember each time you change the override settings in the 'autoexec.cfg' file (ScreenshotExt = "bmp" for example) you have to reload DCS.

I think that worked. Thank you.

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

The quality setting should not matter once you set the output to PNG. It is lossless compression format.

It is also worth noting, for the sake of this discussion, that setting jpg format to a quality of 100 still creates a somewhat lossy compressed file.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• 2 years later...

In 2.5, you can find this lines in "graphics" file in the directory "DCS/config"

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip w/ VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Ace-torq rudder, VPC SharKa-50 Collective Grip w/ K51 collective base, VPC SharKa-50 Control Panel, Oculus Quest 2 HMD

HP Pavilion Gaming 15 I5-10300H, GTX-1650 4GB, RAM 24GB
ASUS Rog Strix G17 R7 5800H, RTX-3070 8GB, 2k-165Hz, RAM 32GB 

Modules: F-4E Phantom 2, AH-64D Apache, Mi-24P Hind, Mi-8MTV2 w/Ns-430 Navigation Unit, Ka-50 Black Shark 3, F-15E Strike Eagle, Mirage F1, F-16C Viper, F/A-18C Hornet w/ SuperCarrier, F-14 A/B Tomcat, JF-17 Thunder, A-10C-2, P-51D, BF-109K-4, Uh-1 Huey, AJS-37 Viggen, M-2000C Mirage, AV-8B Harrier, CASA C-101 Aviojet, Mig-15bis, Mig-21bis, FC3, CA.

Maps: Syria, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Caucasus, South Atlantic, Sinai, Normandy 2.0.